CX5- Carplay mods to allow touchscreen while driving? How's reliability and service?

cincytraveler

:
Currently BMW, Potentially CX-5 Signature
Hi - I've been lurking in this forum for a few months anticipating what Mazda would do for the 2019 CX-5. We've been BMW customers for the last decade+ and currently have an X5d and 228xi convertible). My wife's 17 year-old VW Jetta has finally bit the dust and we've been looking to replace it. She wants an SUV, not another car. I owned a Mazda and some other Japanese cars in the past and always enjoyed them. Saw that Mazda was moving more upmarket with the newest generation of CX5, but the absence of Apple Carplay/Android Auto was a bit of a deal breaker. The 2019 CX-9 appeared at the local dealerships so we gave it a test drive. I was a bit surprised that it would not let me use the Carplay touch screen while the vehicle was moving, unlike every other manufacturer. CX-9 was a little bit big for our needs but the 2019 CX-5 Signature with the new 2.5 turbo could be a winner. The Acura RDX looks interesting as well, but significantly more money, and same for the BMW/MB/Audi offerings.

On BMWs, you can easily hack the iDrive systems to enable features that have been disabled for your country due to our lawsuit-happy climate. For example, DVD playback in the front infotainment screen (not that I'd do that, it just an example). I'm wondering if Mazda has a similar hacking community. It would be great if you could turn off a parameter allowing the touchscreen to be used during all driving modes, not just at a stop.

Another concern: how is real-world Mazda reliability and dealer service? That is a huge thing that has kept me with BMW because it makes the ownership process painless. I drive into the dealership for something as minor as an oil change, they toss me keys to a current model loaner car, they take however long they need to do the service and then trade me back. Very smart strategy, IMHO, when you spend an extended amount of time in their newest models it can start the itch. Reliability has been pretty good, with only some emissions component failures on the diesel (some fixed in warranty, some not).

What's your average reliability and dealer service experience with the CX5?

Reliability - had a few Mazdas - as reliable as any other car i have owned (very good). Dealer satisfaction is like all others - depends on the dealer. My Mazda reliability has generally been better then my Lexus experience. Same goes for dealer experience - Lexus has let me down a few times too, but so have other brand dealers.

As you are not paying a premium for a Mazda, I would not expect a loaner for an oil change, but some dealers may do that. You would have to ask your individual dealer. Keep in mind, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes - you are paying for that free loaner whether you realize it or not. I have had a few Lexus, and the cost of service was much higher, so I paid for that free loaner if doing non-warranty service.

As for hacking - there is a community for that, and many hacks are possible, but Mazda removed easy USB access (initially) to install the hacks. So newer vehicles require removal of the head unit to connect a serial cable to the back. But it can be done. So touchscreen while moving can be hacked but there android auto has limited it and can't be bypassed.

Fair enough. I wouldn't try any hack until OOW. This will replace a third car, so as long as I have that trio we can supply our own loaner. Mazda dealer is only a few miles away and BMW is like 25. I have to budget a few grand a year for an OOW BMW. Any repairs involving parts seems to cost at least $500 but can often touch $1000 or much higher for stupid stuff (i.e. a bad sensor inside the DEF holding tank was $2500 because it's a closed unit and you have to replace whole tank). As a buddy once said, Bring My Wallet.

Dealer offered a heavily discounted deal on a fully loaded new X2. Obviously it is smaller but would fit my wife's needs. Even loaded, it lacked some basic things like blind spot detection and for the same amount of $$$ I could get a larger more loaded CX-5 Signature.

I'm hoping the Mazda maintenance / long-term repairs are back in the "normal" range. Under $500 most of the time with major repairs being few and rarely getting above $1000. That was my experience with my previous '90s era Mazda.

My dealer will give me a loaner for any service, even an oil change.

CX-5 is back on top of Consumer Reports reliability index for compact SUVs [Dec 18, p60].

Cincy, fellow BMW to Mazda owner here as you can see in my Sig. BMW offered a great ownership experience and we took advantage of both PCD & ED. What really turned me off to BMW was their latest move to shorten included scheduled maintenance from 4 years to 3. I didn't mind paying a premium for the Ultimate Driving Machine but when they started devaluing the ownership experience, it soured me and besides, IMHO, I don't think the newer BMW's drive like previous generations.

