Consumer Reports Headlights rating 2/5 for 2016+ CX-9

"In a rare move, Mazda made LED headlights standard on the CX-9. The lights are very bright, but only illuminate a modest distance, limiting a drivers ability to see and react to whatever is on the road ahead."
Is this true? Your thoughts? Thx much for your inputs in advance.

Ive got a 2016 cx9. Perhaps other LED headlights have better light throw and illumination, but Ive never come an issue where I felt that the LED were preventing me from seeing objects on or near the road. Even on back roads where there is no lighting I never felt under-illuminated.

But thats just me. Others may have a different take.

Here's what they had to say about the Protege5 headlights back in 2002

Consumer Reports said:
We compared 31 cars and trucks with halogen lights and 10 with HIDs, measuring their ability to ligh the road ahead and along the sides as well as checking them for glare.

Six out of 10 vehicles with HIDs and 9 out of 31 with halogens reached the 400-foot marker on our test course with low beams, compared with an average of 335 feet for all models tested.

The farthest so far: the inexpensive, halogen-equipped MAZDA PROTEGE5 Its low beams illuminated our 600-foot marker without creating a glare problem.

Both types of lights produce our worst performers. The HID equipped Audi TT's low beams lit only to our 200-foot marker, while the halogen-equippped Chrysler Sebring and Pontiac Grand Prix provided weak, nonuniform light.

"In a rare move, Mazda made LED headlights standard on the CX-9. The lights are very bright, but only illuminate a modest distance, limiting a drivers ability to see and react to whatever is on the road ahead."

Lines up with the IIHS study, which ranked it "Acceptable" for models effective Jan 2018 in order to get a top pick label. Seems like Mazda made a correction somewhere: https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-9-4-door-suv/2018

However, in my experience with a late 2017 Model, the performance has been good, especially when you consider the adaptive and auto dimming capabilities.

Never had an issue with the headlights on my '17 CX-9 Signature.
Range is good, brightness is good and they follow curves well too.

The fog lights are a joke though.

"In a rare move, Mazda made LED headlights standard on the CX-9. The lights are very bright, but only illuminate a modest distance, limiting a driver*s ability to see and react to whatever is on the road ahead."

I feel like that's not that much different from the HIDs on my '12.

I came out of a Honda Pilot with a set of aftermarket HID low beams and LED highs. Those lights were noticeably brighter, but their throw was far greater.

Practically speaking, the lights on mine are more than adequate.

But - they get a ton of points for turning with the car to illuminate where you are going instead of the side of the road.

Here's what they had to say about the Protege5 headlights back in 2002

i had a 2002 Protege5 bought new. it had great headlights; with just the low beams i would get flashed from on-coming traffic occasionally.

our 2011 CX-9 HID headlights are great.

i have the optional LED headlights on my 2017 Ford Fusion, they look great cosmetically but functionally i feel they are just so-so.

Last edited:
LED headlights performed just fine for me on the highways and at night. Definitely not the absolute best out there, but I would say they perform just as good as the AFS-enabled HID projectors with aftermarket Philips bulbs on my old IS250.

Semi-unrelated tidbit I just found in the Owner's Manual:

"The LED bulb cannot be replaced as a single unit because it is an integrated unit.

The LED bulb has to be replaced with the unit. We recommend an Authorized Mazda Dealer when the replacement is necessary."

When I was under the hood, it looked like the headlight bulbs could be replaced just like a halogen/HID bulb could. Replacing an entire headlight assembly when just the bulb goes out is a little concerning to me. Seems like such a waste. I might have to pop the hood again and take a closer look.

Last edited:
LED headlights performed just fine for me on the highways and at night. Definitely not the absolute best out there, but I would say they perform just as good as the AFS-enabled HID projectors with aftermarket Philips bulbs on my old IS250.

Semi-unrelated tidbit I just found in the Owner's Manual:

"The LED bulb cannot be replaced as a single unit because it is an integrated unit.

The LED bulb has to be replaced with the unit. We recommend an Authorized Mazda Dealer when the replacement is necessary."

When I was under the hood, it looked like the headlight bulbs could be replaced just like a halogen/HID bulb could. Replacing an entire headlight assembly when just the bulb goes out is a little concerning to me. Seems like such a waste. I might have to pop the hood again and take a closer look.

Oh HELLL NO ! Manual wants you to replace the whole head unit if 1 bulb goes out ? w'red screwed

Time to turn off Auto mode to preserve some life on it.

