Passenger Airbag Light Staying On

:
2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE
Anybody ever have the bright yellow passenger airbag light stay on?

Driving down the road I heard a distinctive chime and didn't think anything of it.

Then, a short while later, I noticed that the passenger airbag light was on. It's located in a dark strip just above the climate controls.

Manual says if it stays on, take it in. Going to the dealer in the morning.

Why does this stuff happen right before a long trip?

Anybody ever have the bright yellow passenger airbag light stay on?

Driving down the road I heard a distinctive chime and didn't think anything of it.

Then, a short while later, I noticed that the passenger airbag light was on. It's located in a dark strip just above the climate controls.

Manual says if it stays on, take it in. Going to the dealer in the morning.

Why does this stuff happen right before a long trip?

Isn't that the best time compared to being in the middle of one? Probably nothing serious... Good luck!

A common reason air bag warning lights come on is because something is interfering with the seat belt switch the sensor that detects if the belt is properly fastened

To me: Duh.

The airbag light stays on until someone sits in it.. which I suspected but the manual is not clear on this. The airbag light staying on was something I just never noticed.

My wife's Toyota Venza is the opposite. When in the passenger seat, the ABS light is activated.

The dimming and rebrightning of the Mazda ABS light is due to it adjusting to the fluctuation of natural light in the cabin. Ok then!

On a side note, one thing my dealer does that I like: they text a link to a "transparancy video" during service. (Perhaps this is old news to some of you)

It's a 30-60 sec video of the mechanic stating his name and a quick tour describing and showing the service being done (Oil drain, tire rotation etc) Me like!

Last edited:
To me: Duh.

The airbag light stays on until someone sits in it.. which I suspected but the manual is not clear on this. The airbag light staying on was something I just never noticed.

My wife's Toyota Venza is the opposite. When in the passenger seat, the ABS light is activated.

The dimming and rebrightning of the Mazda ABS light is due to it adjusting to the fluctuation of natural light in the cabin. Ok then!

On a side note, one thing my dealer does that I like: they text a link to a "transparancy video" during service. (Perhaps this is old news to some of you)

It's a 30-60 sec video of the mechanic stating his name and a quick tour describing and showing the service being done (Oil drain, tire rotation etc) Me like!
I feel your pain. I did that with a prior car--the key in that car, and here I suspect, is that the warning light was yellow, and not red.

Back