Remote Start Options / Recommendations / Things to consider?

:
2019 CX-9 Grand Touring
I purchased my 2019 CX-9 GT about a month ago and have added all the little things I need immediately (hitch for bike rack, clear bra, rock/splash guards, cargo mat, etc.). The one addition I have yet to get is an auto-start.

I've read about the Mazda app based unit and am not impressed by the initial price, ongoing subscription price or reviews about how well it functions and I'm wondering if there's an aftermarket unit that would be better.

I'd like an autostart that will work from a significant distance...much further than a typical fob...so I can start the car when I'm getting ready to leave and have it cooled down when I get to it. I'd like for it to visually confirm that my car has started. I'd also like for it to be secure but convenient (i.e. not require me to start the car again after I open the door). It would be nice if it didn't have an additional fob but I imagine that won't be possible. I'd rather not have a an app based system because I don't want to risk it becoming obsolete while I have the car ( I usually keep my cars for around 7yrs/100,000 miles).

This will be the first auto-start I've had on a vehicle so only know the little I've read about them. I'd appreciate any and all recommendations for brands/installers and also suggestions for other things to be aware of. I'm located in the Phoenix area.

Thanks. I did read that thread, it's where I discovered the problems with the Mazda app based product. I'd probably purchase and install the Fortin product but would like something with more range than the OEM fob and that gives me a visual confirmation that the vehicle is running. I'll have my CX-9 for five to seven years so am willing to pay to have that functionality (if it exists).

Thanks. I did read that thread, it's where I discovered the problems with the Mazda app based product. I'd probably purchase and install the Fortin product but would like something with more range than the OEM fob and that gives me a visual confirmation that the vehicle is running. I'll have my CX-9 for five to seven years so am willing to pay to have that functionality (if it exists).

Unfortunately you might be limited with your options...if you want further range then either the app based starter (but you have to pay a yearly subscription) or separate key fob would be the ones to satisfy your needs or if you didn't want an extra fob then the Fortin might be only option however limited range...

I've had my CX9 for almost 2 yrs now and I've used Compustar 2-way remote that has unfortunately a separate keyfob but tiny enough that it isn't bothersome...needed it for the range (up to 5000 ft range). The other downside as well as with any other remote starter installed on a Mazda is their programming that once you open the door or trunk, the vehicle shuts off (for apparent safety and security reasons) so you'll have to restart engine.

Unfortunately you might be limited with your options...if you want further range then either the app based starter (but you have to pay a yearly subscription) or separate key fob would be the ones to satisfy your needs or if you didn't want an extra fob then the Fortin might be only option however limited range...

I've had my CX9 for almost 2 yrs now and I've used Compustar 2-way remote that has unfortunately a separate keyfob but tiny enough that it isn't bothersome...needed it for the range (up to 5000 ft range). The other downside as well as with any other remote starter installed on a Mazda is their programming that once you open the door or trunk, the vehicle shuts off (for I apparent safety and security reasons) so you'll have to restart engine.

I was expecting to have a second fob in exchange for added range and will accept that.
If at all possible I'd like to find an option that doesn't shut the car off when I open the door or trunk.

I was expecting to have a second fob in exchange for added range and will accept that.
If at all possible I'd like to find an option that doesn't shut the car off when I open the door or trunk.

From what was explained to me by my local Mazda dealer who installed the Compustar 2-way remote there is no other way to get rid of that as it is a Mazda factory programming again supposedly for safety and security and that I can understand esp with all they keyless tech nowadays. You wouldn't want your vehicle being stolen without the key right? I've had a Toyota years ago where you didn't have to restart engine...even when the door was opened as long as you put the key in and turn it to "on" in ignition then it didn't shut off when you stepped on the brake pedal and changed gears.

.... The other downside as well as with any other remote starter installed on a Mazda is their programming that once you open the door or trunk, the vehicle shuts off (for apparent safety and security reasons) so you'll have to restart engine.

Not entirely true. Fortin's programming specifically allows you to bypass this issue.

i'm in the same boat...
i followed this tread
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...5-Auto-start&p=6537947&viewfull=1#post6537947

get the Compustar system and add Dronemobile..boom you're done!

https://www.compustar.com/systems/mazda-remote-start-system/

allows you to start your car with the keyfob with 3 presses of the lock button (within range)
and of course you'll have to add dronemobile to have unlimited range and status of your car.

the best part is that it has remote takeover, so that the engine doesn't shut down when you unlock the door

Last edited:
i'm in the same boat...
i followed this tread
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...5-Auto-start&p=6537947&viewfull=1#post6537947

get the Compustar system and add Dronemobile..boom you're done!

https://www.compustar.com/systems/mazda-remote-start-system/

allows you to start your car with the keyfob with 3 presses of the lock button (within range)
and of course you'll have to add dronemobile to have unlimited range and status of your car.

the best part is that it has remote takeover, so that the engine doesn't shut down when you unlock the door

Unfortunately the Dronemobile appears to require a subscription which I'm not particularly interested in.

