Roof Rack Use Question

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
Hi all,
New here. New owner of a 2017 CX 5 Touring. Love the car, the handling, the feel inside, really solid.

But... I just installed myself the OEM side rails and cross bars.
But I am realizing that without places to latch tie downs straps that I can't really do much with the rack.

For instance, how does one carry a sheet of plywood or 2x4s on your rack?
Seems useless or only good for using Thule or other brand attachments but not
good for much else. I'd like to get more "utility" out of this SUV! ;-)

Any ideas are welcome! Thinking maybe I need this:
Rola Cargo Basket...
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Roof_Basket-sf-Cargo_Basket-hs-Medium_Capacity-pm-Rola.aspx

but seems crazy to have to spend more money when I just spent
$500 just to be able to carry a sheet of plywood!

Only place is to tie it back to the cross bars itself.

For a few 2x4's, it's not too bad, but for something wide like plywood, it's a bit of a reach.

Sadly this is the sacrifice to go with this new style of side rail. Previous gen CX5 had a side rail that was raised off of the roof, which allowed the cross bars to slide fore and aft, and also gave points to tie to.

41KBzmSrk2L.jpg

Last edited:
Only place is to tie it back to the cross bars itself.

For a few 2x4's, it's not too bad, but for something wide like plywood, it's a bit of a reach.

Sadly this is the sacrifice to go with this new style of side rail. Previous gen CX5 had a side rail that was raised off of the roof, which allowed the cross bars to slide fore and aft, and also gave points to tie to.

41KBzmSrk2L.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah while the new side rail may look cooler and be perhaps more aerodynamic, its not very practical, I have to say.
Not being able to adjust the cross bars fore and aft and not having any anchor points makes it
only good for thule or yakima accessories really.

I'm getting the Rola Cargo Basket. I'll report back on how that goes. But it looks like 2017/2018 cross bar
placement will require me to fabricate some new connection pieces out of steel plate.

Back