Intro and Quick Qs on 2010 Sport

Spacevan

:
2010 Sport
Hello all,

New member, probably soon to be owner of a 2010 5 spd. Absolute "stripper" model, as far as I can tell. Questions:

Was the manual transmission available with a sunroof, generally? Or would that be a special / rare combination of options? Car doesn't have a sunroof, wondering how long I'd be looking to find one with a manual trans.

The car has a remote lock / unlock fob, but I do not believe there is an anti theft transmitter (a fob that needs to be present to start car), correct? In other words, I can get a key cut at any hardware store?

Thanks. Believe it or not I've never owned a car newer than mid-90s (daily an '87) and prefer to keep things as basic and foolproof as possible.

EDIT - adding to my "immobilizer" Q, the VIN check does state "Engine immobilizer anti-theft system." Is this a giant PITA?

(in other news, I'm always baffled by this stuff. Is there anywhere in the US that vehicle theft of anything that's not a sportscar or a Honda Civic that prevalent? I don't even lock my doors. If I need to leave my car for a week on city streets I just pull the fuel pump fuse.)

And one more question, reading the owners manual it says not to push start it. I assume this is just a liability thing and this car is no different in that regard than any other?

Thanks again.

EDIT - just found the 235 page long thread on key fobs. What a nightmare. I can start my current DD with a nail file.

Last edited:
^^^Didn*t know that moonroof was standard on Touring

For the 12+ when I bought mine new, moonroof was only standArd on GT trims

Thanks folks! Pulled the trigger.

2010 Sport, manual trans. One owner, less than 45K on the odometer, two keys (thank God) and four Blizzaks on steelies in the trunk. Been looking on and off for one for awhile, with a second kid on the way early next year, but I specifically wanted the end of the first gen and a manual, so when one showed up at a non-Mazda dealership 10 miles from my house I jumped on it. I might have been able to wait and find one on Craigslist or something 200 miles away for a better deal, but these guys picked me up and I got this one the road (tax, title and reg) for four figures so I'm happy enough. As they say in the collector car world, "you didn't pay too much, you just bought too early."

Haven't done more than 20 miles, but first thoughts (for reference, my other cars are '87 Japanese truck, '87 euro hatch, '95 Jag, all manual, all cables and very little "drive by wire", all with at least 100K more miles on them):

- very nice shifter action, nicer than any of my other vehicles (that are all pretty truck-like, even (especially) the Jag). However, a little "notchy" getting into fifth. Anyone else have that?

- very light clutch, and very sensitive throttle. More than once I over-revved taking off, dumped the clutch and spun the tires. Got more used to in after the first couple goes, but still, very little resistance or feedback from these two pedals. Can't imagine driving in heavy boots.

- steering is weird. I don't like it. It's very non-linear or something. Unpredictable in a way. I'm not sure if there's any adjustments there. Anyone else?

- visibility is surprisingly good for a modern vehicle. Nice greenhouse. Obviously great carrying capacity (people and cargo, maybe just not at the same time), but you all know all about that. I hate the way modern cars have the sills so high you can't barely rest an arm out the window. I want TR3 doors.

- at 6'1" I just barely fit, and would like a bit more rear travel in the seat. But I can live with it.

- overall pretty sporty, in it's own way (for a van). Doesn't feel overly "heavy" and pulls pretty good near red-line. I can also tell it'd be a bit more sluggish with four adults and a couple hundred pounds of stuff though.

- lots of folks complain about noise and such, but it's all relative. From where I"m coming from it's just fine, had it up to about 90 this morning, about 4K? in fifth, and you could hear it but you'd want to.

- almost got blown over by a gust of wind on a bridge, wow!

Anyway, pretty happy with the purchase, and the wife is happy as well (most importantly!). Van feels very European to me, in a way. I've driven older diesel manual micro vans around the continent. I like the small size and maneuverability.

Winter projects will be tint, maybe some aux lights, maybe some summer tires with a bit more sidewall, and a roof rack. Hope to keep the rust away and drive this thing for the next 20 years / 200K.

Been reading through some threads and some "how-tos" and whatnot on here, very good resource, thanks to all who contribute.

Zoom zoom!

Last edited:
Cheers for that, Ill try and find that picture.

The traction control was on, in sport mode. There was a small crest of a hill in the corner which was enough to upset the bike.

I read somewhere that push starting a car can dump fuel into the catalytic converter and ruin it

Doubtful. Sure, the first bit of rotation of the engine might suck in and expel a cylinder of un-ignited air/gas mixture...but that's not enough to hurt anything. I might even go so far as to say that it's impossible to get unburnt fuel to the cat since the whole thing is computer controlled. The computer has to sense that the crank is turning first before firing the injector and spark plug.

I've already done it with the 2010 and she fires right up immediately with a little wheel chirp.

I'm guessing that they don't like how the cv joint probably gets brutalized....so I wouldn't do it often. On a push start you are asking the road to overcome the friction of the drive train...and the weakest links are probably the CV joints.

-Mike

Back