Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Super dissatisfied with the CX-9 2.5 Turbo

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech, E84 valencia x1 sdrive msport

I love my 14 GTs seats, wouldn't buy a VW/Audi product with someone else's money and yes under 36 for AWD GTR- 38 is for signature- but hey different strokes- 42+ for a nicely equipped Q3..pass- nice TT tho- but I'd still take a manual (yes significantly slower) BRZ and buy half a new CX-5 w/the savings...again diff strokes.
    Last edited by Monterra; 11-06-2018 at 06:39 PM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTMFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- change averse much?
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- good times- newfound respect for term mid-engined oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one until gremlins came
    +nice house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence?
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not so boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Its got 4drs, I like it, fast enough and it still does donuts, e-steering won't let me love it

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
    Where these small 4 cyl turbos fail is waiting for the turbo to spool on a track mid corner exit.... The numbers don*t mean anything to me. How the turbo does it*s thing is what is important.
    This is the key for me with turbos. Lag ruins the driving experience, no matter how you drive it. The numbers mean plenty to me, but they're not everything.

No point speculating about it. We've got to drive it.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Hey, I love Mazda, more importantly my wife loves her CX5. I daily drive a 17 TT with a DSG transmission and the GTI engine.
    I mention this because I clearly understand what I need out of a small turbo 4. Where these small 4 cyl turbos fail is waiting for the turbo to spool on a track mid corner exit. Where these turbos are GREAT FUN on the street is when you keep it in boost and hammer launches. The 9 is tuned for grandmas, it should be a recipe for great street fun but is neutered into smooth delivery. I get why they did it and I absolutely hate it. The numbers don*t mean anything to me. How the turbo does it*s thing is what is important.
    You want a 7 seat family SUV to hammer launches? The 2.5T in the Mazda 6 and CX-9 has no discernible turbo lag. Just smooth power. Too smooth for some but that is what it has. It will feel pretty similar in the CX-5.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT; 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF/GT/LE

Without getting into the nitty-gritty; I've owned several turbo cars over the years, including a '16 CX-9 with the 2.5 turbo.

I liked the CX-9s power delivery enough that I'm voting with my wallet.
    I've reserved one of the first CX-5 Signatures scheduled to arrive at my dealership the first week in December.
    2017 Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 GT/Premium
    2017 Machine Gray Metallic MX-5-RF GT/MT, Launch Edition
    23 Mazdas since 1974

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Just like with the Audi/VW products, there is tuning available for the 2.5 turbos as well.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Iím sticking with my QX70 as long as I can. Then itís Stelvio time. Woot woot!

Registered Member

ss

So we have a 14 GT and with the exception of the front seat comfort (bad), we dig the car. I looked forward to swapping it with the new turbo next year so I drove the cx9 signature. Now I understand the 9 is heavier but the new turbo is a real pig. I read sketchy reviews of the new cx5 turbo being unexciting and I concur. Iíll be looking at the new Q3 (228hp/258tq) instead for a few grand more. With a JB4 piggy back, it should be very GTI like (good).
    Rick

You should have posted this in the CX-9 forum. And where are the driver "reviews" for the CX-5 w/turbo?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    I*m sticking with my QX70 as long as I can. Then it*s Stelvio time. Woot woot!
    I got no issues w/that choice suds buddy..visibility was about my only gripe (ok dash quality/layout not great but the way that thing drives- who cares) Well also a bit a reliability fear not gonna lie..and dlr ain't close!
    Last edited by Monterra; 11-06-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    I got no issues w/that choice suds buddy..visibility was about my only gripe (ok dash quality/layout not great but the way that thing drives- who cares) Well also a bit a reliability fear not gonna lie..and dlr ain't close!
    Ideally this will be in about 7 years. I expect them to have the quality issues resolved and for the interior to be upgraded from some of the cheapness thatís been noted.

All of this is providing theyíre still being sold in the US. Closest dealer is about a 30 mile drive from me right now.

