CX-9 to 5

SDL

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
Now that the CX-5 is getting a turbocharged...is anyone considering switching over? Same engine, smaller car, probably better fuel efficiency. Signature level trims look like they would match all features. Besides the 7 seats, what else does the CX-9 bring to the table that the 5 wouldn't?

IMO if you the turbo is what you're really after then you should get a Mazda 6 considering its smaller and lighter which means more gains in general. I personally got the CX-9 because I love the styling inside and out, plus how spacious and well thought out the interior is. Only thing I may add is the cork sports exhaust, it sounds amazing.

The Dealer had my CX-9 Grand Touring for a week to refinish my 20" rims and they gave me a CX-5 Grand Touring.

First off my family did not fit very well in the CX-5, both my kids are over 6 feet tall.

As for the motor, it was very hard for me to start up a 4 cylinder engine in a truck. Keep in mind my 2015 GT is a 273HP V6 which I love. It wasn't as peppy as I thought although you better hold onto the wheel because the torque will move it around if floored.

The CX-5 still had the sticker in the window, $32,000 and it came with a compass (no NAV).

I guess I was expecting the CX-9 room just with no 3rd row but it's smaller in general.

Not 100% certain, but I think the CX-5 doesn't have a rear control panel for climate control. Aside from that I can't think of any other differences other than the CX-9 having more space, more weight, more speakers, more cup holders, more sound insulation, and larger tires.

Unless your main priority is acceleration, agility, & nimbleness then the CX-9 is the way to go. The CX-5 turbo will cost as much as a CX-9 Touring with the same engine. The CX-9 is significantly more vehicle. Better styling and much better proportions. I'm not crazy about the stubby proportions on compact crossovers. Not saying CX-5 doesn't look good but it does look compressed.

I currently own both vehicles, a CX-5 NA and a CX-9T. Short story, if I had my choice I'd drive the CX-5, but the CX-9 is better for hauling around family.
The only reasons my CX-9 stands above our CX-5 are: room, turbo engine, a few options (that are available on my CX-9 that my CX-5 was not offered with). I got the 9 because my wife and I were having a second kid, and her parents were staying with us over an extended period. We needed the room for six/seven.

IMO, the cx-5 is a better driving vehicle. It turns better, stops better, feels more nimble, etc. Every time I get in it and drive through a local canyon, I realise why I bought it in the first place. It just feels good to drive. If you don't have a large family to haul around, I'd choose the 5.

Some people find the CX-5 to be too small and the CX-9 too large.

There is however the CX-8 which is in between and has also just had the 2.5T added to it.

Some people find the CX-5 to be too small and the CX-9 too large.

There is however the CX-8 which is in between and has also just had the 2.5T added to it.

CX-8 is currently only available in Japan and Australia.

Not 100% certain, but I think the CX-5 doesn't have a rear control panel for climate control. Aside from that I can't think of any other differences other than the CX-9 having more space, more weight, more speakers, more cup holders, more sound insulation, and larger tires.
And much larger discount.

If you care for handling over space, I guess swapping from the 9 to the 5 makes sense. But if that is the case you should probably look at the mazda6 2.5t too.

If you care for handling over space, I guess swapping from the 9 to the 5 makes sense. But if that is the case you should probably look at the mazda6 2.5t too.

This might be up for debate as the CX-5 has AWD while the Mazda6 is FWD only. Also, I believe the new CX-5 will have GVC+ compared to the GVC that the 6 and the CX-9 have. According to the links below, "GVC+ applies light braking force to the outside wheels as you come out of a corner, improving extra stability as drivers straighten out. This, they claim, makes the transitions in roll, yaw, and pitch of the car smoother, and enables better responsiveness during sudden changes too."

https://www.carshowroom.com.au/news/2019-mazda-cx-5-gets-25-turbo-engine-in-japan/
https://philkotse.com/market-news/mazda-cx-5-2019-to-receive-significant-updates-in-powertrain-3035

Back