I loved my E90 but my driving needs changed and I got into a 2014 CX-5 GT and have been loving it since day 1. We currently have a 2019 CX-5 GT on order to replace the wife's E84.

We've had excellent reliability with all the Mazdas in the family and you should have the same experience as long as you don't get a bad one which is just the luck of the draw as with any manufacturer. Our dealer provides loaners and service has been excellent. The 2019 will be the 4th Mazda purchased from the same salesman.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hi - I've been lurking in this forum for a few months anticipating what Mazda would do for the 2019 CX-5. We've been BMW customers for the last decade+ and currently have an X5d and 228xi convertible). My wife's 17 year-old VW Jetta has finally bit the dust and we've been looking to replace it. She wants an SUV, not another car. I owned a Mazda and some other Japanese cars in the past and always enjoyed them. Saw that Mazda was moving more upmarket with the newest generation of CX5, but the absence of Apple Carplay/Android Auto was a bit of a deal breaker. The 2019 CX-9 appeared at the local dealerships so we gave it a test drive. I was a bit surprised that it would not let me use the Carplay touch screen while the vehicle was moving, unlike every other manufacturer. CX-9 was a little bit big for our needs but the 2019 CX-5 Signature with the new 2.5 turbo could be a winner. The Acura RDX looks interesting as well, but significantly more money, and same for the BMW/MB/Audi offerings.

On BMWs, you can easily hack the iDrive systems to enable features that have been disabled for your country due to our lawsuit-happy climate. For example, DVD playback in the front infotainment screen (not that I'd do that, it just an example). I'm wondering if Mazda has a similar hacking community. It would be great if you could turn off a parameter allowing the touchscreen to be used during all driving modes, not just at a stop.

Another concern: how is real-world Mazda reliability and dealer service? That is a huge thing that has kept me with BMW because it makes the ownership process painless. I drive into the dealership for something as minor as an oil change, they toss me keys to a current model loaner car, they take however long they need to do the service and then trade me back. Very smart strategy, IMHO, when you spend an extended amount of time in their newest models it can start the itch. Reliability has been pretty good, with only some emissions component failures on the diesel (some fixed in warranty, some not).

I like you was annoyed that the touchscreen would be disabled after a certain speed but then after a week I got used to the hardware navigation and actually prefer it much more now than the touchscreen. Less fingerprints, less leaning forward, and less glitching as compared to my Chevys and Buicks which all had ACP w/ touchscreen.

As for the dealership, I noticed theyre not as upscale as some of others in town but they are super nice. They detailed my cx5 for free before sale and added a window tint to the front windows and treated the windshield with some water repellant which I didnt know was even a thing. I plan on getting my car serviced through them and they take the 15% service and repair coupon from costco which is pretty cool.

As far as reliabity and customer satisfaction as someone earlier mentioned Mazda and specifically the CX-5 is at the top of many lists. I only care about Consumer Reports and it has the CX-5 as the best Compact CUV for 2018 and shows Mazda as having a higher customer satisfaction than most brands including BMW.

The Cx5 is the most well rounded Compct CUV in its class. It drives so much better than the 18 Chevy Equinox and even beats the Cadillac XT5 in my opinion as long as you get the GT w/ Premium option.

I dont know about Mazdas turbo but the naturally aspirated 4cyl that comes standard on its 18 model is super reliable and the sports mode gives it a nice little pep when you need it.

Manufacturer warranty is not best in class but this is a vehicle that will easily give you lots of life if you care for it.

My dealership offered me a loaner when they did the car play upgrade (for free). Ymmv.

Ive been communicating with Mazdas customer experience team. I called them out on a the questionable experience with Mazda Mobile Start. They were interested in gathering my feedback and seemed genuinely interested in it after I told them theyre way behind the mark there and would not really appeal to customers in colder climates.

All in all since I bought my very first Mazda car (and Japanese brand) in the last month I couldnt have been more pleased.

Back