Some nice Glamour shots of the '19 in this article

whats with the hate towards the cx5 some of you (3 of you) have . are you stuck with your cx5 because your wife has your balls and you have no say in anything? get your balls back and buy something you wont talk so much ish about.

whats with the hate towards the cx5 some of you (3 of you) have . are you stuck with your cx5 because your wife has your balls and you have no say in anything? get your balls back and buy something you wont talk so much ish about.

My Cx5 has none of the issues Im poking at, and its the people and their shameless bootlicking of Mazdas mission drift, not the car.

I had an '03 BMW with a really subtle orange light that was cast from the overhead console to illuminate the gear shift/climate control/radio area. It was a nice touch and I wish my '17 had something like that. Hopefully Mazda does it well in the new one.

yeah my bmw had the same exact thing =) the memories!
what i did on my current mazda is add led footwell lighting, it actually makes driving at night a bit easier on the eyes.

My Cx5 has none of the issues Im poking at, and its the people and their shameless bootlicking of Mazdas mission drift, not the car.

pretty sure you were the one complaining about the HP of the CX5 in another thread. LOL pretty sure your CX5 has that problem and all of the problems you're poking at. I must of hit close to home with my last comment LOL

I love my CX-5. My hate is towards the Gen 2 and change of direction Mazda has been on. Not my cup of tea for what is supposed to be a performance enthusiast brand. Gen 2 CX-5 is slower, chromed the **** out, has freaking wood trim now (lol), and when they do come out with a turbo, they tune it for normal driving, not what the enthusiasts on this board wanted out of a turbo say 2 years ago when they were asking for it...you know from the ZOOM ZOOM brand.

It was also funny to be active on the forum for the past couple of years and see how much we all s*** on Mango and his CR-V with the wood trim, then Mazda does one and suddenly it gets a pass. We also s*** on his $37k CR-V and here's Mazda with a $38k signature trim, granted much nicer, but still. Forum has changed it's tune minus a few of us.

So no, you will never see me do anything but absolutely love my Gen 1 CX-5. When it comes time to replace, not sure Mazda is worth looking at anymore for what I want, but we'll see what a Gen 3 or 4 looks like by that time. In the meantime, I am not interested in slower, uglier, and much more expensive than the $25k I spent on mine.

Edit: But hey we are all looking for different things. This is just me. I am not interested in a "luxury" vehicle out of a Mazda. I want the zoom zoom. Hell if I wan't being practical when I bought my CX-5, almost regret not grabbing a Speed3 instead. Almost, not really, I love my CX-5. It's jsut sad to see Mazda not really give 2 s**** about Zoom Zoom anymore.

Last edited:
pretty sure you were the one complaining about the HP of the CX5 in another thread. LOL pretty sure your CX5 has that problem and all of the problems you're poking at. I must of hit close to home with my last comment LOL

Considering I am not married and do what I want with my money, your comment pretty well missed the mark, but it is telling that you went there with it?

My CX5 is nearly as fast as the turbo model is projected to be (per Mazda's press release on the CX5T, and Car and Driver's testing of my model, I should be within 0.3-0.4 seconds 0-60 of it, rofl!...but I do doubt this honestly) the , and while slow, it's one of the fastest models made (until the turbo hits), it handles fine, has an extra inch of ground clearance over the new models, and is possessed of exactly zero wood or "chrome" bling.

Considering I am not married and do what I want with my money, your comment pretty well missed the mark, but it is telling that you went there with it?

My CX5 is nearly as fast as the turbo model is projected to be (per Mazda's press release on the CX5T, and Car and Driver's testing of my model, I should be within 0.3-0.4 seconds 0-60 of it, rofl!...but I do doubt this honestly) the , and while slow, it's one of the fastest models made (until the turbo hits), it handles fine, has an extra inch of ground clearance over the new models, and is possessed of exactly zero wood or "chrome" bling.

Yep yep.

I love my CX-5. My hate is towards the Gen 2 and change of direction Mazda has been on. Not my cup of tea for what is supposed to be a performance enthusiast brand. Gen 2 CX-5 is slower, chromed the **** out, has freaking wood trim now (lol), and when they do come out with a turbo, they tune it for normal driving, not what the enthusiasts on this board wanted out of a turbo say 2 years ago when they were asking for it...you know from the ZOOM ZOOM brand.

It was also funny to be active on the forum for the past couple of years and see how much we all s*** on Mango and his CR-V with the wood trim, then Mazda does one and suddenly it gets a pass. We also s*** on his $37k CR-V and here's Mazda with a $38k signature trim, granted much nicer, but still. Forum has changed it's tune minus a few of us.

So no, you will never see me do anything but absolutely love my Gen 1 CX-5. When it comes time to replace, not sure Mazda is worth looking at anymore for what I want, but we'll see what a Gen 3 or 4 looks like by that time. In the meantime, I am not interested in slower, uglier, and much more expensive than the $25k I spent on mine.

Edit: But hey we are all looking for different things. This is just me. I am not interested in a "luxury" vehicle out of a Mazda. I want the zoom zoom. Hell if I wan't being practical when I bought my CX-5, almost regret not grabbing a Speed3 instead. Almost, not really, I love my CX-5. It's jsut sad to see Mazda not really give 2 s**** about Zoom Zoom anymore.

