Thoughts in the following offer:

2018 CX-5 AWD Touring with Preferred Package, Machine Gray
MSRP - $30,010
Sale - $27,500
Customer Cash - $1,000
Tax, Titl, Lic - $2,420

OTD - $28,920
Not Financed through Mazda
Free Apple Carplay upgrade when it comes available.

Could I improve? Thoughts?

That is not a bad deal. I would get the CarPlay deal in writing but otherwise a good deal. And also, with the 2018 CX-5 Touring, I think you get the 19" wheels as opposed to the 17" that will be on the 2019 cars (I may be wrong about that).

That is not a bad deal. I would get the CarPlay deal in writing but otherwise a good deal. And also, with the 2018 CX-5 Touring, I think you get the 19" wheels as opposed to the 17" that will be on the 2019 cars (I may be wrong about that).
Yes 18 CX-5 Touring comes with 19 GT wheels, but 19 CX-5 Touring has changed back to 17 wheels.

Who here bought in 2016 with the same promise?

If you have a commanders knob in your CX5 and are ready to do a DIY its a $160 part you can buy now. USB ports are upgraded to 2.1Amps for faster charging and has whatever needed for AA / CP.
Literally on some of our partner websites you can buy it now. For the dealer the part price is probably $40. So they threw that in without an issue.

⋯ I would take an 18 with CD. There are people posting 35+ mpg on trips, 45+ for Mzd6. There is a certain steady state style of driving that can yield really good rewards - be it mpg or more miles / tank which for CX5 are on the lower end.
Your credit to cylinder deactivation on high mpg during the long road trip from 2018 CX-5 is unfounded. EPA fuel economy estimates have only 0~1 mpg advantage over 2017 CX-5s without cylinder deactivation. In addition, Mazdas new cylinder deactivation is more effective at low speeds, and it can only be activated between 25 mph and 50 mph. You think those who posted good mpg numbers were driving under 50 mph on the highway?

Your credit to cylinder deactivation on high mpg during the long road trip from 2018 CX-5 is unfounded. EPA fuel economy estimates have only 0~1 mpg advantage over 2017 CX-5*s without cylinder deactivation. In addition, Mazda*s new cylinder deactivation is more effective at low speeds, and it can only be activated between 25 mph and 50 mph. You think those who posted good mpg numbers were driving under 50 mph on the highway?

"There is a certain steady state style of driving that can yield really good rewards" -EPA is just that - a set cycle. Your driving pattern can lie totally opposite to EPA and hence ymmv. Btw got 33 mpg again this morning. I havent aired my Altimax beyond 36 but am willing to pump to 38 and evaluate.

"There is a certain steady state style of driving that can yield really good rewards" -EPA is just that - a set cycle. Your driving pattern can lie totally opposite to EPA and hence ymmv. Btw got 33 mpg again this morning. I havent aired my Altimax beyond 36 but am willing to pump to 38 and evaluate.

I forget...are you FWD or AWD?

Yeah but those who posted great gas mileage were from their long highway trip. You can say that's because the good tail wind、long down hill、good driving style、very high tire pressure、or even that particular engine is built extremely efficient. But it's just not from cylinder deactivation because Mazda's CD simply is not functioning above 50 mph by design!

Yeah but those who posted great gas mileage were from their long highway trip. You can say that's because the good tail wind*long down hill*good driving style*very high tire pressure*or even that particular engine is built extremely efficient. But it's just not from cylinder deactivation because Mazda's CD simply is not functioning above 50 mph by design!

Can you post a link that substantiates your 25 - 50 mph claim. I've seen you mention this before but i'm curious as to where you got that info. Thanks.

Interesting but that's just a 3rd party write-up referring to how CD works in general, not specific to Mazda. Has Mazda put anything out declaring that all CD ceases above 50 mph?

Interesting but that's just a 3rd party write-up referring to how CD works in general, not specific to Mazda. Has Mazda put anything out declaring that all CD ceases above 50 mph?
I read it somewhere and I couldnt find the link. And Xeler8ing once posted an image of owners manual from his Australian 2018 CX-5 with description of Mazdas cylinder deactivation.

Their aim with cylinder deactivation is to operate at sustained cruising speed between 25mph and 50mph (40km/h to 80km/h).

Not designed to work at idle or other speeds outside the above

Yeah, I have heard it from a number of sources as well. It is one reason why I think it won't have any major reliability issues, as in reality, it is a feature that is rarely activated. With that said, if you live in suburbia, you will cruise around between 30-40 MPH a lot and this could impact your MPG there. However, if you look on Fuelly, the MPG for the 2017 and 2018 models are nearly identical.

Back