CX-5 Parking brake malfunction

Curious, you guys that have no issues, do you use it everyday? I'm one that never uses a parking brake except on a steep hill, but when I saw this problem I started using it every day and the problem came forth. Smoked the rear brakes twice because they got jammed.

I use my EPB every time I park, even on a level surface in the garage. The one thing I don't do is let it release "automatically" when the throttle is applied. I didn't like the way that felt when I first got the CX-5, so I always release it manually like you would if it were an old-fashioned mechanical parking brake. I've no idea if that helps or not but it makes me feel better.

Last edited:
Curious, you guys that have no issues, do you use it everyday? I'm one that never uses a parking brake except on a steep hill, but when I saw this problem I started using it every day and the problem came forth. Smoked the rear brakes twice because they got jammed.

As with all of my vehicles, I use the parking brake all the time. The only time that I don't set the parking brake is when I park in my own garage. I've never had an issue with it. I don't let it release automatically either, I manually release the brake before driving off.

As with all of my vehicles, I use the parking brake all the time. The only time that I don't set the parking brake is when I park in my own garage. I've never had an issue with it. I don't let it release automatically either, I manually release the brake before driving off.

Exactly what I do. And when I park in my garage, I let my foot come off the brake gradually because I don't want it moving at all when the parking lock engages.

TSBs never impact every car. The difference between a recall and TSB (or the reason a TSB becomes a recall) boil down to 2 topics - severity and frequency:
What is the severity of the issue when it occurs? There is no easy answer because there is always the argument that "What if my car goes into limp mode when a truck is barreling down on me and can't stop?" or "What if the door falls open when my kid is leaning on it?" These are valid arguments and need to be considered with the second topic: Frequency. Will this issue impact every car or just a subset - and how big is that subset?
Also the company is not obligated to fix a problem that is documented in a TSB. The TSB simply identifies pattern failures so technicians can quickly troubleshoot and apply the best fix.
I'm not a Mazda apologist. Mazda is not a perfect company and neither are their cars. Just use TSBs like intended: to help quickly identify the source of a problem and a fix. And bring your car in for service if you get a recall notice or experience symptoms in a TSB.

TSBs never impact every car. The difference between a recall and TSB (or the reason a TSB becomes a recall) boil down to 2 topics - severity and frequency:
What is the severity of the issue when it occurs? There is no easy answer because there is always the argument that "What if my car goes into limp mode when a truck is barreling down on me and can't stop?" or "What if the door falls open when my kid is leaning on it?" These are valid arguments and need to be considered with the second topic: Frequency. Will this issue impact every car or just a subset - and how big is that subset?
Also the company is not obligated to fix a problem that is documented in a TSB. The TSB simply identifies pattern failures so technicians can quickly troubleshoot and apply the best fix.
I'm not a Mazda apologist. Mazda is not a perfect company and neither are their cars. Just use TSBs like intended: to help quickly identify the source of a problem and a fix. And bring your car in for service if you get a recall notice or experience symptoms in a TSB.

My understanding was a recall is issued when the issue relates to safety regardless of how many occurred. Non-safety issues are relegated to the TSB bin.
Mazda issued a recall for the fuel filler pipe and to my knowledge no vehicles burst into flames - but could have.

Exactly what I do. And when I park in my garage, I let my foot come off the brake gradually because I don't want it moving at all when the parking lock engages.

I've gotten into the habit of placing the gear selector in neutral and then releasing the foot brake before selecting park and setting the EPB. Same thing in my garage except that I don't set the EPB.

My understanding was a recall is issued when the issue relates to safety regardless of how many occurred. Non-safety issues are relegated to the TSB bin.
Mazda issued a recall for the fuel filler pipe and to my knowledge no vehicles burst into flames - but could have.
Mazda was forced to issue the fuel filler pipe recall by NHTSA who found the flaw during a rear end test. Mazda couldn't prepare the recall fast enough and had to stop selling the CX-5 for several weeks in January 2016 until a temporary solution was ready by removing a bolt holding the fuel filler pipe.

Yes, at the time someone here posted a picture of a CX-5 which was burned severely for unknown reason.

I use my EPB every time I park, even on a level surface in the garage. The one thing I don't do is let it release "automatically" when the throttle is applied. I didn't like the way that felt when I first got the CX-5, so I always release it manually like you would if it were an old-fashioned mechanical parking brake. I've no idea if that helps or not but it makes me feel better.
+1 on no automatic release. It's way too jerky. And EPB every time I park, which is almost always on at least a mild incline.

I've gotten into the habit of placing the gear selector in neutral and then releasing the foot brake before selecting park and setting the EPB. Same thing in my garage except that I don't set the EPB.
I do just the opposite. I keep my foot on the brake, put it in park, engage the EPB, and release the foot brake. The car doesn't move a bit from where I stopped. I do it that way to keep strain off the parking pawl in the transmission. I figure any tranny repair will be worse than rear brakes.

How do you keep your car from moving using your method when you're on anything but a dead level surface?

+1 on no automatic release. It's way too jerky. And EPB every time I park, which is almost always on at least a mild incline.
Same here.

I do just the opposite. I keep my foot on the brake, put it in park, engage the EPB, and release the foot brake. The car doesn't move a bit from where I stopped. I do it that way to keep strain off the parking pawl in the transmission. I figure any tranny repair will be worse than rear brakes.
And I do exactly the same like you do.

How do you keep your car from moving using your method when you're on anything but a dead level surface?

There's zero strain on the parking pawl using my method. If I'm parking on an incline I have to adjust my normal procedure and do it your way.