Registered Member

Cool- hey I'm pulling for them truly engaging and fun to drive vehicles- all of them even in base form..sport pkg is baked in which is exceedingly rare in mainstream-ish options today.
    If they offered a RWD manual Giulia I don't think I could possibly resist it..
    Last edited by Monterra; 11-06-2018 at 10:01 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Ideally this will be in about 7 years. I expect them to have the quality issues resolved and for the interior to be upgraded from some of the cheapness that*s been noted.

All of this is providing they*re still being sold in the US. Closest dealer is about a 30 mile drive from me right now.

Alfa has not sorted their quality issues in the last 70 years!

Registered Member

14 Liquid GT awd / 09 Liquid NC2

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Beautiful car.

Hope the new Q3 fills your boots. Spend more to get what you want, nothing wrong with that. With that said, since you mentioned a JB4 piggyback with the Q3, would you have considered the CX-5 with an aftermarket tune?
    I have a JB4 piggy back on the TT. It adds 45whp and about 60 torques. I bought the car used with a CPO 100k warranty so I*m not tuning it until 2022. APR would do about 40% better but I won*t void my warranty. Same holds with a turbo cx5, won*t risk the warranty.
    The Q3 is appealing because the same JB4 I use on the TT translates to the Audi. Magazines are guessing 6.3 to 60, the JB4 would be sub 6 seconds. When it needs to go to the dealer, I simply remove it and it leaves no trace.
    With the JB4, I can hang with manual Golf Rs and closely follow real TTS*s.
    Last edited by ourlee; 11-06-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Registered Member

14 Liquid GT awd / 09 Liquid NC2

I*m sticking with my QX70 as long as I can. Then it*s Stelvio time. Woot woot!
    Drove the Stelio small turbo version. This is a GREAT example of what*s possible in an affordable 4 banger turbo. It*s a blast.
    Oh, these are selling for $10k off (leftovers)
    Last edited by ourlee; 11-10-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by gdluke View Post
    Lol, I think people are expecting for the turbo to blow the doors off things. But I don't imagine it will at all, I mean it's a crossover we all drive not a miata. It's too heavy for a 4 cylinder turbo to smoke tires off the line with it. And it seems like Mazda builds them for fuel economy not for smoking tires. I do think the turbo will make the CX-5 a much more viable option for towing a travel trailer, since turbos drastically boost torque. But as far as speed is concerned, well I just don't see much breakaway speed will be added.
    My 4 cylinder non-turbo would light 'em up if it were the Fail Wheel Drive model. I think it's pathetic if the CX5T won't see low 6-second to 60 times. Absolute trash, that.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Just like with the Audi/VW products, there is tuning available for the 2.5 turbos as well.
    It will be interesting how it plays out. The one thing that impresses me with the German and Italian cars is the amount of performance built into cars and then seemed to be tuned down on the lower trims so they do not outshine the expensive trims. For instance a coworker flashed the DSG tune on his GTI last week on a Cobb AccessPort. His 17 GTI SE was out the door at $24K (added $3K with Cobb AccessPort 91 and DSG, lowered, down pipe, air intake) and if it were not for tire slip it would be performing at the $40K Golf R level. He says the DSG tune eliminated some of the gripes that people have about dual clutch and it now shifts in regular drive mode about as well as it does in manual mode using the paddle shifters (manual mode is even more aggressive). His GTI is dyno'd over 300 whp and is in the low 5 second 0-60 range. If it were not for tire slip 1st/2nd gears he would be low 4 probably. Several have mentioned the AR Stelvio and it also has a lower trim at $42K, but I bet for cheap one can really raise the performance of that base model with tuning and not spend the $80K on the upper level beast.

But as I think you noted on the 2019 thread Mazda will likely be limited by the transmission, whereas, the dual clutch on some of the European cars can be tuned as well. What I find interesting is Hyundai / Kia brought on German engineers to add performance to their line up. I know it is early, but it shows that this Korean car company ain't messing around and have intentions to have some cars in the future that will be in line with the European performance cars. The Stinger, Veloster and Genesis is probably just a very early glimpse.

Again it is just casual car news conversation in my post, but I do like how European base models can be easily/cheaply modded as they seem to have tuned down performance on the lower trims.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast