Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Super dissatisfied with the CX-9 2.5 Turbo

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Felt_Rider View Post
    It will be interesting how it plays out. The one thing that impresses me with the German and Italian cars is the amount of performance built into cars and then seemed to be tuned down on the lower trims so they do not outshine the expensive trims. For instance a coworker flashed the DSG tune on his GTI last week on a Cobb AccessPort. His 17 GTI SE was out the door at $24K (added $3K with Cobb AccessPort 91 and DSG, lowered, down pipe, air intake) and if it were not for tire slip it would be performing at the $40K Golf R level. He says the DSG tune eliminated some of the gripes that people have about dual clutch and it now shifts in regular drive mode about as well as it does in manual mode using the paddle shifters (manual mode is even more aggressive). His GTI is dyno'd over 300 whp and is in the low 5 second 0-60 range. If it were not for tire slip 1st/2nd gears he would be low 4 probably. Several have mentioned the AR Stelvio and it also has a lower trim at $42K, but I bet for cheap one can really raise the performance of that base model with tuning and not spend the $80K on the upper level beast.

But as I think you noted on the 2019 thread Mazda will likely be limited by the transmission, whereas, the dual clutch on some of the European cars can be tuned as well. What I find interesting is Hyundai / Kia brought on German engineers to add performance to their line up. I know it is early, but it shows that this Korean car company ain't messing around and have intentions to have some cars in the future that will be in line with the European performance cars. The Stinger, Veloster and Genesis is probably just a very early glimpse.

Again it is just casual car news conversation in my post, but I do like how European base models can be easily/cheaply modded as they seem to have tuned down performance on the lower trims.
    I disagree. You may get the horsepower numbers, but will it last? Is it as refined? Does the rest of the car support that one singular achievement?

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I disagree. You may get the horsepower numbers, but will it last? Is it as refined? Does the rest of the car support that one singular achievement?
    No problem with your disagreement. Your opinion wouldn't change mine.
    What singular achievement?

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Felt_Rider View Post
    No problem with your disagreement. Your opinion wouldn't change mine.
    What singular achievement?
    Making it produce more horsepower.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
    I have a JB4 piggy back on the TT. It adds 45whp and about 60 torques. I bought the car used with a CPO 100k warranty so I*m not tuning it until 2022. APR would do about 40% better but I won*t void my warranty. Same holds with a turbo cx5, won*t risk the warranty.
    The Q3 is appealing because the same JB4 I use on the TT translates to the Audi. Magazines are guessing 6.3 to 60, the JB4 would be sub 6 seconds. When it needs to go to the dealer, I simply remove it and it leaves no trace.
    With the JB4, I can hang with manual Golf Rs and closely follow real TTS*s.
    Will you still test drive the CX-5 with the 2.5T? Or have you already written it off based on your experience with the CX-9? It sounds like you're heavily leaning towards the latter.

Registered Member

2016 ND, club, BBS

What you guys think of the Volvo xc40 t5? Seems close to the signature price wise with similar space, faster acceleration but less features?

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by jasong7131 View Post
    What you guys think of the Volvo xc40 t5? Seems close to the signature price wise with similar space, faster acceleration but less features?
    It is not bad and made right here in the USA (I think it is in the Volvo Charleston location). A base T5 with heated seats and the premium package that you need to select to get power front seats and keyless entry and the vision package to get blind spot monitoring is only ~40K, which is not bad in my mind. Good option to the CX-5 signature.
    Last edited by dougal; 11-07-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Registered Member

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    It is not bad and made right here in the USA (I think it is in the Volvo Charleston location). A base T5 with heated seats and the premium package that you need to select to get power front seats and keyless entry and the vision package to get blind spot monitoring is only ~40K, which is not bad in my mind. Good option to the CX-5 signature.
    Went through this before...

No, it is not made in Charleston, SC. It is made in Belgium.

The only car currently made in Charleston is the S60, and once the new line is added in the next couple of years, the XC90 will also be built there...Keep me busy why don*t ya...

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech, E84 valencia x1 sdrive msport

Quote Originally Posted by jasong7131 View Post
    They do unquestionably make the best std seats in the business but..

