Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Is cx9 2016 oil filter interchangeable with cx5 12-17 one?

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    CX-5 AWD GT

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    70

    Is cx9 2016 oil filter interchangeable with cx5 12-17 one?

    I work as a mechanic and Iíve serviced many cx5 with genuine tokyo ryoki 1PE oil filter as well as new 1WPE ones and apparently they are interchangeable with RYCO Z436(Australian filters company). Today Iíve serviced 2016 cx9 with a genuine tokyo ryoki PY8W oil filter and doing a RYCO cross reference, it appears to be interchangeable with Z436. Does that mean that I can use the cx9 oil filter on cx5?

  2. #2
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,881

    Arrow Is cx9 2016 oil filter interchangeable with cx5 12-17 one?

    Quote Originally Posted by sergeyv View Post
    I work as a mechanic and Iíve serviced many cx5 with genuine tokyo ryoki 1PE oil filter as well as new 1WPE ones and apparently they are interchangeable with RYCO Z436(Australian filters company). Today Iíve serviced 2016 cx9 with a genuine tokyo ryoki PY8W oil filter and doing a RYCO cross reference, it appears to be interchangeable with Z436. Does that mean that I can use the cx9 oil filter on cx5?
    There's a reason why Mazda offers 2 different oil filters for 2.5L and 2.5T. Those generic after-market oil filters often use one-size-for-all approach as long as they fit, you'll never know if they actually meet the specs of Mazda OEM oil filter.

    PE01-14-302B for CX-5:
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    PY8W-14-302 for CX-9:
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1446 View Post

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    CX-5 AWD GT

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    70
    On a first look they look the same. Wondering if thereís an actual difference or itís just a marketing/business trick to make you think theyíre different. Iím gonna cut the cx9 in two tomorrow and see how it is inside. You know that cx5 steering wheel on 2012 and the one on 2014 are exactly identical but the part number is different.

  4. #4
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,881

    Arrow Is cx9 2016 oil filter interchangeable with cx5 12-17 one?

    Quote Originally Posted by sergeyv View Post
    On a first look they look the same. Wondering if thereís an actual difference or itís just a marketing/business trick to make you think theyíre different. Iím gonna cut the cx9 in two tomorrow and see how it is inside. You know that cx5 steering wheel on 2012 and the one on 2014 are exactly identical but the part number is different.
    Actually 2 oil filters may look the same, but their maximum flow rate and micron rating can be different. Here's an example between OEM B6Y1-14-302A and PE01-14-302A oil filters based on internal Mazda document they're not interchangeable although they look the same in size and shape. Some aftermarket oil filters such as Mobil 1ô M1-108A claimed to be compatible with both of these OEM filters which have different specs. The RYCO Z436 oil filter in your area apparently is under the same "one-size-fit-all" situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by AdzamOZ View Post
    Here is one MNAO PDF to their US Mazda Dealers concerning genuine Oil Filter(s) installation and use for ALL SA Engines..
    Mazda Dealers (in USA particularly) are also seeing stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM) when they use even 'other' genuine Mazda oil filters in Skyactiv engines, see pic, they look identical, but it is what is inside.

    As for the same OEM part using different part numbers, IMO this's totally against logic. I can't see how a manufacture can make more profit by assigning different part numbers to the same part. This would also increase the cost of inventory system. Usually there's a reason to assign a new part number to a part which is similar. Sometimes the same part coming from different vender may get a new part number assigned. And I believe this's exactly what happened on the identical steering wheel between 2 vehicles.

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    CX-5 AWD GT

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    70
    Yeah. Iíll give mazda a benefit of the doubt

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 CX-5 Sport Factory Air filter vs. Aftermarket Air filter
    By txt990 in forum CX-5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2018, 05:10 PM
  2. Bosch ST3300 Oil Filter - Fits 2016 but won't work for 2017??
    By Lbear in forum CX-5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 04-23-2018, 04:09 PM
  3. Cabin Air Filter for 2016 CX-9
    By SeCX-9 in forum CX-9 Accessories & Appearance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-13-2018, 01:54 AM
  4. Change cabin air filter 2016 CX-9?
    By ioiwin in forum CX-9 Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2017, 05:40 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2017, 01:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •