Tire Review: Yokohama YK740 GTX

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
I thought I'd post my experience with these tires.

I bought these tires (Yokohama YK740 GTX, 225/55R19 99V, 740 A A, 60,000 Miles) 2 years ago at Discount Tire to replace the Toyo A23 OEM tires. I have a dedicated set of snow tires/rims, so both the Toyos and the Yokos are summer only tires for me.

Short version: Fabulous tires, great handling, long-wearing, perfect match to my 2014 CX-5 GT.

Long version: The tires start out with 12/32" of tread depth which is more than most. The UTQG rating and the warranty are both on the high end of tires that fit the GT with a V speed rating (OEM spec). I just took them off for the winter and they now have 18,946 miles on them. I measured the remaining tread depth on each and 3 of the tires were at 9.50-9.75/32" and 1 (the right rear tire for some reason) was at 8.5/32". I know it's the right rear tire because I do not rotate my tires. When my front tires are worn out, which usually happens in about 5 years, I replace all 4 tires with new rubber. I know that's sacrilege to some, but it works for me. Wear across all the tread of all 4 tires was quite even.

These tires stick like glue to the road. I bought my CX-5 because of the way it handles and I like to use that great handling characteristic a lot, so I typically drive in a "spirited" manner, especially on curvy roads and entrance/exit ramps. These tires are the equal of the OEM A23s or perhaps slightly better. I have never felt that they were going to let me down in any situation, wet or dry, and they let me enjoy the CX-5 the way Mazda engineers designed it. Another pro is that the sidewalls are quite stiff and extend beyond the edge of the OEM rims so I have zero road rash on my rims even after 5 years.

The only negative to them is their weight. At 29.1 pounds each, they are heavier than other popular choices for the CX-5. This translates into slightly slower acceleration and slightly lower gas mileage than I might achieve with a different tire choice. But my seat of the pants experience says that it does not adversely affect handling, probably because of the stiffer sidewall. In Interstate driving (I take quite a few long drives in the summer) I can still get over 30 mpg with these tires if I don't go too fast (mpg starts to decline significantly over 70 mph).

So all in all, even those these tires are only available at Discount Tire and some folks might be afraid of that, I am 100% satisfied with them and would buy them again in a heartbeat. The worst part of owning them was watching the uncaring teenager mounting them at DT 2 years ago!

The only negative to them is their weight. At 29.1 pounds each, they are heavier than other popular choices for the CX-5. This translates into slightly slower acceleration and slightly lower gas mileage than I might achieve with a different tire choice. But my seat of the pants experience says that it does not adversely affect handling, probably because of the stiffer sidewall. In Interstate driving (I take quite a few long drives in the summer) I can still get over 30 mpg with these tires if I don't go too fast (mpg starts to decline significantly over 70 mph).

So all in all, even those these tires are only available at Discount Tire and some folks might be afraid of that, I am 100% satisfied with them and would buy them again in a heartbeat. The worst part of owning them was watching the uncaring teenager mounting them at DT 2 years ago!

DT tried to sell these YK740's to me too, but the weight turned me off to them as did the bad experience with the OEM Yokohama Geolandars that came with my Touring. Not sure Yokohama would be a brand I'd ever buy because of that. Ended up with the widely recommended on this forum General Altimax RT43's that have overall been great general (pun intended) use tires for a great price and at 25 lbs/tire.

Yeah you aren't kidding about the "uncaring teenagers". My OEM wheels are scratched to hell after every trip to the tire shop (4 different Discount Tires over the years, and a Big O). They've all scratched the hell out of the edge of my wheels.

Last edited:
I thought I'd post my experience with these tires.

I bought these tires (Yokohama YK740 GTX, 225/55R19 99V, 740 A A, 60,000 Miles) 2 years ago at Discount Tire to replace the Toyo A23 OEM tires. ⋯

Short version: Fabulous tires, great handling, long-wearing, perfect match to my 2014 CX-5 GT.
Thanks for the very detailed review!

I have used 3 sets of Yokohama Avid TRZ with UTQG "700 A B" on my 1998 Honda CR-V as I was a fan of Yoko tires at the time. But what I found was the quality of these tires seems to be inconsistent. The tires were much noisier on the third set for some reason. The tread wear could never live up the 700 UTQG rating as all 3 sets wore out at about 35K~40K miles although I didn't lose too much money as I could always get plenty of credit from Discount Tire due to mileage warranty. I switched to General AltiMAX RT43 after the third Yoko's and these General's at least are doing much better job on tread wear.

Long version: The tires start out with 12/32" of tread depth which is more than most. The UTQG rating and the warranty are both on the high end of tires that fit the GT with a V speed rating (OEM spec). I just took them off for the winter and they now have 18,946 miles on them. I measured the remaining tread depth on each and 3 of the tires were at 9.50-9.75/32" and 1 (the right rear tire for some reason) was at 8.5/32".
The maximum speed of CX-5 is 120 mph. So H speed-rated tires at 130 mph is not only safe but also legal to be used on our CX-5. Not to mention that CX-5 Sport and Touring all come with H speed-rated tires from factory.

If long tread wear is important, thicker tread depth is not the only thing to be considered as it will increase the tire weight. IMO mileage warranty and UTQG treadwear rating should be weighted a little more than the tread depth.

Yep this Discount-Tire-only Yokohama YK740 GTX is a good candidate if a CX-5 GT owner insists V speed-rated tires, but doesn't want to pay the very high price on Michelin Premier LTX!

In theory newer tire mounting machine used in Discount Tire Store won't touch the rim while mounting the tire. Scratching the edge of the rim should be a thing of the past.

Back