2019 CX5 Turbo update (Ontario)

Having grown up driving soft top Jeeps, my 2014 CX-5 road noise to me is like "meh". Don't even notice unless actively thinking about it (rare). But even then...meh.

Yeah, but it was one of the biggest negatives against the CX-5. Mazda has really addressed it and now their vehicles are some of the quietest on the market.

Yeah, but it was one of the biggest negatives against the CX-5. Mazda has really addressed it and now their vehicles are some of the quietest on the market.

Yeah the older I get the less I want to tolerate road noise. Thats the main reason I traded in my 2014 3 HB so early into the lease.

Yeah the older I get the less I want to tolerate road noise. That*s the main reason I traded in my 2014 3 HB so early into the lease.

My Jeep is what did it for me. I'd always owned sports cars. First road trip I took in my Jeep, I arrived feeling just fine. head wasn't stuffed full of cotton from the exhaust and road noise, etc. etc. and I was like "wow! this is kindof nice..."

No doubt. I am more or less commenting about differing perspectives. I never really noticed my CX-5 road noise, whereas others are acutely aware and sensitive to it. It's interesting.

Growing up and one of my first cars being a soft top Jeep, to me the gen 1 CX-5 is quiet on the road noise front. At least by comparison. Then you get in nicer cars and it's definitely quieter than that which makes you aware of how loud the Gen 1 is.

It's interesting.

Last edited:

When I bought the 14 CX-5 back in 13 out the door price in the low $20s it was what I expected for a cheap econo CUV. It has served me well through the years and I expect for a couple more at least. I have to admit that my current judgment and skepticism of the CX-5 is based on my model and year. I have progressed well financially and can definitely step up a class so my current top picks are the next level up to have a certain blend of quietness and performance.

My CX-5 has a lot of road noise (IMO) at highway speed. Sure I haven't used a sound meter, but based on coming off the interstate on a long drive is becomes apparent when slowing down how loud I had the music volume just to hear the lyrics or dialog from sports or whatever. Also having to speak a touch louder to my wife so we can hear each other. I am not saying we are screaming at each other, but it take a little more effort. I suppose my judgment of the current models could be unfair. I do have enough experience with mine in comparison to riding with friends that own Lexus, MB, Porsche and others in that class that there is a significant difference in terms of interior sound. Volume of music and effort to talk is greatly reduced. That is not scientific by any means, but it is a reality. My CX-5 is better on the interstate than my previous Nissan Titan with performance exhaust. Wow! that got old really fast with droning for a 5 to 6 hour drive. Loved how it towed my boat, but the exhaust noise was wearisome even in local traffic. Sold the truck as soon as I sold the boat.

Talking to a coworker that is now a Lexus fan said she was amazed on how less stressed she felt after a 6 hour drive than she did when they were buying from the economy class of cars. She said she could never step down after having that level of comfort and quietness on the interstate. I guess now that I am in my 50's I want to get that same experience, but also hope to have a touch more performance as well. If Mazda is truly becoming premium than I will at least give a test drive. I am interested to see observations from those of you that get the 19 CX-5.

Last edited:
When I bought the 14 CX-5 back in 13 out the door price in the low $20s it was what I expected for a cheap econo CUV. It has served me well through the years and I expect for a couple more at least. I have to admit that my current judgment and skepticism of the CX-5 is based on my model and year. I have progressed well financially and can definitely step up a class so my current top picks are the next level up to have a certain blend of quietness and performance.

My CX-5 has a lot of road noise (IMO) at highway speed. Sure I haven't used a sound meter, but based on coming off the interstate on a long drive is becomes apparent when slowing down how loud I had the music volume just to hear the lyrics or dialog from sports or whatever. Also having to speak a touch louder to my wife so we can hear each other. I am not saying we are screaming at each other, but it take a little more effort. I suppose my judgment of the current models could be unfair. I do have enough experience with mine in comparison to riding with friends that own Lexus, MB, Porsche and others in that class that there is a significant difference in terms of interior sound. Volume of music and effort to talk is greatly reduced. That is not scientific by any means, but it is a reality. My CX-5 is better on the interstate than my previous Nissan Titan with performance exhaust. Wow! that got old really fast with droning for a 5 to 6 hour drive. Loved how it towed my boat, but the exhaust noise was wearisome even in local traffic. Sold the truck as soon as I sold the boat.

Talking to a coworker that is now a Lexus fan said she was amazed on how less stressed she felt after a 6 hour drive than she did when they were buying from the economy class of cars. She said she could never step down after having that level of comfort and quietness on the interstate. I guess now that I am in my 50's I want to get that same experience, but also hope to have a touch more performance as well. If Mazda is truly becoming premium than I will at least give a test drive. I am interested to see observations from those of you that get the 19 CX-5.

It does make a difference over a long drive. I used to drive shorter distances and it never bothered me much (2014 GT). Now, I drive 3-4 hours at least once a week and the noise is annoying.

The easiest thing to do to see the difference in sound insulation from the older CX-5 to the newer CX-5 is play some music (in older car) at a volume level of 10 (make sure everything is set back to factory settings). Now get out of the car and shut the door (all window's closed). The volume of music inside and outside the car is surprisingly only slightly different. Now do the same experiment in a 2017+ CX-5 and the difference is what it should be (much reduced outside).

The 2017+ CX-5 is so much better in my mind. The sound deadening came at a price (speed) but honestly the 2017+ CX-5 feels faster around town and such than my 2014 even though on paper it may not be (the 2014 was the fastest year I think).

As Chris pointed out, you can get the GT with premium package for ~33K (USD) and the GT-R with the 2.5T for 34K (USD). Those are not bad prices. If you want the mileage, get the GT with Premium. If you want the performance get the GT-R. If you want everything get the Signature, which at 36-37 K is still a good deal.

In 2014 dollars (inflation adjusted) we are talking about a 34.8K car - which is not far from what the fully loaded 2014 GT cost back then.

Chatted with a BC based sales guy about pricing (basically the same as Ontario pricing) but he gave me the pre-tax numbers (but with Freight and PDI):

GT Turbo: $41,470
Signature: $42,970

A 2018 non-turbo GT is a tick over $37K right now but the 2019 is getting the Tech Package included from now on so I'm assuming there's a slight price increase (the tech package is $1,600).

Considering that a loaded CR-V is $40,810 I think those are pretty darn reasonable prices for a turbo CX-5.

Edit: A loaded 2019 Forester (no turbo) is $41,740 plus taxes as well.

Last edited:
Chatted with a BC based sales guy about pricing (basically the same as Ontario pricing) but he gave me the pre-tax numbers (but with Freight and PDI):

GT Turbo: $41,470
Signature: $42,970

A 2018 non-turbo GT is a tick over $37K right now but the 2019 is getting the Tech Package included from now on so I'm assuming there's a slight price increase (the tech package is $1,600).

Considering that a loaded CR-V is $40,810 I think those are pretty darn reasonable prices for a turbo CX-5.

Edit: A loaded 2019 Forester (no turbo) is $41,740 plus taxes as well.

The mentioned CR-V was once labeled as highly overpriced here, and now it cost less, and the Mazda is pretty darn reasonable... Lol

The mentioned CR-V was once labeled as highly overpriced here, and now it cost less, and the Mazda is pretty darn reasonable... Lol

Oh, yeah! I remember how much crap Mongo took over his "$36,000 ripoff!" and here is the cx5 going for 40, and its all good in the 'hood!

Back