"Range Rover" two tone paint on CX-5

My dealer here in SFL has one of these in their showroom...it caught my eye immediately. Seeing it in person, I can say I happen to like it--it falls right into my comfort zone of making something unique without going over the top. But in agreement that it is dumb to call it the "Range Rover", whoever decided to christen it that, even if that's just a reference to the two-tone approach.

Yeah I thought it was strange that the Mazda dealer was marketing it under a different brands name...I was looking for a sedan but the floor model did the trick and got me behind the wheel for a test drive. When he told me the price I was like nope, but the rest is history. I ended up buying a CX-5

Forgot I snapped a crappy photo of the one I saw at my South FL dealership to text to a friend at that time....looks the same as the one in the OP's photo....and it reminded me that I really like the glossy black finish on the external mirror in contrast to the white body...

attachment.php

So I found a local to me guy today that does vinyl wrap work. When you start to look at the details of having the roof wrapped, you run across a few areas where you have a hard decision to make. If you decide to wrap the area below the roof rail cover and above the door, when you get beyond the back door, there is not a natural line to follow. In the picture, if you run the natural line of the door arch, does not look too bad. Also, the antenna.....if you need to remove it, you probably have to drop part of the roof liner to get to it. My guy is talking about cutting out around it and tucking in around it. Depending upon what I decide to do, looking at $4-500 for the job, probably $500 if I do it like the white one pictured.

That is a the $$ question. Do you forgo the area above the door/ below the rack cover. Part of me says to not do that area sort of diminishes the aesthetic effect of what I am going for with the gloss black out roof. Where does one stop? I was thinking about (once upon a time) of doing the Racing Beat exhaust. Now, after driving the vehicle for 13k miles? Probably not, I still like hitting the sport mode button and getting my foot into it, love the Pirelli tires I have on it with the black rims. This most likely would be the last upgrade I would likely do.

Another question I came up with....the raw edge of the vinyl, I am wondering how it lays if exposed? Does it peel or roll? That question alone might answer how far I want to go with vinyl.

Last edited:
So I found a local to me guy today that does vinyl wrap work. When you start to look at the details of having the roof wrapped, you run across a few areas where you have a hard decision to make. If you decide to wrap the area below the roof rail cover and above the door, when you get beyond the back door, there is not a natural line to follow. In the picture, if you run the natural line of the door arch, does not look too bad. Also, the antenna.....if you need to remove it, you probably have to drop part of the roof liner to get to it. My guy is talking about cutting out around it and tucking in around it. Depending upon what I decide to do, looking at $4-500 for the job, probably $500 if I do it like the white one pictured.

That is a the $$ question. Do you forgo the area above the door/ below the rack cover. Part of me says to not do that area sort of diminishes the aesthetic effect of what I am going for with the gloss black out roof. Where does one stop? I was thinking about (once upon a time) of doing the Racing Beat exhaust. Now, after driving the vehicle for 13k miles? Probably not, I still like hitting the sport mode button and getting my foot into it, love the Pirelli tires I have on it with the black rims. This most likely would be the last upgrade I would likely do.

Another question I came up with....the raw edge of the vinyl, I am wondering how it lays if exposed? Does it peel or roll? That question alone might answer how far I want to go with vinyl.

Young-NYC posted photos in the sticky at the top of this sub-forum with his gloss black roof using Autoflex peel-able rubber coating. Did some searching and found this article. Wondering myself where the price point compares to vinyl wrap

https://jalopnik.com/this-removable-paint-is-like-plasti-dip-but-all-grown-u-1783482823

The price for vinyl wrapping the roof is anywhere from $300- $500 depending on the shop. Higher cost doesnt mean better quality. I used autoflex this time around because to install vinyl they would have to remove the roof rack mount tabs and it always seems to break from my experience whenever its removed. Also vinyl seemed to scratch easier and lose that high gloss look over time. High gloss Autoflex for the roof costs $400. If you were from or near NYC I would highly recommend this guy called prodipper. http://prodippernyc.com

Getting a bit off topic, but I'm half-seriously considering having all the lower flat black trim wrapped, including the lower rear bumper...for some reason, it visually bothers me more on my current red CX-5 than on my last white one....The Signature has glossy black external trim in various other places, so maybe a glossy black wrap might look cohesive and not over the top....at least it isn't a commitment like actually painting that trim body-color or glossy black, and I won't have to worry about rock dings or scratches as much (since that's probably the reason why it is left flat and basic to start).