Parking Brake Malfunction

For the past few weeks 3 out of 5 times when I start the CX-5, I see the following:

1. Red flashing "BRAKE" light near the dials
2. Orange steady "P" light near the dials
3. Flashing "P" light on the electronic parking brake
4. Two warnings in the infotainment reading "Parking brake malfunction. A malfunction has occurred in the parking brake system. Consult your Mazda dealer for inspection".

Whenever this happens, the brake is not engaged and I can drive like normal. Took it to the dealership yesterday but accidentally turned off the car before I stepped out. When I turned it on, the warnings did not appear. It reappeared last evening and this morning.

I read here this could be because of freezing temperatures. I live in South Texas and it was well over 70 F today and I still had the warnings.

It happens when engine is warm and cold. Any idea what could be causing this?

See links below :
https://youtu.be/-syaHF3j1O8
https://youtu.be/glQT8Gi4Nmc

My 2016 CX-5 started having this exact issue above (and in the youtube videos)a few months ago. I took it into the dealership and of course they couldn't replicate the issue. It started up again the past couple of weeks and would also be accompanied with the car struggling to start. I took a video and planned to get it into the shop after the weekend ended, but the next day my car was dead and couldn't be jumped in my garage. After getting it towed to the dealership they are claiming the only thing wrong is a dead battery. Does anybody have access to that TSB R052/16C? I called Mazda Corporate and they wouldn't provide it for me.

My 2016 CX-5 started having this exact issue above (and in the youtube videos)a few months ago. I took it into the dealership and of course they couldn't replicate the issue. It started up again the past couple of weeks and would also be accompanied with the car struggling to start. I took a video and planned to get it into the shop after the weekend ended, but the next day my car was dead and couldn't be jumped in my garage. After getting it towed to the dealership they are claiming the only thing wrong is a dead battery. Does anybody have access to that TSB R052/16C? I called Mazda Corporate and they wouldn't provide it for me.
Here you go ...

No, there're several for this EPB dragging issue because Mazda didn't figure out what was the root cause in the beginning. Mazda started to replace EPB control module with software fix (just like cylinder deactivation issue with software fix on first try), then eventually have to revise the rear calipers.

TSB 04-005/16: Noise from Rear Brakes Due To Brake Drag

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

My CX VIN is within the range of the TSB and I have no issues with the rear brakes or the parking brake. I use the EPB whenever the CX is not parked in my garage.

I'll be rotating the wheels in the next couple of days and I'll do a very thorough exam of the rear brake components and report back.

My CX VIN is within the range of the TSB and I have no issues with the rear brakes or the parking brake. I use the EPB whenever the CX is not parked in my garage.

I'll be rotating the wheels in the next couple of days and I'll do a very thorough exam of the rear brake components and report back.
Make sure to compare thickness difference between outer and inner pads thats the best indication youre having this EPB dragging problem.

Make sure to compare thickness difference between outer and inner pads that*s the best indication you*re having this EPB dragging problem.

So I got around to rotating my wheels yesterday. I washed and waxed 'em (inboard and out) while I had them off the car.

I did a thorough inspection of the suspension and brake components while I was at it. I paid VERY close attention to the brake pads. I wasn't able to accurately measure the pads without removing them but based on what I saw, everything is perfect. At just under 25k miles the pads still have plenty of 'meat' left and all of them are wearing evenly. The rotors also looked perfect.

So I got around to rotating my wheels yesterday. I washed and waxed 'em (inboard and out) while I had them off the car.

I did a thorough inspection of the suspension and brake components while I was at it. I paid VERY close attention to the brake pads. I wasn't able to accurately measure the pads without removing them but based on what I saw, everything is perfect. At just under 25k miles the pads still have plenty of 'meat' left and all of them are wearing evenly. The rotors also looked perfect.
Thats good news and it seems you have no issues on rear brake dragging. You have a 2016.5 CX-5 and it shouldnt be the subject to have such problem based on the TSB on model year. The TSB says CX-5s with VIN JM3 KE 600015 - 866136 are affected, and every CX-5 built on or after September 9, 2016 is having newer version rear calipers. What is the manufacture date on your CX-5?

Its too late to mention it, but the TSB has described the way to distinguish the revised rear calipers since the part number hasnt changed. Distinguish the modified one from old one using the 3-digit lot number (Production Date) stamped on the caliper. Calipers with the lot number (production date) of 697 (2016/09/07) and higher are modified.

That*s good news and it seems you have no issues on rear brake dragging. You have a 2016.5 CX-5 and it shouldn*t be the subject to have such problem based on the TSB on model year. The TSB says CX-5*s with VIN JM3 KE 600015 - 866136 are affected, and every CX-5 built on or after September 9, 2016 is having newer version rear calipers. What is the manufacture date on your CX-5?

It*s too late to mention it, but the TSB has described the way to distinguish the revised rear calipers since the part number hasn*t changed. *Distinguish the modified one from old one using the 3-digit lot number (Production Date) stamped on the caliper. Calipers with the lot number (production date) of 697 (2016/09/07) and higher are modified.*

Well crap! I knew that there was something that else that I should have checked on while I had the wheels off! Do you know where exactly that stamp is located on the caliper? I just checked the built date as shown on the driver's door sticker. It says 8/16.

"The TSB says CX-5*s with VIN JM3 KE 600015 - 866136 are affected" My VIN falls within those numbers, it's near the end of that sequence but it is within it.

My 16 falls in the VIN range and no problems. Was in for service couple weeks ago and all 4 brakes are fine. Somebody said it will affect all CX-5's in the VIN range but I'm not so sure. I don't let the parking brake snap off, I release it manually each time before putting the car in gear. I also apply it with the vehicle in park and my foot on the brake.

Back