Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Consumer Reports Headlights rating 2/5 for 2016+ CX-9

My Way IS the Highway

2018 CX-9 Signature Silver & 2007 CX-7 GT AWD Liq Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by iosian View Post
    The FMVSS 108 regulations ask the beam aiming at 0.6 degrees below horizontal and only allow small amount of luminous intensity above horizontal. In such restrictions the only way to make the illuminating distance further is to mount the lamp higher. CR and IIHS are basically encouraging people to blind to other no matter what.
    Another facet of all this that has not be addressed from a regulatory perspective (as far as I know) is with respect to the changes is headlamp technology, specifically as bulbs have changed over time from traditional incandescent, to halogen, to xenon. Most noticeable was with stark color of xenon bulbs. This is actually based in the science of the "color" of the light. Xenon bulbs were not necessarily brighter than others, but the different colors of the xenon spectrum is what drivers perceived as better lighting, but oncoming drivers perceived as glare.

At least LEDs can be "tuned" to specific colors from cool to warm, which is a big benefit for different applications, but it is likely that regulatory guidelines are far behind the advances in headlamp technology.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by singlemalt_18 View Post
    Another facet of all this that has not be addressed from a regulatory perspective (as far as I know) is with respect to the changes is headlamp technology, specifically as bulbs have changed over time from traditional incandescent, to halogen, to xenon. Most noticeable was with stark color of xenon bulbs. This is actually based in the science of the "color" of the light. Xenon bulbs were not necessarily brighter than others, but the different colors of the xenon spectrum is what drivers perceived as better lighting, but oncoming drivers perceived as glare.

At least LEDs can be "tuned" to specific colors from cool to warm, which is a big benefit for different applications, but it is likely that regulatory guidelines are far behind the advances in headlamp technology.
    Very true. This is why BMW, Mercedes, Audi, even Mazda do not offer "full-function" adaptive LED headlights in North America. I'm not sure if NA vehicles are equipped with headlights stripped of the adaptive LEDs or if they have the same part numbers as the headlights in Saudi Arabia vehicles as shown below. But if they are the same part number, the function just isn't programmed in or is disabled to comply with regulation.

Montana/Arizona

2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT

So are there 2 versions of the "adaptive" led headlights? It looks like the adaptive part in this video is different than the auto dimming feature we have in the USA. Or is it one in the same?

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

I'm 66 and recognize that my eyes aren't what they used to be. That said, I'm very happy with the headlights on my 2018 CX-9 Signature. I've driven the car in rain and snow, on highways and on dark, winding country roads, and I've never felt that the lights limited the other capabilities of the car (or driver). My previous car was a Mini Countryman S All4, and having xenons on that car was an absolute requirement for me. I always felt safe with them, and I feel that my CX-9's LEDs are even better.
    As others have said, there may be better lighting systems out there, but the CX-9 LEDs are perfectly fine in my book. The bottom line is that I've never found myself saying "I wish these lights were better..."

Registered Member

Mazda CX9 2013

My '13 CX9 is horrid... low beam visible cutoff line is only about 30 or 35 feet out front. Don't know if it's misadjusted or if that's a factory setting. Both sides have been replaced because of deer hits so I'm assuming the repair facility set them to specs. Looking for way to adjust them up maybe. Hi beams seem to be just fine. I live "way" out in the country and prefer a better sight line.
    Last edited by notrod; 01-17-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2015

Replaced my stock Xenon Osram Nightbreakers with Nightbreaker Lasers...results are more than satisfying!
    The 2nd gen though got LEDs which makes aftermarket replacements impossible.

Registered Member

'11 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD

you probably know this but the previous generation cx-9 headlights can be moved down for instances where you are towing.

at least my '11 with the HID lights have this option. maybe yours got moved down at some point?

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...for-headlights

Quote Originally Posted by notrod View Post
    My '13 CX9 is horrid... low beam visible cutoff line is only about 30 or 35 feet out front. Don't know if it's misadjusted or if that's a factory setting. Both sides have been replaced because of deer hits so I'm assuming the repair facility set them to specs. Looking for way to adjust them up maybe. Hi beams seem to be just fine. I live "way" out in the country and prefer a better sight line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12