Windshield- OEM or OEE/Aftermarket

Do they do your house and or renters and valuables as well? If not, and i dont know what stage of life youre in, but if youre still building, id recommend a company that will do all of it to your satisfaction. State Farm covers my home, vehicle, and firearms, as well as my professional insurance as a rider under my estate umbrella policy. It pays in discounts etc. To have 1 company handle it all, if possible.

I have a homeowner, auto, and umbrella policy with Pemco. Some companies dont offer umbrella or their maximum bodily liability is low (100/300?). And I recently compared rates with Farmers, Ameriprise and a few others, and most of them came in higher. I figured the lower premium will offset an expensive windshield replacement.

I have a homeowner, auto, and umbrella policy with Pemco. Some companies don*t offer umbrella or their maximum bodily liability is low (100/300?). And I recently compared rates with Farmers, Ameriprise and a few others, and most of them came in higher. I figured the lower premium will offset an expensive windshield replacement.

Roger that. Have you tried state farm? They do everything but my home owners for $16X a month, and the home owners is another 1300ish? A year. That includes a substantial firearm policy that covers everything from my 10.5" pump shotgun to my class 3 items and all accessories attatched to said firearms (optics, lights etc). My limits are $1M.

Roger that. Have you tried state farm? They do everything but my home owners for $16X a month, and the home owners is another 1300ish? A year. That includes a substantial firearm policy that covers everything from my 10.5" pump shotgun to my class 3 items and all accessories attatched to said firearms (optics, lights etc). My limits are $1M.

I havent but Ill request a quote from them now :)

Thank you.

Gonna derail thread a minute, sorry...

Fellow firearm owner here. Perhaps something I should look at, or only if you have a stockpile worth a lot?

I only have a couple hand guns, a very old .22 that was my Dad"s when he was a kid, still works great, would like to grab a shotgun and a rifle at some point though.

Speaking of which...got any recommendations on shotguns to look at?

Gonna derail thread a minute, sorry...

Fellow firearm owner here. Perhaps something I should look at, or only if you have a stockpile worth a lot?

I only have a couple hand guns, a very old .22 that was my Dad"s when he was a kid, still works great, would like to grab a shotgun and a rifle at some point though.

Speaking of which...got any recommendations on shotguns to look at?

Sure. I have around $20k insured and dont even notice the premiums. Stolen? Fell out of the deer stand and busted a scope? It covers it.

Shotguns...thr only ones I own are Italian. Supernova Benelli for pump, whatever flavor semi auto from Benelli you like for semi auto. If youre into fine double guns, i am of no help.

Last edited:
Sure. I have around $20k insured and dont even notice the premiums. Stolen? Fell out of the deer stand and busted a scope? It covers it.

Shotguns...thr only ones I own are Italian. Supernova Benelli for pump, whatever flavor semi auto from Benelli you like for semi auto. If youre into find double guns, i am of no help.
Cool, thanks Uno.

Just passed 3200 miles on the odometer and a rock on the PA turnpike got me on Wednesday morning. I was traveling at around 70-75mph, barely heard it make a tap, due to the damn fine sound system. The tractor trailer in front of me had to be at least 10 car lengths ahead. Not even a chip on the hood, right into the windshield, rock is still stuck in it. Crazy.....

Going in for repair on Friday. Using the auto glass place the dealer suggested. If they can't repair it they will replace the windshield with a OEM. At least my glass replacement deductible is only $50.

ZxDrdzB.jpg

Last edited:
They were able to fix it, I'd say its as good as 90% new. Sorta looks like a few specs of dirt stuck inside the fixed area.

Were on 2 years on a Made in China Windshield that cost $220 installed on CX-5. Okay quality.

Just got Made in USA Pilkington installed on my Mazda6 yesterday for $318 installed. Good quality!! Same shop quoted aprox $630 using OEM windshield.

I did not have windshield coverage so I just now added it at about 7$ a month for each car in Arizona under Geico.

I owned an Infiniti G35. Driving to work one morning a bus in front of me threw back a big rock and cracked my windshield. By the time I got to work the crack had spread several inches. I called my insurance carrier (GEICO) and they sent out one of those mobile windshield replacement service guys who installed a new windshield in the parking lot. He used a non-OEM windshield.
When I got in the car I felt like I was stoned. The windshield was of poor optical quality with distortion around the edges. If I had the same situation today I would demand an OEM windshield. There is a reason that there is a cost difference with the replacements.

Were on 2 years on a Made in China Windshield that cost $220 installed on CX-5. Okay quality.

Just got Made in USA Pilkington installed on my Mazda6 yesterday for $318 installed. Good quality!! Same shop quoted aprox $630 using OEM windshield.

I did not have windshield coverage so I just now added it at about 7$ a month for each car in Arizona under Geico.

I have Geico insurance also. Does that give you a free or significantly reduced windshield if you make a claim? Otherwise, it's covered under your normal Comprehensive deductible. https://www.geico.com/claims/glass-claims-guide/

Last edited:
This thread prompted me to revisit my insurance. I just changed the Comprehensive Deductible from 500 to 200. It costs only $10.20 extra per 6 month term (it was a larger difference for my previous vehicle). That way, I don't have to worry as much about making a claim. Pilkington actually makes a very good windshield, but I will only use the factory OEM glass. The 17+ CX-5 uses a laminated front windshield and front glass.

Last edited:
This thread prompted me to revisit my insurance. I just changed the Comprehensive Deductible from 500 to 200. It costs only $10.20 extra per 6 month term (it was a larger difference for my previous vehicle). That way, I don't have to worry as much about making a claim. Pilkington actually makes a very good windshield, but I will only use the factory OEM glass. The 17+ CX-5 uses a laminated front windshield and front glass.
From my experience if youre making even just one claim not at your fault, your premium will get affected. My CX-5 suffered hail damage twice in 2 years, the premium is almost doubled! The same on my home-owner insurance. My theory on car insurance is it covers only for bigger damage or loss such as hail damage or stolen vehicle. Id pay the fixes by myself for small items and dont want to file a claim. I buy $1,000 deductible comprehensive on car insurance just for that reason. I get only liability insurance for my older cars, as the insurance premium on comprehensive never goes down when the car is getting older, and its too easy to get totaled for older vehicles because the book value is low.

From my experience if you*re making even just one claim not at your fault, your premium will get affected.

I had this happen to me with Allstate. I'd been with them since the early 70s, and made a claim nearly 30 years later. My rates went up.

I called and screamed, and they told me their hands were tied by the laws in my state. Every case must be handled identically so as to avoid discrimination. I did not verify this with my state insurance commission. I should have.

From my experience if you*re making even just one claim not at your fault, your premium will get affected. My CX-5 suffered hail damage twice in 2 years, the premium is almost doubled! The same on my home-owner insurance. My theory on car insurance is it covers only for bigger damage or loss such as hail damage or stolen vehicle. I*d pay the fixes by myself for small items and don*t want to file a claim. I buy $1,000 deductible comprehensive on car insurance just for that reason. I get only liability insurance for my older cars, as the insurance premium on comprehensive never goes down when the car is getting older, and it*s too easy to get totaled for older vehicles because the book value is low.

I agree with that theory.
How much was the hail damage in each instance?
Did they raise your rates (significantly) after the first claim, or the second? My rates have typically gone up year over year just a very little. Currently at 70/month on auto insurance.

Last edited:
Back