I have a hard time believing that there's not an aftermarket product out there that will let me.....

1. Autostart at long range
2. Confirm for me that the vehicle has started
3. Not require me to restart when I enter the vehicle
4. Not require a subscription

I can live with an extra fob.

Help!

Then your options are definitely an extra keyfob, go with compustar and no dronemobile add-on.
Let us know how it turns out.
what i like about compustar is that it's basically plug and play, and if you ever need to change cars, all you need is purchase a new harness.

Unfortunately the Dronemobile appears to require a subscription which I'm not particularly interested in.

I have a hard time believing that there's not an aftermarket product out there that will let me.....

1. Autostart at long range
2. Confirm for me that the vehicle has started
3. Not require me to restart when I enter the vehicle
4. Not require a subscription

I can live with an extra fob.

Help!

Ha, that's my thread!

So the Fortin works with your standard fob. So once you install it works with both. My car does not shut off when I open the trunk or doors.

Fortin sells separate, long range systems with 2 way communication. Call them, get a great product and save hundreds because you can install it yourself!

I'm leaning toward the Fortin and installing it myself. I'll call and discuss the full setup with customer service when I have a chance.

I'll compare with what a local installer with good reputation offers - both in terms of features, support and price. I'll let you know where I end up.

Thanks for the info., very helpful.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I do not want to open other tread with a questions that is asked frequently.
I was told about the Viper DS4VP as a good one. Also told that instead of getting a separate remote, the original key will be programmed. Unfortunately I do not have any more info or review about it.
Can anybody who has info or reference about it either positive or negative, please post it? Daughter is very impatient about it, lol.
Also when I was at the dealer last week for 18k service, I asked and the guy from the service department suggested to get a third party unit installed by them at $ 550-600, then for the OEM said around $700 and if I wanted the one connected to a cell phone was around $ 1K. Sounded like out of his mind, for those prices.
Thanks for your help.

Hi guys,
I do not want to open other tread with a questions that is asked frequently.
I was told about the Viper DS4VP as a good one. Also told that instead of getting a separate remote, the original key will be programmed. Unfortunately I do not have any more info or review about it.
Can anybody who has info or reference about it either positive or negative, please post it? Daughter is very impatient about it, lol.
Also when I was at the dealer last week for 18k service, I asked and the guy from the service department suggested to get a third party unit installed by them at $ 550-600, then for the OEM said around $700 and if I wanted the one connected to a cell phone was around $ 1K. Sounded like out of his mind, for those prices.
Thanks for your help.

Just get the freaking Fortin.

Ran me like $200, I installed it in under 45 minutes and it works wit the existing key fob - both of them.

Fortin can do whatever you want - stay with the original OEM fob, two way aftermarket fobs, cellular enabled. Whatever. Their customer service is second to none.

Install costs for every other system ran from $200 to $300. Unless you want to throw that money away at the front end, and give away the equipment when the car goes just get the freaking Fortin system.

Most things in life aren't easy. This is :)

Don't hold back, just tell us what you think Matt! (rlaugh)

Just kidding of course. I appreciate your feedback and the good information.

So whats the difference between Fortin Evo all and Evo one? Trying to understand it.

The website shows as Evo-all being $99.99.

Is that (Evo-all) all we need for it work with the 2019 cx9 GT?

So whats the difference between Fortin Evo all and Evo one? Trying to understand it.

The website shows as Evo-all being $99.99.

Is that (Evo-all) all we need for it work with the 2019 cx9 GT?

I honestly don't remember the details. I ended up the the Evo One after a call with Crutchfield and/or Fortin. I think the install on the One was easier?

I do know that I would have saved the $100 if it made sense!

The EVE ONE won't require you to restart the vehicle after you open the door. The EVO ALL will shutdown and you'll have to restart the vehicle when you get in. I just got off the phone with Fortin because they booth sounded like they supported mostly the same features, this was one of differences. I'm ordering one now for my wife's CX-9, from Santa.

Back