Thread: Alloys (M011 or M012) and Tires for Winter

Registered Member

2011 Mazda3

Alloys (M011 or M012) and Tires for Winter

I have a 2018 GT and am currently shopping for winter tires on Mazda OEM alloys.

The standard guidance is of course to downsize for winter. The arguments being (1) cheaper, (2) greater protection for rims, and (3) greater traction in snow (assuming the downsized tire is narrower).

However, due to the climate in my area (Southern Ontario), I am mostly concerned with cold, wet, slushy and icy weather rather than deep snow. Meanwhile I also appreciate the firm ride with the standard 20" wheels.

As such I am rather torn between the 18" M011 and 20" M012. Price difference including tires is only about 10%

Wondering if anyone has faced a similar decision or has thoughts? Separately anyone had any winter tire recommendations for the CX-9?

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

I recently bought winter tires and went through the same thing. Buying 18s and winter tires for the 18s would have cost me a little bit more than buying winter tires for the OEM 20s. If I was planning to just swap winters onto the 20s every year, I would have gone with the 18s.

However, since I plan to get new wheels and tires next year, I put winters on the 20s and sold the tires that originally came on them. The 20s are now my "winter set".

I have about 2000 kms on a set of 255/50/20 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2s. Winnipeg has seen some decent snowfall in the last couple of days and the tires have been great so far. They are noticeably louder than the OEM Bridgestone Ecopias, but I think that's to be expected with most winter tires.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

Continental has a good article debunking the idea of narrow winter tires: https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...ogy/wide-tires

Not downsizing...original outside diameter and width...but a wheel with a smaller OD and a tire with a taller sidewall will give a more compliant ride as well as rim protection from slamming pot holes. That's my preference. I like a firm ride on smooth roads. I want more compliance on rough ice roads or damaged pavement.
    Last edited by PTguy; 11-09-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Registered Member

2011 Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I have about 2000 kms on a set of 255/50/20 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2s. Winnipeg has seen some decent snowfall in the last couple of days and the tires have been great so far. They are noticeably louder than the OEM Bridgestone Ecopias, but I think that's to be expected with most winter tires.
    Those are great tires and can't go wrong with them. My hesitation is only the first 55% of rubber is the special compound that makes them really great winter tires. That being said I don't put a ton of mileage on my car so they would still last me quite awhile. They are also really well suited for snow which as I mentioned isn't my main priority.

I am leaning toward the Yokohama IceGuard IG51V. Not as popular of a choice but I believe they may be well suited for my needs.

Registered Member

2011 Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by PTguy View Post
    Continental has a good article debunking the idea of narrow winter tires: https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...ogy/wide-tires

Not downsizing...original outside diameter and width...but a wheel with a smaller OD and a tire with a taller sidewall will give a more compliant ride as well as rim protection from slamming pot holes. That's my preference. I like a firm ride on smooth roads. I want more compliance on rough ice roads or damaged pavement.
    After a ton of research, including the link you posted, I personally don't see the need for a narrower tire. May make sense in certain scenarios but not for me.

I will definitely be sticking with one of the OEM sizes (255/50R20 or 255/60R18). All evidence points to the 18" being a wiser option (cheaper, less risk of damage, and smoother ride), but something about sticking with 20" appeals to me.

My past vehicles (including a Mazda3) were hatchbacks with 205/55R16. Plenty of rubber so didn't feel the need to downsize for winter. The 20s on the CX-9 have just as much rubber although it is certainly a different vehicle and the tires are massive in comparison, so admittedly stepping down to 18" may make sense.

Registered Member

2011 Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by iterated View Post
    Those are great tires and can't go wrong with them. My hesitation is only the first 55% of rubber is the special compound that makes them really great winter tires. That being said I don't put a ton of mileage on my car so they would still last me quite awhile. They are also really well suited for snow which as I mentioned isn't my main priority.

I am leaning toward the Yokohama IceGuard IG51V. Not as popular of a choice but I believe they may be well suited for my needs.
    Came across this comparison and am blown away by the difference in performance between the Blizzak DM-V2 and Yokohama IceGuard IG51V. Some of my research suggested that the IceGuard would have better 'road manners' and top notch dry/wet handling, but this comparison has tossed that right out the window. Guess I'm leaning toward the DM-V2 now.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...205&viewPage=y

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

My hesitation is only the first 55% of rubber is the special compound that makes them really great winter tires.
    And, with that little remaining tread depth no tires are effective snow tires. At this point just use them up as 3-season tires.

Registered Member

2018 CX9 GT Titanium Flash, had 2009 CX9 GT Copper Red Mica

I put a set of TOYO GSi5 tires on 18" alloys for winter on my 2018 GT. Had a set on our 2009 CX9. Good in snow and on ice, quiet and good wear. Had 45K km on them and still had 7/32 of tread left when I sold them.