Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alloys (M011 or M012) and Tires for Winter

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 GT; 2011 Mazda3 Sport GX

Finally we received a blast of winter this week in my area. And I was thus able to give the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires a good test.

The temperature has been very frigid (-20 C / - 4 F at the moment) and we got a reasonable dump of snow (~20 cm / 8 inch).

The driving conditions were quite slick and messy. However, the Pirellis on the CX-9 (with AWD) handled everything with ease. Felt very comfortable and in perfect control.

As a comparison, I also took my Mazda3 with Hankook W409 Winter i-Pike out during the weekend and while the car got around fine it did not feel nearly as planted as the CX-9. Obviously the lack of AWD was a contributor to the difference as well.

Overall I remain very happy with my decision to go with the Pirellis. Through most of the winter so far it has been cold but relatively dry, and the tires have felt great on the clear roads. They also handled the snowy and icy winter conditions without any concern.

That being said for those who more regularly face severe winter conditions, I don't doubt that other options such as Blizzaks may offer some advantage. However, for my particular needs the Pirellis have been awesome.

In terms of size, I do prefer the feel of the OEM 20" alloys in dry weather and feel that the 18" provide a bit less stability and firmness. On the other hand when driving in the snow the 18" felt great and the extra cushion was appreciated.

2016 CX-9 GT

Glad to hear that you’re so happy with the Pirelli purchase. I’ll probably go with those next year. Our driving conditions sound similar.

The oem Falkens on the wife’s CX9 were in need of replacement. I went with 20” Michelin Premier LTX for “all season” use. They got decent reviews on tire rack in the snow. I completely realize they’re not dedicated winter tires, but I figure they’ll be pretty good for this first winter with full tread on them.

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 GT Machine Grey

Quote Originally Posted by 60_Driver View Post
    Glad to hear that you’re so happy with the Pirelli purchase. I’ll probably go with those next year. Our driving conditions sound similar.

The oem Falkens on the wife’s CX9 were in need of replacement. I went with 20” Michelin Premier LTX for “all season” use. They got decent reviews on tire rack in the snow. I completely realize they’re not dedicated winter tires, but I figure they’ll be pretty good for this first winter with full tread on them.
    I too have the Falkens. How do you like the Michelin LTX’s?Any comparisons to the Falkens?

2016 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Ssteigss10 View Post
    I too have the Falkens. How do you like the Michelin LTX’s?Any comparisons to the Falkens?
    Starting an OEM tire replacement thread on this. I’m interested in seeing other people’s experiences.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12