Rodents eating wiring in cars. Does Mazda have this problem?

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
23 Kia Stinger GT Elite
Hey all, I've been reading and watching the news about newer cars with plant based (soy) insulation on the wiring.
Apparently, mice and other rodents love this stuff, and have disabled many cars by chewing wire harnesses under the hood and in the dash.

One news show I watched showed a Honda CR-V owner with thousands of dollars worth of damage on his new car, which Honda refused to cover under the warranty.
I have read that Toyota and a few others use the same "environmentally friendly" insulation now, instead of the old petroleum based insulation.

My question is, does anyone know if Mazda uses the same delicious-to-rats insulation as say, Honda or Toyota?
I have mice around my house, and routinely trap/kill two or three a week.
I don't need my new car chewed up, and then not have the damage covered by warranty, if I can help it.
Thanks

Confirmed..had mice chew through my AWD wiring harness(after I falsely accused my wife of breaking my car)- dealer mentioned soy based wires- they showed me the damage when they had it on the lift.. that one only cost a cpl hundo..yeah not cool- sorry for the bad news..not sure if that's still the case in later MYs but probably safe bet.

Last edited:
Maybe you should apply some liquid rat poison on your wires. Kill two birds (rodents?) with one stone.

Last edited:
Read some where that applying the hottest chilli sauce on the wires would prevent the rodents from getting to them. Perhaps it is time to take out that un used bottle of Sriracha hot sauce!

I have a friend RJ who had a Dodge van that had a rat or whatever that ate through the wiring on his AT. RJ, who was skilled at and trained to argue/discuss problems, convinced the dealer who called Dodge and got new wiring installed at no cost to him. I don't remember the discussion but, the result was that Dodge should have reasonably provided him with a reliable vehicle and anticipated that type of problem. This happened ~ 30 + years ago and some manufactures still haven't caught on to this potential problem and changed the type of insulation. It should be warrantied. Ed

Please dont use poison. It kills animals higher up the food chain.

Maybe try stuffing some moth balls in there unless you think itll be too hot under the plastic cover. There is also a rodent repellent type sleeve you can put over the wires.

So far I haven't seen any evidence of mice eating the wiring in the Mazda, but I always keep a couple of traps in the garage and around the house.
I routinely trap them in my barbeque, of all places. I guess they like my cooking.
Last winter when I was away for two months (Florida), I came home to find a mouse home in the intake air box of the Pathfinder.
Luckily they didn't get past the MAF sensor screen and into the throttle body and intake.
I had to disassemble the air intake tubes and filter box to get all the nesting stuff out.
As for cats, I don't have pets, but my neighbour has a nasty cat that roams free, and kills everything but mice. He's killed all the chipmunks, and a few squirrels. I hate that cat.

Hey all, I've been reading and watching the news about newer cars with plant based (soy) insulation on the wiring.
Apparently, mice and other rodents love this stuff, and have disabled many cars by chewing wire harnesses under the hood and in the dash.

One news show I watched showed a Honda CR-V owner with thousands of dollars worth of damage on his new car, which Honda refused to cover under the warranty.
I have read that Toyota and a few others use the same "environmentally friendly" insulation now, instead of the old petroleum based insulation.

My question is, does anyone know if Mazda uses the same delicious-to-rats insulation as say, Honda or Toyota?
I have mice around my house, and routinely trap/kill two or three a week.
I don't need my new car chewed up, and then not have the damage covered by warranty, if I can help it.
Thanks

Yes, they use wire from the same companies, and wire loom manufacturers, so the soy problem is throughout. They do make a very spicy capsaicin tape that is meant to be used to protect the wires, but then the service person has to be certain to use gloves and eye protection when working near the spicy tape.

Please don*t use poison. It kills animals higher up the food chain.

Maybe try stuffing some moth balls in there unless you think it*ll be too hot under the plastic cover. There is also a rodent repellent type sleeve you can put over the wires.

Like what? The feral cats who are literally invasive in almost every environment? lol.

The car lol. You typically don't see birds of prey in the metro area.. they are often in rural locations where there are large open areas and thermals. Cats tend to hang around establishment too where you find only city birds.

Last edited:
The car lol. You typically don't see birds of prey in the metro area.. they are often in rural locations where there are large open areas and thermals. Cats tend to hang around establishment too where you find only city birds.

I live in suburbia, not exactly city, not exactly country, and we have hawks, ospreys and bald eagles as neighbors.

I think I might have started the whole rat poison thing but I was joking. Sorry about that.

There is another solution to rodent damage, Mouse Blocker(might be called something else in the US). I work at an Auto dealership in an area with lots of rural properties, and we sell a ton of these. Its a small unit that attaches to the battery and emits a very high pitched squeal, above the hearing threshold of most people LOL.. But it does work and I have heard from many of my clients that their rodent problem has vanished. Worth a look , considering the cost of repairing a harness these days. They run around $100.00 and are very easy to install..

But I'm never sure what to wine to serve with it. (uhm)

Back