I*m right there witcha...

No that's not what he's doing at all. He, like me, is making fun of how this forum made fun of wood trim and how tacky it is a year ago when Mango and his 2017 CR-V were hanging around.

Now, Mazda does a wood trim, still looks tacky, and it gets a pass.

It's funny.

Perhaps it's in another thread on the subject, but I only see one dude in here saying "it's nice" re: the new wood trim coming in the '19.

The lack of negative response to the real wood trim in the '19 (which is what you are chiding folks for) could be because the '17/18 already has wood trim, so it's not a totally new addition to the model. Yes it's not real wood, but that's almost WORSE for someone who is convinced that any wood trim sucks. But if there have been few strong objections to what is already in the CX-5, then it's not surprising folks here aren't up in arms about the '19 interior.

IMO the look can be nice as long as it's on the darker side and it's understated. If it's light coloured and/or overdone (even if it's real wood), it will probably be seen as tacky by most.

Not from me you don't..

VW are cheating ****** who screwed over the entire segment as whole- if they weren't my CX-5d would be sitting outside for years now- probably with close to 100k on it.

1) VW screwed the government while delivering awesome performance and economy to the consumer, the government punished everyone. Don't confuse government over-reach with VW.
2) No your CX5D wouldn't. Mazda can't build a diesel for the US, apparently. Remember in what, 2013 or whatever? They said Mazda 6 Diesel! WOOT WOOT! yeah, that never happened either. Delayed well into 2014 when it finally died on the vine. Dieselgate happened in mid/late 2015. Don't go blaming anyone but Mazda for failing to bring it to market, IMO.

Perhaps it's in another thread on the subject, but I only see one dude in here saying "it's nice" re: the new wood trim coming in the '19.

The lack of negative response to the real wood trim in the '19 (which is what you are chiding folks for) could be because the '17/18 already has wood trim, so it's not a totally new addition to the model. Yes it's not real wood, but that's almost WORSE for someone who is convinced that any wood trim sucks. But if there have been few strong objections to what is already in the CX-5, then it's not surprising folks here aren't up in arms about the '19 interior.

IMO the look can be nice as long as it's on the darker side and it's understated. If it's light coloured and/or overdone (even if it's real wood), it will probably be seen as tacky by most.

Match it with that Brown Nappa leather, the only color you can get, btw, and it*s gonna be tacky as all get out...

It's a forum drift that has happened over the last 3 years. You joined mid/late 2017, so it's no wonder you're missing out on seeing it. The qualms here are not anything Mazda is doing or did, but rather, how everyone talked so much smack about every other car manufacturer out there for doing the same things it took Mazda 2-3 years longer to get done, and finally they do, and everyone's all "Oh it's so wonderful and nice!"

That said, I wouldn't buy a new CX5. No way, no how. It performs worse and worse every year it seems.

It's a forum drift that has happened over the last 3 years. You joined mid/late 2017, so it's no wonder you're missing out on seeing it. The qualms here are not anything Mazda is doing or did, but rather, how everyone talked so much smack about every other car manufacturer out there for doing the same things it took Mazda 2-3 years longer to get done, and finally they do, and everyone's all "Oh it's so wonderful and nice!"

That said, I wouldn't buy a new CX5. No way, no how. It performs worse and worse every year it seems.

Correct...

Fair enough. Just call this a culmination of me just not liking the direction Mazda is going in general. First it was the chromed windows and huge ugly overbite of a hood. Let's add wood trim, ugly leather, and walla! There you go, fake luxury car for $40k. Not the $25k driver's CX-5 I bought.

Anyway, unlike what Javila21 insinuated, I am 27, not married. I bought my CX-5 because I am a one car house and knew I would be for years and wanted practicality, but also retain fun and trust me, I love my CX-5. It is damn fun to drive. What the hell Iw ant a luxury CX-5 for $40k for that is uglier, slower, and just not what I want out of a vehicle and strays from what the brand used to be in my mind which was a fun, niche brand doing it's own thing at an affordable price. Fun to drive for me is the feel and dynamics, how it accelerates, how I feel and connect with the road, etc. Not wood trim, chrome, electronic nannies, and android auto.

As for why we are saying it's funny seeing a forum shift, it's because the forum HAS shifted it's perspective. All the s*** everyone seems to love now were all the things we were shitting on 2 years ago! I didn't see it before myself, but I am firmly starting to agree with Uno's perspective on that, and I don't often agree with Uno lol.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Just call this a culmination of me just not liking the direction Mazda is going in general. First it was the chromed windows and huge ugly overbite of a hood. Let's add wood trim, ugly leather, and walla! There you go, fake luxury car for $40k. Not the $25k driver's CX-5 I bought.

Anyway, unlike what Javila21 insinuated, I am 27, not married. I bought my CX-5 because I am a one car house and knew I would be for years and wanted practicality, but also retain fun and trust me, I love my CX-5. It is damn fun to drive. What the hell Iw ant a luxury CX-5 for $40k for that is uglier, slower, and just not what I want out of a vehicle and strays from what the brand used to be in my mind which was a fun, niche brand doing it's own thing.

I*m not married either, so there*s all 3 of us covered...lol

Bingo.

Back