Rodents eating wiring in cars. Does Mazda have this problem?

Confirmed! Holy Crap $1500 and Mazda saying its not their fault. Hell no. I'm going after them!

Could you explain how this is Mazda's fault? Mice/rats will eat any insulation they find, regardless of the make or model of the vehicle. I don't think you can blame this on Mazda or any manufacturer. This was caused by the mouse/rat problem you have.

Mazda isn't liable for this - the same thing happened to my 1994 Nissan Sentra 25 years ago. Rodents chew everything, you just got unlucky.

Confirmed! Holy Crap $1500 and Mazda saying its not their fault. Hell no. I'm going after them!
Dude, unless Godzilla ate those, it ain't the fault of the Japanese.

Even then, I'd blame Oppenheimer.

Good luck there buddy. The only thing you should go after is the mice!

To those affected...damn I feel you pain.

To Mice...damn I'd probably be careful if you came across some free cheese all of a sudden

I had mice going up into my 2019 F-150. I now have traps underneath and a camera to watch. I live in the hills where mice are a problem, this is the first time I have an issue with the vehicles. Now I will need to watch the CX as well.

I had mice going up into my 2019 F-150. I now have traps underneath and a camera to watch. I live in the hills where mice are a problem, this is the first time I have an issue with the vehicles. Now I will need to watch the CX as well.
My son lives in suburbia. His 2019 CX5 Signature has been disabled by rodents. Dealer sent video of damage and the cost to replace damaged wiring harnesses is in excess of $6K and counting. Car is still at the dealer.

I would certainly think so. I think the comments about it being "Mazda's fault" and that it should be warrantied are amusing. So would the same folks say salt damage on a car near the ocean would be the manufacturers fault too?

My son lives in suburbia. His 2019 CX5 Signature has been disabled by rodents. Dealer sent video of damage and the cost to replace damaged wiring harnesses is in excess of $6K and counting. Car is still at the dealer.
The car is still at the dealer, about 10 days now, and the estimate is higher than $6K

Fortunately insurance was able to cover under vandalism, less a big deductible.

About 3 years ago, I had to help my Mom get rid of a squirrel that decided to make nest in the insulation under the hood of her Subaru Slowpoke I mean Crosstrek

... Fortunately insurance was able to cover under vandalism, less a big deductible.
Can you tell me, was that the homeowner policy or auto policy that covered the rodent damage to the car?

Can you tell me, was that the homeowner policy or auto policy that covered the rodent damage to the car?
He has everything with Amica. I think it may have been homeowners, but not sure. Will ask when I see him.

The car is still at the dealer, about 10 days now, and the estimate is higher than $6K

Man those mice. You really should get some cats!

Ditto on mouse-chewed wiring. They also like the acoustic damper lining under the engine cover, and cabin air filter makes great nesting material.

Ditto on mouse-chewed wiring. They also like the acoustic damper lining under the engine cover, and cabin air filter makes great nesting material.
A few years ago while visiting overseas, my relatives had a Volkswagen and a Toyota parked side-by-side in the garage. Mice regularly chewed on the wires under the hood of the Toyota at great expense, but interestingly left the VW alone. They finally got rid of the problem, by placing a few traps and making a nice bed for the cat near the Toyota.

So now the question is how to prevent this from happening again? I am looking for some kind of spray that might help, apply every month type thing.

I have ordered some Honda 4019-2317 rodent tape to protect my wife's 21 CX5, since she is over there all the time, and is worried she could be next. Honda 4019-2317 is a capsaicin based tape.

Uncertain of the Honda 4019-2317 mechanism, but I would assume that the rodent takes a bite of the tape and is deterred I don't think the capsaicin is applied on the surface of the tape otherwise the capsaicin might be cooked off by heat or stripped by the adhesive . YouTubers are shown handling the tape without gloves, which seems to indicate it is safe to handle...

The dealer service desk suggested that peppermint oil does not work, and we should use a capsaicin based spray in the wheel wells, tires and the engine bay, but he did not have a recommendation on a brand or source, other than a vague Home Depot recommendation.

Researching at Home Depot, it seems that all the sprays are based on some combination of peppermint and other essential (Rosemary, etc.) oils, garlic and/or putrescent egg white solids.

The only capsaicin based spray I could find was Bonide 127. When you lookup reviews on spray, there is marked drop in ratings after 2020. Pretty much every review goes from 4-5 stars to 1 star don't waste your money. The complaint is that the concentration of capsaicin is so weak as to be non-existent, and it does not work. Some have gone so far as to taste it, and no heat to the tongue.

What do forum users find that works against mice. Nearly $7K in wiring damage is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:
Back