cx9 due for facelift and next gen cx9?

:
2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring
The cx-9 was released in 2016,
Do you all think the cx-9 is due for a facelift for MY 2020 next year?
or will they just add more options and keep the look unchanged?
If you take the miata into consideration, there doesn't seem to be any facelift done to the car after it's 3-4 year run, except added features like the
upgraded motor and options.

Also any speculation on when the next gen cx9 might be released, i'm guessing it would be in 2021?
what do you all guess it would be?

I like to own my cars as long as i can before there is a design change (usually 5- 6 years),
i do not want to get the current model just to have it face-lifted the following year.

The cx-9 was released in 2016,
Do you all think the cx-9 is due for a facelift for MY 2020 next year?
or will they just add more options and keep the look unchanged?
If you take the miata into consideration, there doesn't seem to be any facelift done to the car after it's 3-4 year run, except added features like the
upgraded motor and options.

Also any speculation on when the next gen cx9 might be released, i'm guessing it would be in 2021?
what do you all guess it would be?

I like to own my cars as long as i can before there is a design change (usually 5- 6 years),
i do not want to get the current model just to have it face-lifted the following year.

I would guess there would be cosmetic changes for 2020. But a new generation in 2021? Highly doubtful. The 1st generation debuted as MY 07; and the 2nd generation debuted as a MY '16 (in the Spring of '16, not the fall of '15). Will they stretch the 2nd gen that long? Hopefully not; but as a smaller company, I would expect them to keep costs down by having a longer life cycle than Honda or Toyota.

Just keep in mind, there's no guaranty you will like the facelift if they do that in '20.

I would guess there would be cosmetic changes for 2020. But a new generation in 2021? Highly doubtful. The 1st generation debuted as MY 07; and the 2nd generation debuted as a MY '16 (in the Spring of '16, not the fall of '15). Will they stretch the 2nd gen that long? Hopefully not; but as a smaller company, I would expect them to keep costs down by having a longer life cycle than Honda or Toyota.

Just keep in mind, there's no guaranty you will like the facelift if they do that in '20.

Ahhh that's only because they were transitioning from Ford.
A better comparison is if you look at the current Mazda3.
it debuted MY2014 and now next Gen will be for MY2019...unveiling 11/27

So i believe 2021 is probably when next gen CX-9 should come out.

yes the new mazda 3...unveiling 11/27 Can't wait for this..
I know it'll look great! too bad i'm not in the market for the 3..need to move up in size now.

Next Gen CX-9 should be even better since it's their flag ship model,
Pretty much betting they will add Pano Roof on all their next gen models as they plan on moving up market to compete with Acura and Infinity.

Mazda is up to something, though whether or not that will affect the CX9 in the short term is unknown.

https://www.motor1.com/news/272049/next-mazda-3-teased/?utm_source=msn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=msn-feed

yes the new mazda 3...unveiling 11/27 Can't wait for this..
I know it'll look great! too bad i'm not in the market for the 3..need to move up in size now.

Next Gen CX-9 should be even better since it's their flag ship model,
Pretty much betting they will add Pano Roof on all their next gen models as they plan on moving up market to compete with Acura and Infinity.

I'd take a better audio system, some engine tweaks to improve performance, or a functional set of fog lights over a heavier pano roof.

I'd take a better audio system, some engine tweaks to improve performance, or a functional set of fog lights over a heavier pano roof.

why not have it all?...it might happen.
i know pano roof adds weight..but i believe this is the #1 asked about option.
It does look and feel really cool and premium having a pano roof.
Mazda has to add this if they want to compete and move up market.

perfomance wise, sure it's not the fastest out there, but is sure handles better than most of the competition.

Ahhh that's only because they were transitioning from Ford.
A better comparison is if you look at the current Mazda3.
it debuted MY2014 and now next Gen will be for MY2019...unveiling 11/27

So i believe 2021 is probably when next gen CX-9 should come out.

And the current generation of the Mazda 6 debuted in '12, and is still going. So you can look out there for clues or hints if you want. The life cycle of a compact economy car is not the same as a mid-sized flagship SUV.

You are correct...hmmmm
The norm for a car's life cycle is about 5- 6 years...but you are right..one never knows.
if that's the case..i think my plan of leasing a cx-5 next year for 3 years hoping that the next gen cx-9 will be available after my lease return could be mis-timed...crap!!
I was also going by the life cycle of the Hyundai Santa fe..it was released in 2013 and it's completely redesigned for this year. I was surprised how quickly the next gen was released.

Perhaps in this day and age, to be competitive, Mazda will release next gen models sooner than later?
lf i lease in 2019 it will end in 2022, the CX-9 will be 7 years old by then...really hoping next gen will be out by that time.

And the current generation of the Mazda 6 debuted in '12, and is still going. So you can look out there for clues or hints if you want. The life cycle of a compact economy car is not the same as a mid-sized flagship SUV.

why not have it all?...it might happen.
i know pano roof adds weight..but i believe this is the #1 asked about option.
It does look and feel really cool and premium having a pano roof.
Mazda has to add this if they want to compete and move up market.

perfomance wise, sure it's not the fastest out there, but is sure handles better than most of the competition.

I really hope they dont add the pano roof... cause that will make me want to trade up!!!

For me, there were two boxes left unchecked when we purchased back in 2016 1. Pano roof and 2. Carplay. I checked the latter one about a month ago.

Of course I wouldnt mind seeing/having other improvements; but pano roof would provide the biggest impact for me.

Crossovers and SUVs historically have had longer life cycles, except maybe the compact class.

Look at the Explorer, at the end of a 9 year cycle! For some crazy reason, still #1. And that's in the most competitive crossover market ever and Ford was still in no rush.

We won't see a new CX-9 any sooner than the 2022 model year. Especially since the CX-9 is so good.

