Windshield- OEM or OEE/Aftermarket

khl3657

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Hello,

I have the 2017 CX-5 GT. I was driving on the freeway and got hit with a rock chip. Safelite tried to repair it but it ended up cracking the windshield. The crack is about 6-8 long from the bottom middle to the passenger side. Safelite is quoting me $671 after tax for an aftermarket/OEE replacement, or $917 for OEM. Ill be paying out of pocket since my comprehensive deductible is $1,000.

I did a lot of research and I couldnt find much info on aftermarket windshields. In fact, it seems like OEM was the only option until recently. My question is should I pay up and stick with OEM, or save the money and get an aftermarket instead?

I dont mind spending the extra money if the OEM is better somehow. I just dont want to pay the premium if theres no difference between the two, and not to mention I could get another rock chip in the future. I replaced my windshield 3 times on my last vehicle. I dont follow close but rocks just fly everywhere!

What do you guys think? Thank you for your help.

without seeing the two it is hard to say.

I had a Lexus RX and I went with the Safelite windshield. Wife hated it. Why?

Because the area by the mirror and sun visor that has the dots, it acts as a shade. The OEM area covered everything not covered by sun visors when they are folded down. The Safelight area was about half the size.

I don't want to say I won't use safelight again, but I will make sure the aftermarket is identical. My wife is short, and this really bothered her - and I didn't blame her.

In that case, I should have gone OEM.

One more thing, get a price from the dealer - installed. They contract out with glass companies. Tell them the safelite price. You may find them being competitive.

One more thing, get a price from the dealer - installed. They contract out with glass companies. Tell them the safelite price. You may find them being competitive.

Seconded. Our 2016.5 needed a new windshield a couple months into ownership and got it done at the dealer. Not only was it very competitively priced, but this new OEM one is holding up MUCH better than the factory installed one.

Hello,

I have the 2017 CX-5 GT. I was driving on the freeway and got hit with a rock chip. Safelite tried to repair it but it ended up cracking the windshield. The crack is about 6*-8* long from the bottom middle to the passenger side. Safelite is quoting me $671 after tax for an aftermarket/OEE replacement, or $917 for OEM. I*ll be paying out of pocket since my comprehensive deductible is $1,000.

I did a lot of research and I couldn*t find much info on aftermarket windshields. In fact, it seems like OEM was the only option until recently. My question is should I pay up and stick with OEM, or save the money and get an aftermarket instead?

I don*t mind spending the extra money if the OEM is better somehow. I just don*t want to pay the premium if there*s no difference between the two, and not to mention I could get another rock chip in the future. I replaced my windshield 3 times on my last vehicle. I don*t follow close but rocks just fly everywhere!

1) get 0 deductible glass coverage. Its about $3/mo.
2) My safelite replacement is going on 2 years, now. My 2 OEMs lasted a few days to a few months.

General rule for repairs is to shop around with at least 3 companies. Also shop insurance with windshield coverage.

2) My safelite replacement is going on 2 years, now. My 2 OEMs lasted a few days to a few months.

1) I agree. A $1k for a deductible to include a windshield. Ouch! I can get like 2 a year free of charge with my insurance, no extra charge.

2) Agree again, Safelite windshields are better than OEM. I've recommended them to 2 people in the last couple of months on two different cars, and they agree as well.

My experience with safelight was with my recently sold Mazda 3. It had the rain sensing wipers, and the replacement model failed to work. The dealer tried a new motor/sensor (what goes in the box behind the rearview mirror) after trying to adjust the sensor and no dice. If I hadn't sold it, I probably would have replaced the windshield with an oem just to get my wipers back. I really got used to them! :)

Hello,

I have the 2017 CX-5 GT. I was driving on the freeway and got hit with a rock chip. Safelite tried to repair it but it ended up cracking the windshield. The crack is about 6*-8* long from the bottom middle to the passenger side. Safelite is quoting me $671 after tax for an aftermarket/OEE replacement, or $917 for OEM. I*ll be paying out of pocket since my comprehensive deductible is $1,000.

I did a lot of research and I couldn*t find much info on aftermarket windshields. In fact, it seems like OEM was the only option until recently. My question is should I pay up and stick with OEM, or save the money and get an aftermarket instead?

I don*t mind spending the extra money if the OEM is better somehow. I just don*t want to pay the premium if there*s no difference between the two, and not to mention I could get another rock chip in the future. I replaced my windshield 3 times on my last vehicle. I don*t follow close but rocks just fly everywhere!

