iddle issue

:
2003 protege 5
Hi, The problem is that after taking apart everything to get to the manifold to take it off ,I ended up not removing it so put everything back together for some reason the car doesn't idle properly and dies ,any ideas where to start should I scan with OB11 scanner ,would that show anything .Thanks Alex

Better tell you that the manifold was loosened but did not take completely off ,just tightened up nuts with old gasket,,, would I have had to replace it. Thanks ,,,,,,, Gasket that is

Last edited:
Spray around with carb cleaner to find a vacuum leak.

The car needs to relearn how to idle the car after an ECU reset (disconnected battery).

My car almost stalls but not quite.

sorry but nothing happened with the spay around ,the last time I started the engine it idled somewhat longer but still cutting out,Ill try to drive it but battery giving probs and brakes also so have to do some work ,never ends it seems

I takes about 100 miles of driving for the ECU to relearn how to idle the car.

It takes different amounts of time for each car depending on how far it's drifted from original factory specifications.

need to know the intake torque{ in- lbf} for some reason it doesn't give me the info in my service manual that I downloaded from e manual site. Unless I'm not seeing something

It doesn't show the torque in-lbs for the intake manifold,I'm somewhat baffled,I think 16 in-lbf may be low for it.So I'm thinking that I'll'tighten it as much as I think it should be . If you look at the air ntake black piece it says 80in-lbf I would think that the Mani would be more than that Thanks

Last edited:
You just multiply the 16 foot pounds by 12 to get inch pounds.

So 192 inch pounds.

It's all in foot pounds unless otherwise noted.

...If you look at the air intake black piece it says 80in-lbf...

If your talking about the fresh air duct (part #1), it's a plastic piece so you don't want too much torque or you would squash the plastic.

So about 80 inch/pounds is about right.

You could put some loctite on the nuts and bolts if you're worried about them vibrating loose.

I only use a torque wrench for my lug nuts.
But I have a tendency to tighten the hell outta things.

I don't know what 80 inch/pounds feels like but I'm sure I wouldn't think it's enough.

you need to get the hammer out and build a little garage your car is starting to look like mine, white ,thanks for clarifying the torque numbers ,I was thinking that my torque wrench was in in-lbf but its in ft-lbf so my nuts were tight enough but I upped the poundage a bit see if it would help but nothing changed ,if I coud only get brakes to firm up I would take it for a good run but these brakes are a pain to get pressure ,I read a number of threads and everyone seems to not be able to bleed them.looks like I will have to break down and get mazda dealer to help(sad2)

I remember one guy that said you can remove the bolts from the bracket that holds the caliper and rotate the whole caliper to the top of the rotors, the bleeder screw is at the very top and you can get every last air bubble out.

His rear brakes were soft and he couldn't bleed them properly.

Back