Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodents eating wiring in cars. Does mazda have this problem?

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Rodents eating wiring in cars. Does mazda have this problem?

Hey all, I've been reading and watching the news about newer cars with plant based (soy) insulation on the wiring.
    Apparently, mice and other rodents love this stuff, and have disabled many cars by chewing wire harnesses under the hood and in the dash.

One news show I watched showed a Honda CR-V owner with thousands of dollars worth of damage on his new car, which Honda refused to cover under the warranty.
    I have read that Toyota and a few others use the same "environmentally friendly" insulation now, instead of the old petroleum based insulation.

My question is, does anyone know if Mazda uses the same delicious-to-rats insulation as say, Honda or Toyota?
    I have mice around my house, and routinely trap/kill two or three a week.
    I don't need my new car chewed up, and then not have the damage covered by warranty, if I can help it.
    Thanks

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech, E84 valencia x1 sdrive msport

Confirmed..had mice chew through my AWD wiring harness(after I falsely accused my wife of breaking my car)- dealer mentioned soy based wires- they showed me the damage when they had it on the lift.. that one only cost a cpl hundo..yeah not cool- sorry for the bad news..not sure if that's still the case in later MYs but probably safe bet.
    Last edited by Monterra; 11-07-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTMFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- change averse much?
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- good times- newfound respect for term mid-engined oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one until gremlins came
    +nice house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence?
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not so boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Its got 4drs, I like it, fast enough and it still does donuts, e-steering won't let me love it

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Soy is crap. It will kill you, and your car.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5

Maybe you should apply some liquid rat poison on your wires. Kill two birds (rodents?) with one stone.
    Last edited by hooked; 11-08-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Registered Member

CX-5 AWD, 2017

Read some where that applying the hottest chilli sauce on the wires would prevent the rodents from getting to them. Perhaps it is time to take out that un used bottle of Sriracha hot sauce!

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Perhaps have a cat in the garage. Eliminates mice problem introduces cat scratch to paint

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

I have a friend RJ who had a Dodge van that had a rat or whatever that ate through the wiring on his AT. RJ, who was skilled at and trained to argue/discuss problems, convinced the dealer who called Dodge and got new wiring installed at no cost to him. I don't remember the discussion but, the result was that Dodge should have reasonably provided him with a reliable vehicle and anticipated that type of problem. This happened ~ 30 + years ago and some manufactures still haven't caught on to this potential problem and changed the type of insulation. It should be warrantied. Ed

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Please donít use poison. It kills animals higher up the food chain.

Maybe try stuffing some moth balls in there unless you think itíll be too hot under the plastic cover. There is also a rodent repellent type sleeve you can put over the wires.

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

So far I haven't seen any evidence of mice eating the wiring in the Mazda, but I always keep a couple of traps in the garage and around the house.
    I routinely trap them in my barbeque, of all places. I guess they like my cooking.
    Last winter when I was away for two months (Florida), I came home to find a mouse home in the intake air box of the Pathfinder.
    Luckily they didn't get past the MAF sensor screen and into the throttle body and intake.
    I had to disassemble the air intake tubes and filter box to get all the nesting stuff out.
    As for cats, I don't have pets, but my neighbour has a nasty cat that roams free, and kills everything but mice. He's killed all the chipmunks, and a few squirrels. I hate that cat.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    Hey all, I've been reading and watching the news about newer cars with plant based (soy) insulation on the wiring.
    Apparently, mice and other rodents love this stuff, and have disabled many cars by chewing wire harnesses under the hood and in the dash.

One news show I watched showed a Honda CR-V owner with thousands of dollars worth of damage on his new car, which Honda refused to cover under the warranty.
    I have read that Toyota and a few others use the same "environmentally friendly" insulation now, instead of the old petroleum based insulation.

My question is, does anyone know if Mazda uses the same delicious-to-rats insulation as say, Honda or Toyota?
    I have mice around my house, and routinely trap/kill two or three a week.
    I don't need my new car chewed up, and then not have the damage covered by warranty, if I can help it.
    Thanks
    Yes, they use wire from the same companies, and wire loom manufacturers, so the soy problem is throughout. They do make a very spicy capsaicin tape that is meant to be used to protect the wires, but then the service person has to be certain to use gloves and eye protection when working near the spicy tape.
    Mazda's I have owned over the years. (boom07)
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    Please don*t use poison. It kills animals higher up the food chain.

Maybe try stuffing some moth balls in there unless you think it*ll be too hot under the plastic cover. There is also a rodent repellent type sleeve you can put over the wires.
    Like what? The feral cats who are literally invasive in almost every environment? lol.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Like what? The feral cats who are literally invasive in almost every environment? lol.
    But then what eats the cat?

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Birds of prey. Owls, falcons, hawks, etc.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

The car lol. You typically don't see birds of prey in the metro area.. they are often in rural locations where there are large open areas and thermals. Cats tend to hang around establishment too where you find only city birds.
    Last edited by Chris_Top_Her; 11-09-2018 at 09:49 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5

The car lol. You typically don't see birds of prey in the metro area.. they are often in rural locations where there are large open areas and thermals. Cats tend to hang around establishment too where you find only city birds.
    I live in suburbia, not exactly city, not exactly country, and we have hawks, ospreys and bald eagles as neighbors.

I think I might have started the whole rat poison thing but I was joking. Sorry about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast