Brand New 2018 CX9 Touring premium rolls back on steep hills normal?

doesntmatterz

:
CX9 Touring
Hey all,

Seems I finally found an active forum. Recently got a 2018 CX9 Touring Premium AWD and love it (less then 100 miles on it), however I live in a quite hilly area. Today I noticed that on some of the hills it does roll back. I never experienced this on my older automatic cars and so this is new to me. Read a bunch of stuff online, some say its normal, some say it varies from vehicle to vehicle.

I read the manual and it does show the Mazda CX9 2018 has hill assist but it didnt do anything for me in my tests. I am curious for other owners of 2018 CX5 / CX9 if yours also rolls back? Did I get a lemon? (Brand new CX9 highly unlikely..).

I appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Hey all,

Seems I finally found an active forum. Recently got a 2018 CX9 Touring Premium AWD and love it (less then 100 miles on it), however I live in a quite hilly area. Today I noticed that on some of the hills it does roll back. I never experienced this on my older automatic cars and so this is new to me. Read a bunch of stuff online, some say its normal, some say it varies from vehicle to vehicle.

I read the manual and it does show the Mazda CX9 2018 has hill assist but it didnt do anything for me in my tests. I am curious for other owners of 2018 CX5 / CX9 if yours also rolls back? Did I get a lemon? (Brand new CX9 highly unlikely..).

I appreciate any feedback, thanks.
My CX-5 rolls back on very steep ramps. Try the auto hold button or the EPB.

Depends on the grade. Try smaller grades and see if it slides back. Also using the electronic parking brake is an option. As it disengages once u press the gas.

Depends on the grade. Try smaller grades and see if it slides back. Also using the electronic parking brake is an option. As it disengages once u press the gas.

Nice tip I didn't know it disengages when you accelerate.

So the conclusion of this is, its normal then? I dont have to go back to the seller and beat him up? (evil)(wiggle)

Well before you do any beating..i would definitely try going on a lesser slope first.

Electric parking brake automatic release

If the accelerator pedal is depressed with the electric parking brake applied and all of the following conditions met, the parking brake is released automatically.

The engine is running.
The driver's door is closed.
The driver's seat belt is fastened.

Last edited:
Well before you do any beating..i would definitely try going on a lesser slope first.

Electric parking brake automatic release

If the accelerator pedal is depressed with the electric parking brake applied and all of the following conditions met, the parking brake is released automatically.

The engine is running.
The driver's door is closed.
The driver's seat belt is fastened.

Sounds good to me Ill give it a test, thanks for the feedback all.

This is normal, at least based on my own experience. My CX-9 will start to slowly roll back on my driveway (about an 8% grade if I recall correctly, so not even too steep) while I wait for the garage door to open.

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/hla/

"Hill Launch Assist (HLA) helps the driver take-off smoothly when stopped on a slope.

When taking off on an slope, this function helps prevent the car from rolling backwards when the driver moves his or her foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal by maintaining an automatic brake. On gentle slopes the automatic brake releases immediately when the accelerator is pressed to ensure a smooth start. On steeper slopes the brake is released after sufficient torque has been generated.

The system operates automatically when stopped on a slope so the driver can take off smoothly and safely without making any special effort."

I've felt this in use when driving my wife's 2018 CX9 and my 2014 CX5. I haven't had too much experience in the CX9, since my wife mostly drives it, but it operates the same in the CX5. On gentle slopes, it holds just fine, but on steeper stuff, it tends to let the car roll back slightly. It's operation is very seemless since it's using the car's normal brakes, not the electronic parking brake.

What's cool is that it works in both forward and reverse. So when parallel parking on a hill, it will keep you from rolling forward when trying to reverse up a hill.

There is no need to engage the electronic parking brake unless you plan to be stopped for an extended amount of time. And even though the electronic parking brake automatically releases when you press the throttle, there is a tiny bit of lag and will be a little bit of a jolt when it releases.

So this morning I tested and here are my findings:

1-On a steep hill if you come to a complete stop not a mini roll (like at a stop sign) then the car will indeed engage Hill Assist mode. You can feel it grab BUT it will hold for like a second and a half then you can feel it let go and roll back..
2-The electronic parking brake is actually effective. Simple to use flick up, holds, hit accelerate and it auto disengages.

So unless there is a setting for Hill Assist to auto hold for longer, I think this is just how the vehicle is intended to function, no anomalies. (bowdown)

1-On a steep hill if you come to a complete stop not a mini roll (like at a stop sign) then the car will indeed engage Hill Assist mode. You can feel it grab BUT it will hold for like a second and a half then you can feel it let go and roll back..
2-The electronic parking brake is actually effective. Simple to use flick up, holds, hit accelerate and it auto disengages.

So unless there is a setting for Hill Assist to auto hold for longer, I think this is just how the vehicle is intended to function, no anomalies. (bowdown)

Thanks for the "lab work." I didn't know about the parking brake function. 👍

And, the left foot on the brake pedal in coordination with the right on the accelerator pedal will give a smoother take-off.

That reminded me...one big difference between the CX9 and CX5. My CX5 seems to hold it indefinitely, where the CX9 times out. I wish the CX9 would just hold it indefinitely.

Back