CX-9 won't move, loud rattling noise when shifting from Drive/Reverse to Park

DorkyPlatypus

:
2011 CX-9 Touring
My 2011 CX-9 stopped responding while I was on the highway. Managed to stop safely on the side. Now she WON'T MOVE AT ALL. She starts no problem, and she steers but there is NO TRACTION!!! Plus: there is a loud rattling noise when shifting from any position into PARK!!! I opened the hood and saw that it appears to come from right beneath the battery compartment. What nightmare am I looking at? Co$t$ to repair?? Thanks fam! (158k miles)

That sounds like either totally imploded torque converter or a broken input shaft on the transmission. The fact that it still starts makes me think the flywheel is not broken but rather it's an internal part that has given up. If you're 'lucky' all you'll need is a torque converter otherwise I fear that the transmission is shot.

thank you

Great
That sounds like either totally imploded torque converter or a broken input shaft on the transmission. The fact that it still starts makes me think the flywheel is not broken but rather it's an internal part that has given up. If you're 'lucky' all you'll need is a torque converter otherwise I fear that the transmission is shot.

Ugh! Not good news...

It seems that the transmission is def a weak link on these. Since the transmissions were made by Toyota, I wonder what Toyota's they used this same transmission in?

Back