Getting a bit off topic, but I'm half-seriously considering having all the lower flat black trim wrapped, including the lower rear bumper...for some reason, it visually bothers me more on my current red CX-5 than on my last white one....The Signature has glossy black external trim in various other places, so maybe a glossy black wrap might look cohesive and not over the top....at least it isn't a commitment like actually painting that trim body-color or glossy black, and I won't have to worry about rock dings or scratches as much (since that's probably the reason why it is left flat and basic to start).

i think that would look pretty cohesive as well!
It's never been done before, you might be the first to do it, if so, i can't wait to see the results.
For me the gloss black front grill and roof made a HUGE impact on the cx-5

i think that would look pretty cohesive as well!
It's never been done before, you might be the first to do it, if so, i can't wait to see the results.
For me the gloss black front grill and roof made a HUGE impact on the cx-5

Thank you! I'm be surprised if someone hasn't already thought and even done this. I've seen wrapping done on several of a "themed" special edition CX-5s which includes the standard flat black plastic lower parts, and it usually IMHO makes the car look better put together. But those are always wrapped to match the overall body color, or perhaps they might be aftermarket body kit parts.

Keep us posted, can't wait to see what you'll do!

Thank you! I'm be surprised if someone hasn't already thought and even done this. I've seen wrapping done on several of a "themed" special edition CX-5s which includes the standard flat black plastic lower parts, and it usually IMHO makes the car look better put together. But those are always wrapped to match the overall body color, or perhaps they might be aftermarket body kit parts.

So I got 2018 Sport customised a little bit like this *range rover* style this week.

Original alloys powder coated gloss black, new red callipers and wing mirrors wrapped gloss black.

https://ibb.co/7yR7mkr
https://ibb.co/6Y8d8tL

I really like the look. Though it*s only been two days and already three people have said the car looks like a Panda.

Looks great! I really like the rims with the contrast of the calipers, and the subtle yet effective mirror wrapping.

Black and white may invoke pandas, but there's nothing in terms of the shape of the CX-5 nor your mods that suggests a panda bear. As the somewhat old saying goes: Haters gonna hate. (wiggle) My 2016 white CX-5 was nicknamed The Albino Rhino, and I think a rhino is a much better representation of the stance of this vehicle.

The wheels look great. Mazda should have done that. That would look great on any color.
Mirrors look good but it's funny to me as body colored mirrors are usually something people want.

Pandas are cute anyway right? So I don*t think I*m bothered by that description. Everyone loves pandas.

I do agree that the wheels should have been black. The oem alloys are actually quite nice, but I don*t know why they were grey. Plus I don*t really like the diamond cutting. But all black and gloss makes a surprising difference to the look of the car. I*m still not overly convinced by the wrapped wing mirrors, but if I don*t get used to them, I can easily revert back to white.

Pandas are cute anyway right? So I don*t think I*m bothered by that description. Everyone loves pandas.

I do agree that the wheels should have been black. The oem alloys are actually quite nice, but I don*t know why they were grey. Plus I don*t really like the diamond cutting. But all black and gloss makes a surprising difference to the look of the car. I*m still not overly convinced by the wrapped wing mirrors, but if I don*t get used to them, I can easily revert back to white.

great job man,
i couldn't see the roof, did you make it black as well?
I wish the US would make the side markers clear color and not the dang yellow we have.

Is it possible they just did a wrap on the top section? rather than true paint? (or just the bottom)

eh not for me. Back in the 80's and 90's it was common for "base model" cars to have black plastic mirrors and bumpers, while the higher trim levels had those pieces in matching body color. So to me, blacking out the whole mirror housing when the paint is a different color makes the car look cheaper.

It*s quite interesting you think that. I*ve started to notice that many of the higher end sporty style cars have this. Since I*ve had mine done I*ve noticed it a lot on BMW*s, Range Rovers and Mercedes. The guy who wrapped them says he does it a lot too - mostly on BMW*s and Audi*s he says. I guess it*s probably an easy and cheap way to customise a car.

Back