Does your 2017 CX-5 GT have Premium Package? The existence of HUD and windshield wiper de-icer could make difference between OEM and aftermarket windshields.

Not long ago some member mentioned there's only OEM windshield available for gen-2 CX-5.

OEM windshield on gen-2 CX-5 is acoustic glass. Not sure the Safelite windshield is made of. When I check the Safelite website about the price ($609.99 for 2017 CX-5 with all sensors and HUD), it doesn't distinguish the differences between GT and GT with Premium Package and doesn't ask about the de-icer. This alone would make me feel uncomfortable getting the Safelite windshield.

Definitely take the suggestion from alphadog00 getting a quote from windshield installer used by Mazda dealer. I did the same thing when I had my windshield replaced.

Last edited:

Can't get that everywhere. Here, for example.

Anyway, can't speak for Gen 2's, but with my Gen 1, aftermarket glass has seemed much more resilient. My factory glass didn't crack for 4 years, but it definitely chipped easy. My aftermarket one on the other hand seems to resist chipping much, much better.

I doubt Mazda uses 2 different windshields either, yrwie. Wouldn't be very cost effective.

I doubt Mazda uses 2 different windshields either, yrwie. Wouldn't be very cost effective.
Just for my 2016 CX-5 GT, there're 2 different OEM windshields for GT due to different sensor holders depending on which options the vehicle has. Not to mention 2016 Sport and Touring which use additional 2 different OEM windshields due to different sensor holders or no sensors, and different shade treatment.

As for gen-2 CX-5 GT, not sure wether or not the HUD / ADD requires special coated windshield, but the windshield wiper de-icer, which is also included in GT Premium Package, does have different windshield with heated element at the bottom of the windshield.

Can't get that everywhere. Here, for example.

Anyway, can't speak for Gen 2's, but with my Gen 1, aftermarket glass has seemed much more resilient. My factory glass didn't crack for 4 years, but it definitely chipped easy. My aftermarket one on the other hand seems to resist chipping much, much better.

That sucks. Denver is stoopid expensive regardless.

That sucks. Denver is stoopid expensive regardless.

Yes, yes it is.

Why is Denver property expensive?

Because it has largely been like some other places where people move here from places like California and drive up the real estate. Combine that with a good economy and continued migration of folks moving here from all over, and the general cost of living has just skyrocketed over the past decade or so.

Yes, yes it is.

Because it has largely been like some other places where people move here from places like California and drive up the real estate. Combine that with a good economy and continued migration of folks moving here from all over, and the general cost of living has just skyrocketed over the past decade or so.

I'm even seeing it here. I bought 35 acres in 2013, well outside the city but still in the same county, and I sold it 4 years later for over 30% more than I paid for it, while having done zero improvements. Keep in mind this property was VERY steep (90% unbuildable nearly). We have a TON of Cali transplants to my area.

Just for my 2016 CX-5 GT, there're 2 different OEM windshields for GT due to different sensor holders depending on which options the vehicle has. Not to mention 2016 Sport and Touring which use additional 2 different OEM windshields due to different sensor holders or no sensors, and different shade treatment.

As for gen-2 CX-5 GT, not sure wether or not the HUD / ADD requires special coated windshield, but the windshield wiper de-icer, which is also included in GT Premium Package, does have different windshield with heated element at the bottom of the windshield.
Jesus. 4 windshields for just one model. Madness....

Thanks guys. Ive decided to stick with OEM just to be safe. I already scheduled an appointment with my local dealership. And theyre a participating Costco dealer so itll be 15% off :)

P.S. my insurance doesnt offer a safety glass policy so itll be comprehensive. I know some companies do offer such coverage where theyll buyback the cracked windshield for $100. Sadly mine doesnt. I decided not to switch because Pemco offers competitive rates and its hassle to switch.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I*ve decided to stick with OEM just to be safe. I already scheduled an appointment with my local dealership. And they*re also a participatong dealer so it*ll be 15% off :)

P.S. my insurance doesn*t offer a safety glass policy so it*ll be comprehensive. I know some companies do offer such coverage where they*ll buyback the cracked windshield for $100. Sadly mine doesn*t. I decided not to switch because Pemco offers competitive rates and it*s hassle to switch.

Do they do your house and or renters and valuables as well? If not, and i dont know what stage of life youre in, but if youre still building, id recommend a company that will do all of it to your satisfaction. State Farm covers my home, vehicle, and firearms, as well as my professional insurance as a rider under my estate umbrella policy. It pays in discounts etc. To have 1 company handle it all, if possible.

Back