Super dissatisfied with the CX-9 2.5 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not bad and made right here in the USA (I think it is in the Volvo Charleston location). A base T5 with heated seats and the premium package that you need to select to get power front seats and keyless entry and the vision package to get blind spot monitoring is only ~40K, which is not bad in my mind. Good option to the CX-5 signature.

My wife likes the Volvo. I'd still prefer the Mazda irrespective of price. Some of the Volvo interface is wacky. It is a nice machine though

I like the Volvo but annoyed it doesn't have standard BSM. I think any car brand that want to be considered lux should have at least that as standard equipment.

But if you look at reliability the Volvo's are at the bottom of the list and Mazda is at the top. As a matter of fact in the latest Consumer Reports ranking of the overall most reliable car makers it goes Lexus-->Toyota-->Mazda. At the end of the list--Volvo!

Volvo's new designs are some of the best on the market right now, but the value just isn't there. it's a subcompact with less rear legroom than a Civic, and once you add a few options you are already in RDX territory. There is also no option for ventilated seats for some reason.

But if you look at reliability the Volvo's are at the bottom of the list and Mazda is at the top. As a matter of fact in the latest Consumer Reports ranking of the overall most reliable car makers it goes Lexus-->Toyota-->Mazda. At the end of the list--Volvo!

Regarding the new joint Toyota/Mazda plant in the US. Anyone know what Mazda models they would be producing?

My biggest disappoint with 2.5T is no availability in Sport / Touring/GT Trim. A sub 28K 2.5T would sell even with less bells n whistles. Yes it won't make much margins but it draws people to Mazda - 2.5T is already certified just put it in GT and sell it at 33K and in Touring at 30K. A extra 5-10K 2.5Ts per year is good.

The turbo CX5 hasn't been released yet make me wonder if there is a problem, or possibly Mazda is rethinking the the lineup and pricing. Ed

My biggest disappoint with 2.5T is no availability in Sport / Touring/GT Trim. A sub 28K 2.5T would sell even with less bells n whistles. Yes it won't make much margins but it draws people to Mazda - 2.5T is already certified just put it in GT and sell it at 33K and in Touring at 30K. A extra 5-10K 2.5Ts per year is good.

In 2020 the 2.5T will trickle down one or two lines. It's the regular strategy.

I agree, but I suspect it'll trickle down. Think of when the 2.5L came out, it was only available on Touring and GT trims at first. Sport stayed 2.0L. Then 2.0L was only on the manual which was only on the Sport. Now in Gen 2, they dropped 2.0L from the CX-5 lineup in USA altogether.

But I agree. At that price, no sale Mazda. I spent $25.5k on my CX-5 which wasn't even considered a great deal (but was what you could do in the area at the time). Approaching $40k is not my idea of a good time.

Last edited:
I always wondered why they made the 2.5T standard across all trims in the CX-9, but limited it to "higher" trims for the 6 and now the CX-5. I suppose it's because the 9 is heavier and needs it, while the 6 and CX-5 can get by just fine without the turbo.

Never knew the Sky X was a mild hybrid. Well that's good news - maybe 2021 CX-5 will get a mild hybrid with SkyX and 2.5T. Still amazes how much Mazda will sell the 2.5L - it will be carried in 2019 Mazda 3 too.

The turbo CX5 hasn't been released yet make me wonder if there is a problem, or possibly Mazda is rethinking the the lineup and pricing. Ed

Nah, I bet it drops fine. Could be wrong, but I just don't see it since they are legit taking pre-orders and stuff.

In 2020 the 2.5T will trickle down one or two lines. It's the regular strategy.

Yep, it will be the method by which Mazda squeaks a year or two more out of the platform. Put the high-end options in the low-end models. Many manufacturers do that.

Regarding the new joint Toyota/Mazda plant in the US. Anyone know what Mazda models they would be producing?

The rumor is a new SUV model sized in between the CX-5 and CX-9. Kind of like how a Ford Edge sits between an Escape and an Explorer.

Supposedly specifically made for the US market.

The rumor is a new SUV model sized in between the CX-5 and CX-9. Kind of like how a Ford Edge sits between an Escape and an Explorer.

Supposedly specifically made for the US market.

So a CX-7?

Why would you think that? There is this big auto show coming up where it is going to be released, along with the new Mazda 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back