2019's when?

If the gentlemen has owned seven CX-5's, then I suspect the deal involved a late-model/high-value trade-in, and anytime a trade is involved, it is extremely difficult to determine out the "true" discount on the new car if there had been no trade.

- Mark

I apologize for not being more transparent so that the true discount on the car could be determined.

The sales price numbers I quoted are at the top of the purchase order before rebates and trade.
Those are the real numbers to purchase the vehicle whether I had a trade or not. The trade only affects my sales tax credit and how much I have to write the final check for.

The trade deal was a 2017 GT AWD w/ premium with 6500 miles. Front end collision with air bag deployment. Insurance said $15,000 to repair. Since I was not at fault I was 3rd party to their insurance so I got inherent diminished value.
Dealer gave me $24,500 for the car in repaired condition ( said trade in value would of been $26,000 before collision) but I got full retail from Insurance so they gave me another $3,700 on top of the $24,500. So my trade was worth $28,200. Repairs won't be completed for another 3 weeks, but that's the dealers problem now and I am very thankful to them.

Last edited:
Had one of the first 2013's w/ the 2.0. for my wife. Then started buying in pairs after that till now. We change about every 2 years. This new one is because of a front end collison.

Had 2 14's meteor gray and sonic silver

2 16's red

2 17's 1 machine gray and 1 blue

and now a 2019 to keep the other 17 company

First post! I joined just because I wanted to join in the group anxiously waiting for the 2019's to arrive. I've been planning on purchasing the CX-5 when my current least ends in December, and was hoping to get end of the year discounts. Originally I really didn't think the 2019 was going to have enough upgrades to really convince me to wait, but the cooled seats in the GTR is what did it for me. I'm going back to a small SUV because I need something bigger than my MINI Countryman.

I mistakenly filled out the information sheet on the Sam's Club website a week ago, and since then have received 10 calls a day from local dealerships. I've told all of them I'm not interested in the 2018 and they all respond with, "Why don't you come for a test drive!" Which is annoying as @#$ since I told them I was the 2019 GTR. Hopefully they hit the West coast before my lease ends.

Greetings, folks. '17 GS AWD owner here. After about 12k miles under varied conditions, I suspect the CX will benefit from the 2.5T...following this and related threads on the 19s with interest. FWIW, here's another dealer vid of (I think) a 2019 GT with a few decent shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPgBbtRudSw

(edited to correct link!)

Last edited:
The sales price numbers I quoted are at the top of the purchase order before rebates and trade.
Those are the real numbers to purchase the vehicle whether I had a trade or not.

Did you negotiate a cash deal first without mentioning you were going to trade? That's the only way you really know this is true. Most salespeople will structure deals to make it appear the new car is more heavily discounted and make up the loss by reducing the value of the trade. My bet is that if you had suddenly decided at the last minute to withdraw the trade, that you well-below-invoice cash deal would have been withdrawn. Given that Mazda has no incentives right now on the 2019 CX5's and that Mazda's holdback is paltry (I think 1%), a cash deal would have them selling the car (a brand new model just hitting the lots) at a significant loss.

Regardless, sounds like you got a great deal on a very nice car.

- Mark

Last edited:
Given that Mazda has no incentives right now on the 2019 CX5's and that Mazda's holdback is paltry (I think 1%), a cash deal would have them selling the car (a brand new model just hitting the lots) at a significant loss.

Regardless, sounds like you got a great deal on a very nice car.

- Mark

I have the same basic?'s. Does anyone understand the Mazda numbers?

Guys say shoot for 10% off MSRP. However dealer margin is about 4-5% (MSRP vs. Invoice). Where's this other 5%+ come from? It's either a much higher holdback then 1% or special dealer incentives/volume bonus quotas direct from Mazda or dealer incentives for aged inventory.

Anyone know how the Mazda game is played?

Last edited:

Guys say shoot for 10% off MSRP. However dealer margin is about 4-5% (MSRP vs. Invoice). Where's this other 5%+ come from? It's either a much higher holdback then 1% or special dealer incentives/volume bonus quotas direct from Mazda or dealer incentives for aged inventory.

Dealer invoice is a phony number. Plenty to read on the internet about why you should ignore it. But I am also interested if anyone knows how the Mazda/dealer money game works.

*Dealer invoice* is a phony number. Plenty to read on the internet about why you should ignore it. But I am also interested if anyone knows how the Mazda/dealer money game works.

+1.
Might be a real number, but other transactions are going on between the dealer and the company to change the equation.

+1.
Might be a real number, but other transactions are going on between the dealer and the company to change the equation.

definitely agree,
numbers pretty much always get manipulated =(
would be nice to have a dealership that's thoroughly transparent.

Never happen because of us.... Joe Consumer.
Dealer: Ok so here's a 34,000 car. It costs us 26,000.
Consumer: So you're making 8,000? **** you, that's too much.
(Never mind only $1500 of that is profit)
They'd never sell cars if you knew what they actually made on them. [emoji38]

I've talked to 4 different dealerships today. The should have the GTRs arriving sometime in CA in the next two weeks. Good thing is, the dealerships made it really easy to narrow down which one I wanted to work with. 1 told me that they didn't have abny 2019's (even though they were on the website), 1 told me that I should get a 2018 instead, 1 told me that there wasn't any different in the GTR and the GT. Finally, 1 told me that they didn't have my color combo coming into CA, but that they would try and grab me one that was going somewhere else and have been giving me updates since I talked to them a couple hours ago.

Never happen because of us.... Joe Consumer.
Dealer: Ok so here's a 34,000 car. It costs us 26,000.
Consumer: So you're making 8,000? **** you, that's too much.
(Never mind only $1500 of that is profit)
They'd never sell cars if you knew what they actually made on them. [emoji38]

haha yeah i know...

I've talked to 4 different dealerships today. The should have the GTRs arriving sometime in CA in the next two weeks. Good thing is, the dealerships made it really easy to narrow down which one I wanted to work with. 1 told me that they didn't have abny 2019's (even though they were on the website), 1 told me that I should get a 2018 instead, 1 told me that there wasn't any different in the GTR and the GT. Finally, 1 told me that they didn't have my color combo coming into CA, but that they would try and grab me one that was going somewhere else and have been giving me updates since I talked to them a couple hours ago.

so which one did you go with? haha jk..good luck and keep us updated.
i can't wait to see one in person (signature edition) and see all the updates

The only color I would want the Signature in is white. Otherwise, I'm really weird about color combinations and anything gray or silver on the outside would look funky with brown leather interior (to me).

The only color I would want the Signature in is white. Otherwise, I'm really weird about color combinations and anything gray or silver on the outside would look funky with brown leather interior (to me).

If the brown is anything like the brown in the Mazda 6, it will look OK in most any color. It is almost a brown/black color. Very nice in red, silver or white cars.

There's lots of incentives and kickbacks that may not be reflected in just the invoice and holdback. The main reason many cars sell for seriously low prices is due to special incentives the mfg has put in place to move the old chrome off dealer's lots. Some may be known to the end-consumer, some are direct-to-dealer cash paid behind the scenes. But my educated guess is that we're at least six-months away from Mazda kicking any serious incentive money towards 2019 2.5T CX-5. In the short term, I suspect most will sell for MSRP or with modest (less than $1K) discounts. Again, it's hard to really get a hard number from anecdotal data because there are so many variables associated with each individual purchase (trade, financing, lease terms, dealer-installed-options, extra cost warranties, wheel/tire insurance, taxes, whether various fees are included, etc.). It's this deal obfuscation which keeps dealers in business.

- Mark

Last edited:
Where's the pics? :) Anxious for more details than what Mazda has posted on the site. I see in the inventory search tool that several Signatures are ordered by my local dealers, but not in their inventory yet according to their individual sites.

Is there any information somewhere on who is the highest volume Mazda dealer in each state? Presumably you could get better deals because they don't have to make huge amounts on every sale.

Dang there is nothing on the east coast as of yet. not even 150 miles radius.
where are the pics?..post them please!

Back