CX-9 Trailer Hitch

:
2019 CX-9 Grand Touring
I recently purchased my new '19 CX-9 GT and needed a trailer hitch to attach my 1-UP USA bike rack. I ended up buying a Curt 12156 hitch from eTrailer for $122.41 shipped. This hitch as a 1-1/4" receiver and is rated for 3,000 lbs. towing and 350 lbs. tongue weight. My bike rack has a 1-1/4" shaft and since the hitch is only for the bike rack (not towing) I prefer the smaller receiver for appearance reasons.

The hitch is very high quality, looks great and went on easily. The instructions were very clear and everything needed including fish wires for the bolts were included. Installation involved removing a trim panel under the bumper (it remains off with the hitch on), dropping the exhaust down a few inches and then bolting on the hitch with 4 bolts. The toughest part was lifting the hitch up and aligning it by myself, but I was able to lay it on top of the lowered muffler (and me) and get it in place pretty easily. To do the installation correctly you need a torque wrench.

The Curt and Cequent (U-Haul & Draw-Tite labels) hitch receivers both get good reviews. The best installation videos are on the etrailer.com site.

Back