Dang I think youre right. 2022 will make the Cx-9, 6 years old right? And the Mazda 6 Is in its 6th year and no word on the next gen.

Crossovers and SUVs historically have had longer life cycles, except maybe the compact class.

Look at the Explorer, at the end of a 9 year cycle! For some crazy reason, still #1. And that's in the most competitive crossover market ever and Ford was still in no rush.

We won't see a new CX-9 any sooner than the 2022 model year. Especially since the CX-9 is so good.

It might be due for a facelift...though I don't see any drastic changes considering the current design cues of the concepts.

Considering the 6, and CX-5 already are using the current 2.5T, it deserves a more powerful engine to bring it on a higher notch for a "Flagship" model. Torque figures are already amazing, maybe better a HP figure and a longer powerband.

According to this site? but I'm not so sure.

https://www.newbestsuv.com/2020-mazda-cx-9/
The exterior and interior design
As for the exterior design, the CX-9 will look like the larger version of the CX-5 model and it is an elegant SUV characterized by a long hood, slim headlamps, and large grille. The rear end is dominated by the pair of exhaust outlets which give it a sportier look and horizontal taillights. For the 2020 Mazda CX-9, we expect some small changes in terms of external appearance and those will include small revisions of the lights on the front and rear fascia and revised bumpers. Furthermore, we could also see a few more exterior color shades. As well, some new designs of wheels are also very likely to happen.

According to this site? but I'm not so sure.

https://www.newbestsuv.com/2020-mazda-cx-9/
The exterior and interior design
As for the exterior design, the CX-9 will look like the larger version of the CX-5 model and it is an elegant SUV characterized by a long hood, slim headlamps, and large grille. The rear end is dominated by the pair of exhaust outlets which give it a sportier look and horizontal taillights. For the 2020 Mazda CX-9, we expect some small changes in terms of external appearance and those will include small revisions of the lights on the front and rear fascia and revised bumpers. Furthermore, we could also see a few more exterior color shades. As well, some new designs of wheels are also very likely to happen.

Yeah... that doesnt say anything but regular minor styling changes that they make every year. If they do change some stuff around like fascia, lights, and bumpers, that would probably be more like a refresh, but certainly doesnt seem to be talking about next gen which entails a total redesign. And if a refresh does happen in 2020 (which sounds reasonable)... Id say next gen wouldnt happen til 2023 or 2024???

Last edited:
*Just keep in mind, there's no guaranty you will like the facelift if they do that in '20.

I think this was the case with the CX-7. Initially the 7 was a sleek new design, but within a few years, the cosmetic tweaks made to the front end turned that vehicle into a somewhat hideous animation. Even the young woman who helped us buy our new CX-9 commented that she thought the now discontinued 7*s looked like a *clown face*. I told her I agreed, and was glad I had the 2007. In hindsight, I think they couldn*t make up their mind what that vehicle was supposed to be, and who it was to appeal to?

It might be due for a facelift...though I don't see any drastic changes considering the current design cues of the concepts.

You make a very good observation. They appear to be fully committed to the KODO Soul of Motion philosophy and implementing throughout their line-up. I personally think it is a very refined and elegant look * even understated - in a world where many new designs appear exaggerated, forced, or downright ugly.

Also, count me among those who do not want panoramic glass roof; if they do eventually make it available, I hope it would be an option independent of trimline for only those interested.
Edit: I think that as these vehicles have become more and more advanced, the frequency of complete model refresh will occur less often, and minor cosmetic changes will be the rule.

Last edited:
Edit: I think that as these vehicles have become more and more advanced, the frequency of complete model refresh will occur less often, and minor cosmetic changes will be the rule.

I tend to differ in this topic.
technology changes so quickly that they need to update to keep it fresh and competitive, i'm not saying they should do a complete refresh every 4 years or so,
but i think every 6 years is a reasonable life span for a design.

If you look at Mazda's new range of vehicles.
refresh happens about 3 years after introduction and then a new model 2 years after that.
I believe this is what they did with the mazda 3, cx-5 and the cx-3 give or take a year.

This Canadian article seems to agree with phxzoom with regard to a major redesign. They very factually state another 3-4 years after 2019.

https://www.auto123.com/en/car-reviews/2019-mazda-cx9-midsize-suv-review/65236/

Quote from article (bolding is mine):

So, this is a second-generation family SUV that has proven its worth on the market for 12 years and counting. Mazda is not planning a full revision of the model for another three or four years * something to keep in mind when considering what the resale value of your new 2019 model might be in a few years.

Last edited:
Mazda Canada Unlimited Mileage Warranty

This Canadian article seems to agree with phxzoom with regard to a major redesign. They very factually state another 3-4 years after 2019.

https://www.auto123.com/en/car-reviews/2019-mazda-cx9-midsize-suv-review/65236/

Quote from article (bolding is mine):

What caught my eye in that article is this: Another plus is that Mazda offers an unlimited-mileage warranty on all of its new models. So, I checked out Mazda Canada's website and found the details into Mazda's Unlimited Mileage Warranty:

Mazda Unlimited Mileage Warranty
Standard on all new models

Mazda vehicles are designed to be driven, and to prove it, weve introduced Mazda Unlimited the only warranty program of its kind in Canada.

Mazda Unlimited features unlimited mileage for our 3-YEAR New Vehicle, 3-YEAR Roadside Assistance, 5-YEAR Powertrain and 7-YEAR Anti-Perforation warranties, so you can focus on every thrilling moment spent behind the wheel instead of the odometer.

Standard on all new models.

It's a shame that Mazda USA does not offer this. I mean, I realize the warranty is still definitely not as good as what some other manufacturers (like VW, Hyundai/Kia) offer, but it's still better than the current warranty with mileage restrictions.

Back