Thread: 2018 CX-5 GT Rear Bumper Protection Strip Recommendations

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

2018 CX-5 GT Rear Bumper Protection Strip Recommendations

Hi Everyone, I wanted to inquire if anyone has applied a rear bumper strip on any 2018 CX5 models other than the chrome option that mazda sells as an accessory (link attached). My vehicle is deep crystal blue mica and i have some nicks and scuffs on the rear bumper top that id like to cover up with one of these strips and to prevent future incidents.

However i was looking for one that is black or a darker color as i think the chrome one mazda sells stands out a bit too much and also doesnt cover enough area. Attached is one i found online but i notice it says it cant be used on vehicles with power lift gate. I've contacted the company to inquire about that restriction and am waiting to hear back. Just wanted to get your thoughts as well. Any recommendations are appreciated. Also the GT is the top of the line model in Canada, but i believe in the US it is referred to as the Grand Touring?

https://mazdashop.ca/products/rear-b...cx-5-2017-2018

https://www.sportwing.com/RBP-005-Ma...mper-Protector

Wondering how long one of these would last against the elements considering its only using 3m adhesive.

2012 Mazda3 GTE - Indigo Lights Mica

Not sure why they would say "Excludes models with power liftgate" as the liftgate doesn't touch it.

Wouldn't worry about the 3M adhesive not holding up to the cold temps or water. That's only if the adhesive is the true 3M material.

Registered Member

2017 CX5 GT AWD Premium

I had a custom strip of paint protection film installed on the rear bumper when my front end clear bra was installed.

Registered Member

2018, Mazda, CX-5, Snowflake Pearl, Grand Touring

Southern Arizona (40 Miles south of Tucson)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoy View Post
    Wouldn't worry about the 3M adhesive not holding up to the cold temps or water. That's only if the adhesive is the true 3M material.
    And, in the event that the receiving surface is cold, it should be warmed up with either a hair dryer or heat gun before the tape touches it.

3M tape is absolutely fantastic. I keep several roles of it in varying widths at all times.
    2018 CX-5 Grand Touring Snowflake White Pearl----2016 MX-5 GT Soft Top Ceramic White Metallic.