Paint flaking off dark GT wheels

Mine is '16, and its wheels had the problem of peeling off.
I was told by the service adviser that later ones are fine.
So, my guess is that you won't see issue on the '17.
He told me that the root cause was that the clear coat was not properly done.
Take it for what it's worth.

It seems like Mazda is very forgiving on this issue. Two local friends who have Mazda6 GT's just got their wheels replaced after I told them about my problem. One was a 2016 GT still in warranty and the other was a 2016 GT just out of warranty similar to mine. If one shows the issue, the others will follow. My dealer replaced all 4 no questions asked. I swear the new wheels are a shade ever so slightly lighter in color. Maybe that is why the dealer didn't hesitate to replace all 4. Even if I had a 2017 I'd look at the wheels very closely especially right before your warranty is up. Maybe all dealers are easy to work with on this issue, maybe not..........

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be taking the car in soon for a couple other warranty claims, maybe I'll throw the affected wheel (on summer tire) in the trunk and see what they say.

Usually if one wheel has this problem, all the rest have it also. Watch carefully.
In my case, all four. Different severity. Dealer replaced them all at no charge.

Usually if one wheel has this problem, all the rest have it also. Watch carefully.
In my case, all four. Different severity. Dealer replaced them all at no charge.

You got lucky with your dealer and the service and parts department warranting all 4 wheels. The dealership most likely did not get covered from MAZDA for all the parts and labor from that claim if they even submitted a claim. They may have done it as a customer courtesy to you? I notice you are from Northern CA I know most of the MAZDA dealership in the Sacramento and surround counties and cities where is your MAZDA dealership you used. They should get an HONORABLE MENTION. Many never report good things about DEALERSHIP experience on forums only the negative which leads many to assume all dealerships are bad. I have read in the last week or so a members on this forum making negative comments generalizing Dealerships mostly on IMHO what they read form past threads and responses from a few other members that had less then what they expected for customer service at a dealership? Yet when we read the independent surveys that are sent out both by the auto manufactures marketing firms to current and past customers they do not indicate the same information often reported on forums.

When I had mine off I found the manufacturing information on the back representing 2 different places of being manufactured. When you go to a MAZDA Dealer or order on line MAZDA you really don't get a choice what country the wheel is manufactured in. This means that the chances of more then a single wheel having cosmetic issues and it going to happen to the rest unless all the wheel where manufactured in the same country, same time index and plant it is not reasonable problem for all them to have the same problem.

Look at the back of your wheels for most all the information. Some of the inspection information can only be seen with the tire off the whee.

I might mention that MAZDA uses 3 and maybe 4 different countries to manufacture their wheels. Not all the countries had a quality control problem and MAZDA is not saying which country the possible quality control issue was a problem.

Last edited:
Bradshaw Mazda in Greenville, SC replaced all 4 with no delays' etc. They looked at my wheels and the service manager said he would call Mazda to check on replacement since I was 3 months out of warranty. One day later he had an answer (Yes). The very next week 4 new wheels were installed. I'm very happy with the dealer and Mazda.

You got lucky with your dealer and the service and parts department warranting all 4 wheels. The dealership most likely did not get covered from MAZDA for all the parts and labor from that claim if they even submitted a claim. They may have done it as a customer courtesy to you? I notice you are from Northern CA I know most of the MAZDA dealership in the Sacramento and surround counties and cities where is your MAZDA dealership you used. They should get an HONORABLE MENTION. Many never report good things about DEALERSHIP experience on forums only the negative which leads many to assume all dealerships are bad. I have read in the last week or so a members on this forum making negative comments generalizing Dealerships mostly on IMHO what they read form past threads and responses from a few other members that had less then what they expected for customer service at a dealership? Yet when we read the independent surveys that are sent out both by the auto manufactures marketing firms to current and past customers they do not indicate the same information often reported on forums.

When I had mine off I found the manufacturing information on the back representing 2 different places of being manufactured. When you go to a MAZDA Dealer or order on line MAZDA you really don't get a choice what country the wheel is manufactured in. This means that the chances of more then a single wheel having cosmetic issues and it going to happen to the rest unless all the wheel where manufactured in the same country, same time index and plant it is not reasonable problem for all them to have the same problem.

Look at the back of your wheels for most all the information. Some of the inspection information can only be seen with the tire off the whee.

Grendel,
I have been very satisfied with my local Mazda dealer.
(They also replaced the Q85 12V battery free of charge. It's 3.5yr old, out of warranty).
I cannot say anything nice about my local Toyota/Honda dealers. Owned several of their vehicles before.
My dealer is one of the reasons why I have 3 Mazdas in my house.
Might get a fourth soon.

In case you are wondering, it is one of the east bay dealers.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the paint/color code for the 2016 cx-5 gt wheels? Looking to touch up but cant seem to find it...

Back