Well, once we exited the expressway for twisty, turny roads, we found a few things. If the Jaguar is the playful one, the Volvo is the befuddled one. Asked to exert itself beyond a casual pace, the XC40 reveals its uncoordinated nature. The steering system, which feels fine at high speeds, is massively overboosted at slower ones. It*s easy to lose touch with the goings-on of the front tires. And what*s going on with the front tires, all too often, is that they are losing purchase on the pavement. The Volvo actually develops more grip than the Jaguar, wearing the same model and size of tire, but it can*t match the Brit*s balance. The XC40*s front end just gives up in a way that the Jag*s doesn*t.

The Volvo*s power delivery is also the least linear of the three, surging and receding slightly out of step with throttle-pedal inputs. And that engine, which allows the XC40 to run neck and neck with the BMW all the way up to 120 mph, doesn*t actually sound like an engine at all. Instead, it emits a series of whooshing noises and horse farts.

^^That's me being lazy and quoting C&D but its pretty much how I've felt about most modern Volvos I've driven- really nice interiors and seats but they just don't get me...well the old S60R pretty much did but..
    Last edited by Monterra; 11-07-2018 at 07:45 PM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTMFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- change averse much?
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- good times- newfound respect for term mid-engined oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one until gremlins came
    +nice house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence?
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not so boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Its got 4drs, I like it, fast enough and it still does donuts, e-steering won't let me love it

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    They do unquestionably make the best std seats in the business but..

Well, once we exited the expressway for twisty, turny roads, we found a few things. If the Jaguar is the playful one, the Volvo is the befuddled one. Asked to exert itself beyond a casual pace, the XC40 reveals its uncoordinated nature. The steering system, which feels fine at high speeds, is massively overboosted at slower ones. It*s easy to lose touch with the goings-on of the front tires. And what*s going on with the front tires, all too often, is that they are losing purchase on the pavement. The Volvo actually develops more grip than the Jaguar, wearing the same model and size of tire, but it can*t match the Brit*s balance. The XC40*s front end just gives up in a way that the Jag*s doesn*t.

The Volvo*s power delivery is also the least linear of the three, surging and receding slightly out of step with throttle-pedal inputs. And that engine, which allows the XC40 to run neck and neck with the BMW all the way up to 120 mph, doesn*t actually sound like an engine at all. Instead, it emits a series of whooshing noises and horse farts.

^^That's me being lazy and quoting C&D but its pretty much how I've felt about most modern Volvos I've driven- really nice interiors and seats but they just don't get me...well the old S60R pretty much did but..
    Yeah, but it has a better 0-60 time, so it must be better than the 2.5T CX-5.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech, E84 valencia x1 sdrive msport

Yep..and here's another reason (at least for me)..23mpg observed- sure they run em hard but still 2 less than bmw and holds almost 2 less gallons to boot @14.3..
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    My wife likes the Volvo. I'd still prefer the Mazda irrespective of price. Some of the Volvo interface is wacky. It is a nice machine though

I like the Volvo but annoyed it doesn't have standard BSM. I think any car brand that want to be considered lux should have at least that as standard equipment.

Registered Member

2018 CX5

But if you look at reliability the Volvo's are at the bottom of the list and Mazda is at the top. As a matter of fact in the latest Consumer Reports ranking of the overall most reliable car makers it goes Lexus-->Toyota-->Mazda. At the end of the list--Volvo!

Registered Member

CX-5

Volvo's new designs are some of the best on the market right now, but the value just isn't there. it's a subcompact with less rear legroom than a Civic, and once you add a few options you are already in RDX territory. There is also no option for ventilated seats for some reason.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by CX5Nut View Post
    But if you look at reliability the Volvo's are at the bottom of the list and Mazda is at the top. As a matter of fact in the latest Consumer Reports ranking of the overall most reliable car makers it goes Lexus-->Toyota-->Mazda. At the end of the list--Volvo!
    Regarding the new joint Toyota/Mazda plant in the US. Anyone know what Mazda models they would be producing?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast