Paint flaking off dark GT wheels

:
Mazda6 GT, MX5 PRHT
I read well over a year ago about how some GT owners with the dark wheels had paint flaking off them and Mazda warrantied them. I bought my 2016 GT on Aug 3, 2015. My wheels did not show this problem until just a week ago. (garage kept 33,600 mile car) I went to my local dealer and showed him the one wheel that was showing flaking in about 4 locations. He was well aware of the problem. I thought my other 3 wheels were fine but he found some really minor spots on them and said that is the start of the problem. Within 2 days he had an answer back from Mazda and they are replacing all 4 wheels even though I'm right at 3 months out of warranty time wise but under mileage wise. So, I'm a happy customer and my dealer has always treated me very well and kudos to Mazda for taking care of the issue. New wheels get installed Wednesday this week. I'd buy a new Maazda6 wagon tomorrow if they brought that model into the USA and I'd buy it from my local dealer.

Good to hear that Mazda took care of you! (drive)

Good to hear!

Is your local dealer J. Finger?

He retired and sold the dealership to Bradshaw. The Mazda dealerships in Easley and Anderson are no more so Bradshaw Mazda now has a lock on Mazda sales in the Greenville SC area. Vic Bailey Mazda is in Spartanburg and then you have to go up to Asheville, NC.

Yes. GT dark silver wheels.

OK. I have those on my GT.
I don't have a lot of miles on it yet, and so far the wheels look fine.
Winter is almost here and I just took them off this week and stored them for the winter. I installed snows that are mounted on 17" rims.
Quite a different ride BTW, but that's another subject.
Hopefully if my 19's don't see crappy weather, then they'll be OK.
Cheers.

OK. I have those on my GT.
I don't have a lot of miles on it yet, and so far the wheels look fine.
Winter is almost here and I just took them off this week and stored them for the winter. I installed snows that are mounted on 17" rims.
Quite a different ride BTW, but that's another subject.
Hopefully if my 19's don't see crappy weather, then they'll be OK.
Cheers.

My 2016 model was built in the summer of 2015. I'm not sure what model years were effected and when Mazda resolved the issue but there has been several people that got their wheels replaced. No telling how many people just ignored the issue on their car. I would certainly hope Mazda resolved the issue by 2017.

He retired and sold the dealership to Bradshaw. The Mazda dealerships in Easley and Anderson are no more so Bradshaw Mazda now has a lock on Mazda sales in the Greenville SC area. Vic Bailey Mazda is in Spartanburg and then you have to go up to Asheville, NC.

McKinney in Easley still exist. I knew Bradshaw had bought Finger. Still won*t be able to earn my business, though, but glad your troubles are settled...

McKinney in Easley still exist. I knew Bradshaw had bought Finger. Still won*t be able to earn my business, though, but glad your troubles are settled...

I know they are still there but last time I drive by there the front row of cars were all used cars and what new Mazdas they did have were behind those and some signage was no longer up. I asked Bradshaw and they told me they let the Mazda franchise end (maybe not true)?????

My 2016 model was built in the summer of 2015. I'm not sure what model years were effected and when Mazda resolved the issue but there has been several people that got their wheels replaced. No telling how many people just ignored the issue on their car. I would certainly hope Mazda resolved the issue by 2017.

Let's hope you are right on the 2017's.
When I bought my car last year, I brought this subject up with my sales rep, and he was up front about the problem.
He knew Mazda had an issue with the rims and didn't try to dodge the subject.
Honesty for a change.
Of course he assured me that if there was a problem down the line, that Mazda would take care of it.
I know he's supposed to say that, so we'll see what, if anything, happens.

Does anybody happen to have pics of what the flaking looks like? I just got my 2016 6 with the same rims, 3 out of the 4 are in excellent shape. But #4 has one area where both clearcoat and paint have come off. Not curb rash type damage, I'm hoping if anyone can show a sample of a warrantied wheel I'll have a better chance of making a claim.

Does anybody happen to have pics of what the flaking looks like? I just got my 2016 6 with the same rims, 3 out of the 4 are in excellent shape. But #4 has one area where both clearcoat and paint have come off. Not curb rash type damage, I'm hoping if anyone can show a sample of a warrantied wheel I'll have a better chance of making a claim.

No pics but it is a known problem so I'd have the dealer look at it. My new wheels seem to be a shade ever so slightly lighter in color so I'm glad I got 4 new wheels. But, that could be my eyesight playing tricks on me too.

Each warranty is done on an independent claim. Submitting other wheels as support of a warrantied in question would not IMHO be in your best interest.
I might mention that MAZDA uses 3 and maybe 4 different countries to manufacture their wheels. Not all the countries had a quality control problem and MAZDA is not saying which country the possible quality control issue was a problem.
I would simply go to your dealer and request the warranty claim be processed through MAZDA. That is the procedure anyway with warranties.
You can confirm my response by going to MAZDA forums and warranty converge information.

Does anyone know if this was just an issue on the 2017 GT wheels since now the 2018 Mazda lineup pretty much all use the dark metalic painted wheels?

Does anyone know if this was just an issue on the 2017 GT wheels since now the 2018 Mazda lineup pretty much all use the dark metalic painted wheels?

I had the issue on my 2016 GT which was manufactured in June 2015. No telling when the wheels were manufactured.

Back