Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windshield- OEM or OEE/Aftermarket

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    That sucks. Denver is stoopid expensive regardless.
    Yes, yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Why is Denver property expensive?
    Because it has largely been like some other places where people move here from places like California and drive up the real estate. Combine that with a good economy and continued migration of folks moving here from all over, and the general cost of living has just skyrocketed over the past decade or so.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 75k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Yes, yes it is.

Because it has largely been like some other places where people move here from places like California and drive up the real estate. Combine that with a good economy and continued migration of folks moving here from all over, and the general cost of living has just skyrocketed over the past decade or so.
    I'm even seeing it here. I bought 35 acres in 2013, well outside the city but still in the same county, and I sold it 4 years later for over 30% more than I paid for it, while having done zero improvements. Keep in mind this property was VERY steep (90% unbuildable nearly). We have a TON of Cali transplants to my area.

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Just for my 2016 CX-5 GT, there're 2 different OEM windshields for GT due to different sensor holders depending on which options the vehicle has. Not to mention 2016 Sport and Touring which use additional 2 different OEM windshields due to different sensor holders or no sensors, and different shade treatment.

As for gen-2 CX-5 GT, not sure wether or not the HUD / ADD requires special coated windshield, but the windshield wiper de-icer, which is also included in GT Premium Package, does have different windshield with heated element at the bottom of the windshield.
    Jesus. 4 windshields for just one model. Madness....

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT

Thanks guys. Iíve decided to stick with OEM just to be safe. I already scheduled an appointment with my local dealership. And theyíre a participating Costco dealer so itíll be 15% off

P.S. my insurance doesnít offer a safety glass policy so itíll be comprehensive. I know some companies do offer such coverage where theyíll buyback the cracked windshield for $100. Sadly mine doesnít. I decided not to switch because Pemco offers competitive rates and itís hassle to switch.
    Last edited by khl3657; 11-02-2018 at 04:52 AM.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by khl3657 View Post
    Thanks guys. I*ve decided to stick with OEM just to be safe. I already scheduled an appointment with my local dealership. And they*re also a participatong dealer so it*ll be 15% off

P.S. my insurance doesn*t offer a safety glass policy so it*ll be comprehensive. I know some companies do offer such coverage where they*ll buyback the cracked windshield for $100. Sadly mine doesn*t. I decided not to switch because Pemco offers competitive rates and it*s hassle to switch.
    Do they do your house and or renters and valuables as well? If not, and i dont know what stage of life youre in, but if youre still building, id recommend a company that will do all of it to your satisfaction. State Farm covers my home, vehicle, and firearms, as well as my professional insurance as a rider under my estate umbrella policy. It pays in discounts etc. To have 1 company handle it all, if possible.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT

Do they do your house and or renters and valuables as well? If not, and i dont know what stage of life youre in, but if youre still building, id recommend a company that will do all of it to your satisfaction. State Farm covers my home, vehicle, and firearms, as well as my professional insurance as a rider under my estate umbrella policy. It pays in discounts etc. To have 1 company handle it all, if possible.
    I have a homeowner, auto, and umbrella policy with Pemco. Some companies donít offer umbrella or their maximum bodily liability is low (100/300?). And I recently compared rates with Farmers, Ameriprise and a few others, and most of them came in higher. I figured the lower premium will offset an expensive windshield replacement.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by khl3657 View Post
    I have a homeowner, auto, and umbrella policy with Pemco. Some companies don*t offer umbrella or their maximum bodily liability is low (100/300?). And I recently compared rates with Farmers, Ameriprise and a few others, and most of them came in higher. I figured the lower premium will offset an expensive windshield replacement.
    Roger that. Have you tried state farm? They do everything but my home owners for $16X a month, and the home owners is another 1300ish? A year. That includes a substantial firearm policy that covers everything from my 10.5" pump shotgun to my class 3 items and all accessories attatched to said firearms (optics, lights etc). My limits are $1M.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT

Roger that. Have you tried state farm? They do everything but my home owners for $16X a month, and the home owners is another 1300ish? A year. That includes a substantial firearm policy that covers everything from my 10.5" pump shotgun to my class 3 items and all accessories attatched to said firearms (optics, lights etc). My limits are $1M.
    I havenít but Iíll request a quote from them now

Thank you.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Gonna derail thread a minute, sorry...

Fellow firearm owner here. Perhaps something I should look at, or only if you have a stockpile worth a lot?

I only have a couple hand guns, a very old .22 that was my Dad"s when he was a kid, still works great, would like to grab a shotgun and a rifle at some point though.

Speaking of which...got any recommendations on shotguns to look at?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Gonna derail thread a minute, sorry...

Fellow firearm owner here. Perhaps something I should look at, or only if you have a stockpile worth a lot?

I only have a couple hand guns, a very old .22 that was my Dad"s when he was a kid, still works great, would like to grab a shotgun and a rifle at some point though.

Speaking of which...got any recommendations on shotguns to look at?
    Sure. I have around $20k insured and dont even notice the premiums. Stolen? Fell out of the deer stand and busted a scope? It covers it.

Shotguns...thr only ones I own are Italian. Supernova Benelli for pump, whatever flavor semi auto from Benelli you like for semi auto. If youre into fine double guns, i am of no help.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 11-04-2018 at 01:30 AM.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Sure. I have around $20k insured and dont even notice the premiums. Stolen? Fell out of the deer stand and busted a scope? It covers it.

Shotguns...thr only ones I own are Italian. Supernova Benelli for pump, whatever flavor semi auto from Benelli you like for semi auto. If youre into find double guns, i am of no help.
    Cool, thanks Uno.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Cool, thanks Uno.
    Remington and Mossberg QA/QC are like Fiat. The older (80s and back) Remington 870P and Wingmaster were good guns. Worth buying if you find a clean used one.

Rifles? The m4 platform is my go to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12