Is cx9 2016 oil filter interchangeable with cx5 12-17 one?

:
CX-5 AWD GT
I work as a mechanic and Ive serviced many cx5 with genuine tokyo ryoki 1PE oil filter as well as new 1WPE ones and apparently they are interchangeable with RYCO Z436(Australian filters company). Today Ive serviced 2016 cx9 with a genuine tokyo ryoki PY8W oil filter and doing a RYCO cross reference, it appears to be interchangeable with Z436. Does that mean that I can use the cx9 oil filter on cx5?

I work as a mechanic and Ive serviced many cx5 with genuine tokyo ryoki 1PE oil filter as well as new 1WPE ones and apparently they are interchangeable with RYCO Z436(Australian filters company). Today Ive serviced 2016 cx9 with a genuine tokyo ryoki PY8W oil filter and doing a RYCO cross reference, it appears to be interchangeable with Z436. Does that mean that I can use the cx9 oil filter on cx5?
There's a reason why Mazda offers 2 different oil filters for 2.5L and 2.5T. Those generic after-market oil filters often use one-size-for-all approach as long as they fit, you'll never know if they actually meet the specs of Mazda OEM oil filter.

PE01-14-302B for CX-5:
attachment.php

View attachment 216907

PY8W-14-302 for CX-9:

On a first look they look the same. Wondering if theres an actual difference or its just a marketing/business trick to make you think theyre different. Im gonna cut the cx9 in two tomorrow and see how it is inside. You know that cx5 steering wheel on 2012 and the one on 2014 are exactly identical but the part number is different.

On a first look they look the same. Wondering if theres an actual difference or its just a marketing/business trick to make you think theyre different. Im gonna cut the cx9 in two tomorrow and see how it is inside. You know that cx5 steering wheel on 2012 and the one on 2014 are exactly identical but the part number is different.
Actually 2 oil filters may look the same, but their maximum flow rate and micron rating can be different. Here's an example between OEM B6Y1-14-302A and PE01-14-302A oil filters based on internal Mazda document they're not interchangeable although they look the same in size and shape. Some aftermarket oil filters such as Mobil 1 M1-108A claimed to be compatible with both of these OEM filters which have different specs. The RYCO Z436 oil filter in your area apparently is under the same "one-size-fit-all" situation.

Here is one MNAO PDF to their US Mazda Dealers concerning genuine Oil Filter(s) installation and use for ALL SA Engines..
Mazda Dealers (in USA particularly) are also seeing stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM) when they use even 'other' genuine Mazda oil filters in Skyactiv engines, see pic, they look identical, but it is what is inside.

attachment.php

As for the same OEM part using different part numbers, IMO this's totally against logic. I can't see how a manufacture can make more profit by assigning different part numbers to the same part. This would also increase the cost of inventory system. Usually there's a reason to assign a new part number to a part which is similar. Sometimes the same part coming from different vender may get a new part number assigned. And I believe this's exactly what happened on the identical steering wheel between 2 vehicles.

Latest posts

Back