2019 CX5 Turbo update (Ontario)

:
2022 CX-9 GT 2.5L Turbo
2018 CX-5 GT 2.5L N/A CD [RETIRED]
Spoke to my sales guy (in Toronto last night) as I have reserved a 2018 GT with tech for purchase with potential of going to the 2019 turbo, but after hearing the price jump, I can't imagine pulling the trigger.

2018 GT with tech is $42K out the door here in Ontario.
The 2019 GT has a price bump of about $750 while the out the door price for the 2019 GT Turbo is just north of $47K. The Signature is north of $48K out the door.

They are expecting arrival of the 2019's in their showroom by end of December.

I have doubts that the CX5 turbo's will sell here in Ontario for that price.

I agree!!! I live in Quebec and with this price its gonna be a flop. 2-3 K more its reasonable but nearly 10k its too much.
Theres a lot of choices at 48000$ and more.

The price becomes an issue if they don't deal. I was all for the CX-5 signature but my wife really wants to give up the mini van and move to the CX-9 signature and keep our old CX5. Given that car can be had for 41K USD, it makes the decision difficult.

You should be able to negotiate the price down at least 5-10% off MSRP. If they won't budge, find another dealership or wait a few months. The fact that you've already reserved a 2018 GT may play in your favour as they might be more willing to deal if they sense that you'll walk on the 2018 to get a better deal on the 2019 somewhere else.

Like I stated, as Mazda moves upstream prices will eventually follow.

How do these new prices compare to a similarly equipped Q5?

Like I stated, as Mazda moves upstream prices will eventually follow.

How do these new prices compare to a similarly equipped Q5?

For a Q5 up here, with similar features, you're looking at $54K + taxes and fees which will put you north of $63K.

Not to mention the cost of maintenance on an Audi is $$$ compared to the Mazda.

48K Canadian is ~36.6 USD. That is still a good deal (in the USA!). Not sure what the car market is like in Canada but the Infinity, BMW, Volvo, Audi, equivalents with at least the minimal equivalent seats (heated) and safety features (blind spot monitoring) cost ~7-15K more than the CX-5 signature.

Ford, Hyundai and Kia make some cars that are solid competition but for the price, the CX-5 signature is a very good deal. And honestly, the CX-9 Signature is even a better deal when you realize in the USA, the true car price is roughly ~40K.

48K Canadian is ~36.6 USD. That is still a good deal (in the USA!). Not sure what the car market is like in Canada but the Infinity, BMW, Volvo, Audi, equivalents with at least the minimal equivalent seats (heated) and safety features (blind spot monitoring) cost ~7-15K more than the CX-5 signature.

Ford, Hyundai and Kia make some cars that are solid competition but for the price, the CX-5 signature is a very good deal. And honestly, the CX-9 Signature is even a better deal when you realize in the USA, the true car price is roughly ~40K.

That's what my sales guy was saying as well. If you look at the $ of the CX-5 Signature, you're better off getting a CX-9 (albeit not the signature trim) for the same price.

Last edited:

CX-9 is a rocking deal - since many top end Pilots go north of $50K. CX-9 Sig for 40K is ton of value with some sacrifices.

That's what my sales guy was saying as well. If you look at the $ of the CX-5 Signature, you're better off getting a CX-9 (albeit not the signature trim).

If you are buying potatoes that argument holds true - 1 lb for $3 or 2 lbs for $5. CX-9 and 5 are different segments altogether with different running costs as well. CX-9, though class leading in handling is still a big CUV. CX-5 is an easier commuter car. CX-9 maybe not.

If you are buying potatoes that argument holds true - 1 lb for $3 or 2 lbs for $5. CX-9 and 5 are different segments altogether with different running costs as well. CX-9, though class leading in handling is still a big CUV. CX-5 is an easier commuter car. CX-9 maybe not.

Yeah, for some, the CX-9 is just too big and the CX-5 will be perfect. Forcing a buying decision up is not a bad thing honestly

The thing is i also really like the cx9 but is due for a facelift in a year or so. Which is pretty soon and then a complete redesign following that. So the current cx9 will be outdated in about 2 years. Hence Im probably going to lease the new cx5 signature and then move onto the next gen cx9.

47k for GT Turbo ... thats not a very good value anymore IMO.

This is my struggle it is just an opinion. I know I either accept it or move on, but it has me leaning heavily toward the next class. I just don't see the CX-5 as a premium car deserving of a premium price - yet anyway. There are a lot of vehicles that can be had coming off a lease with very low miles that will be more on the luxury/performance side. When I post on this forum it is that I am still considering Mazda as I have been somewhat loyal, but on the other side I am starting to have some other desires creep in (luxury type quietness at interstate speed is one).

I look each morning I check my area on Cargurus and see a number of late model GLC300 AWD, Audi Q5 AWD, and Macan S AWD in my area with low miles and in the low $40s.

I will continue to hang out on this forum and see what owners think of the overall value and performance of the CX-5. I am not ready to take the CX-5 off my list of consideration, but it is struggling on my list at the moment.

Last edited:
FWIW the CX-5 compares well to the luxury brands in terms of quietness. You can find measurements online.

Everyone likes to start comparing value to Audi, Mercedes, and BMW when cars like the CX-5 reach the $38k range, but theres still a huge price gap. I get it, because Im the typical fringe luxury buyer. However, while Id love to own a new style Q5, its really not that financially close when you consider the overall cost of ownership of a German car and how loaded the CX-5 Sig will be in comparison to a base CPO 2018+ Q5. Ive tried to rationalize an Audi or Mercedes purchase and the numbers just never work out. Mazda, even with the higher pricing, is hands down the best mix of looks and value for a crossover.

FWIW the CX-5 compares well to the luxury brands in terms of quietness. You can find measurements online.

Everyone likes to start comparing value to Audi, Mercedes, and BMW when cars like the CX-5 reach the $38k range, but there*s still a huge price gap. I get it, because I*m the typical fringe luxury buyer. However, while I*d love to own a new style Q5, it*s really not that financially close when you consider the overall cost of ownership of a German car and how loaded the CX-5 Sig will be in comparison to a *base* CPO 2018+ Q5. I*ve tried to rationalize an Audi or Mercedes purchase and the numbers just never work out. Mazda, even with the higher pricing, is hands down the best mix of looks and value for a crossover.

Mazda6 Wagon is routinely compared with Merc in EU. CX-5 and price tag alone might look like a problem. But lets see what Mazda has in terms of features.
Full safety tech / cooled seats / folding mirrors / 360 camera / Integrated HUD / Sen wood / Nappa Leather for 36K is really good. People who are balking at this price tag are probably not the target audience for this trim. People hunting alternatives from an already lux brand might not blink an eye at this price. An entry level NX is 35-36K. CPO Lexus is probably 31-32K.

Mazda has come a long way for quietness inside the vehicle, however when compared to my daily driven 2005 Volvo S60, I am not sure if they are at the same level or not. From my 20 minutes test drive in the 2018 CX-5 GT it did not seem that it is more quiet. But that just my short test drive. Anyone has had other cars that feel it is more or less quiet compared to the CX-5? My wife's 2008 RX350 does feel a little more noisy with winter tires on.

Mazda has come a long way for quietness inside the vehicle, however when compared to my daily driven 2005 Volvo S60, I am not sure if they are at the same level or not. From my 20 minutes test drive in the 2018 CX-5 GT it did not seem that it is more quiet. But that just my short test drive. Anyone has had other cars that feel it is more or less quiet compared to the CX-5? My wife's 2008 RX350 does feel a little more noisy with winter tires on.

Sound is ALL about perception. I presume you're not 5 years old, so you've lived a life of damage, from loud radio, to rock concerts, maybe to a deployment in Afghanistan. Your hearing will be different from your wife, your nephew, your uncle. It's impossible for a person vs. person to compare things like "car noise" when they are so objectively close (65 vs. 66dB) because those peak impulses occur at different frequencies. Your hearing may suffer in higher frequencies, so a car making 70dB at a higher frequency than one making 67dB at a lower frequency might actually sound quieter to you. Put your 8 year old kid in the cars, and he will become frustrated with your analysis. So, OBJECTIVE is the only way we can honestly talk about these things, unless we want to spin it as a personal preference for a certain vehicle, and then, it's got to be understood as such.

Car and Driver had the current CX-5 at 65db on the highway (compared to 69 db on the 1st gen). Their words were "luxury-like" (https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-mazda-cx-5-fwd-test-review)

The Mercedes E43 with the acoustic package came in at 63db while the new Audi A7 clocked in at 66db as well (https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/files/audia72019-1541517622.pdf)

Other new cars they recently tested:
- WRX STI Type RA: 73db
- 911 GT3 Touring: 80db
- Nissan Altima: 70db
- Audi RS5 Coupe: 69db
- Honda Accord 2.0T: 70db

Sound level is not the same thing as sound quality though but 65db is still very low - even if they're off by a couple db (eg. tested on different road surface) it's still highly competitive.

Sound is ALL about perception. I presume you're not 5 years old, so you've lived a life of damage, from loud radio, to rock concerts, maybe to a deployment in Afghanistan. Your hearing will be different from your wife, your nephew, your uncle. It's impossible for a person vs. person to compare things like "car noise" when they are so objectively close (65 vs. 66dB) because those peak impulses occur at different frequencies. Your hearing may suffer in higher frequencies, so a car making 70dB at a higher frequency than one making 67dB at a lower frequency might actually sound quieter to you. Put your 8 year old kid in the cars, and he will become frustrated with your analysis. So, OBJECTIVE is the only way we can honestly talk about these things, unless we want to spin it as a personal preference for a certain vehicle, and then, it's got to be understood as such.

Having grown up driving soft top Jeeps, my 2014 CX-5 road noise to me is like "meh". Don't even notice unless actively thinking about it (rare). But even then...meh.

Last edited:
Back