Last edited:
Oh HELLL NO ! Manual wants you to replace the whole head unit if 1 bulb goes out ? w'red screwed

Time to turn off Auto mode to preserve some life on it.

Screwed...? you mean like an old light bulb! That reminds me... did you hear the one about "How many certified Mazda technicians does it take to change one of these?"

These LEDs are not "your Grandfather's" incandescent filaments... you can probably leave Auto Mode on.

FTR - I don't know what the CR headlight fuss is all about; I really like my 2018's headlights, hi-beams, auto functions, and especially like the adaptive "split-eyeball" FOV.

I*ve noticed that most models aren*t getting good ratings for headlights. It is a new test and the manufacturers will adjust over time to get good ratings. Look up XC90 or Q7 and you*ll notice the same.

The FMVSS 108 regulations ask the beam aiming at 0.6 degrees below horizontal and only allow small amount of luminous intensity above horizontal. In such restrictions the only way to make the illuminating distance further is to mount the lamp higher. CR and IIHS are basically encouraging people to blind to other no matter what.

I just hope the daytime running lights are better in the CX-9 than the previous ten CX-5. Many of those quit early including mine. Both full headlight assemblies had to be replaced ( Under warranty thank God) and the ticket was $2200.00. Not cheap. So what is the big advantage to sealed LED lamps as opposed to the halogens? I figured it was life-span but apparently not.

The FMVSS 108 regulations ask the beam aiming at 0.6 degrees below horizontal and only allow small amount of luminous intensity above horizontal. In such restrictions the only way to make the illuminating distance further is to mount the lamp higher. CR and IIHS are basically encouraging people to blind to other no matter what.

Another facet of all this that has not be addressed from a regulatory perspective (as far as I know) is with respect to the changes is headlamp technology, specifically as bulbs have changed over time from traditional incandescent, to halogen, to xenon. Most noticeable was with stark color of xenon bulbs. This is actually based in the science of the "color" of the light. Xenon bulbs were not necessarily brighter than others, but the different colors of the xenon spectrum is what drivers perceived as better lighting, but oncoming drivers perceived as glare.

At least LEDs can be "tuned" to specific colors from cool to warm, which is a big benefit for different applications, but it is likely that regulatory guidelines are far behind the advances in headlamp technology.

Another facet of all this that has not be addressed from a regulatory perspective (as far as I know) is with respect to the changes is headlamp technology, specifically as bulbs have changed over time from traditional incandescent, to halogen, to xenon. Most noticeable was with stark color of xenon bulbs. This is actually based in the science of the "color" of the light. Xenon bulbs were not necessarily brighter than others, but the different colors of the xenon spectrum is what drivers perceived as better lighting, but oncoming drivers perceived as glare.

At least LEDs can be "tuned" to specific colors from cool to warm, which is a big benefit for different applications, but it is likely that regulatory guidelines are far behind the advances in headlamp technology.

Very true. This is why BMW, Mercedes, Audi, even Mazda do not offer "full-function" adaptive LED headlights in North America. I'm not sure if NA vehicles are equipped with headlights stripped of the adaptive LEDs or if they have the same part numbers as the headlights in Saudi Arabia vehicles as shown below. But if they are the same part number, the function just isn't programmed in or is disabled to comply with regulation.

Last edited:
So are there 2 versions of the "adaptive" led headlights? It looks like the adaptive part in this video is different than the auto dimming feature we have in the USA. Or is it one in the same?

I'm 66 and recognize that my eyes aren't what they used to be. That said, I'm very happy with the headlights on my 2018 CX-9 Signature. I've driven the car in rain and snow, on highways and on dark, winding country roads, and I've never felt that the lights limited the other capabilities of the car (or driver). My previous car was a Mini Countryman S All4, and having xenons on that car was an absolute requirement for me. I always felt safe with them, and I feel that my CX-9's LEDs are even better.
As others have said, there may be better lighting systems out there, but the CX-9 LEDs are perfectly fine in my book. The bottom line is that I've never found myself saying "I wish these lights were better..."

My '13 CX9 is horrid... low beam visible cutoff line is only about 30 or 35 feet out front. Don't know if it's misadjusted or if that's a factory setting. Both sides have been replaced because of deer hits so I'm assuming the repair facility set them to specs. Looking for way to adjust them up maybe. Hi beams seem to be just fine. I live "way" out in the country and prefer a better sight line.

Last edited:
Back