Wished my CX-5 worked as well as my Yeti

OBDII is a godsend.

(from Wiki)
1994: Motivated by a desire for a statewide emissions testing program, the CARB issues the OBD-II specification and mandates that it be adopted for all cars sold in California starting in model year 1996 (see CCR Title 13 Section 1968.1 and 40 CFR Part 86 Section 86.094).

OBD2 killed the American FD3S. Europe and Japan got to see that car until 2002 with upgrade after upgrade, but not the US because of OBD2. '95 was the last we saw of it because Mazda didn't want to water it down any further to pass our smog tests.

*Commiefornia, knows how to party*

91bVtmePpAL._SX425_.jpg

Last time I lived there (Fairfield/Solano County) I was driving a 4wd 2007 Ford Escape V6. Which did serve me well.

OBD2 killed the American FD3S. Europe and Japan got to see that car until 2002 with upgrade after upgrade, but not the US because of OBD2. '95 was the last we saw of it because Mazda didn't want to water it down any further to pass our smog tests.

I've worked on OBD2 cars, and non-OBD2, and I'll take OBD2 every time.

Yeah the MSRP for Mazda Value oil filter PE01-14-302A-MV is $5.95. Most Mazda dealers sell OEM parts at MSRP to retail but some greedy ones add 10%~25% markup to MSRP. My Mazda dealer sells OEM parts at MSRP to retail, and 20%~25% off MSRP to business accounts.

My brakes cost me $430ish for all the parts from my dealer. Front and rear pads, Front and rear rotors. Tax included.

Yeah the MSRP for Mazda Value oil filter PE01-14-302A-MV is $5.95. Most Mazda dealers sell OEM parts at MSRP to retail but some greedy ones add 10%~25% markup to MSRP. My Mazda dealer sells OEM parts at MSRP to retail, and 20%~25% off MSRP to business accounts.

I went to a local Mazda dealer this morning looking for an oil filter. I asked the parts guy if he had any Thailand built filters, he said yes, he usually keeps 1 or 2 around which peaked my curiosity. I asked them if they can still be ordered and he said yes, just let him know when and how many and he'd order them. It was 2 bucks more than the Value filter but they're worth it.
Also had contact with these folks, they assure me they have the Thailand filters.
https://www.prioritymazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-oil-filter-1wpe14302

Last edited:
I went to a local Mazda dealer this morning looking for an oil filter. I asked the parts guy if he had any Thailand built filters, he said yes, he usually keeps 1 or 2 around which peaked my curiosity. I asked them if they can still be ordered and he said yes, just let him know when and how many and he'd order them. It was 2 bucks more than the Value filter but they're worth it.
Also had contact with these folks, they assure me they have the Thailand filters.
https://www.prioritymazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-oil-filter-1wpe14302
Every Mazda dealer can get "Standard" line of OEM maintenance parts such as 1WPE-14-302 Thai filter which is made by Denso with excellent quality. It'd be my choice of OEM oil filter after my stock of Tokyo Roki Japanese filter runs out. I'm not interested getting Mazda's "Value" line maintenance parts even though they're cheaper. Especially from your experience of using PE01-14-302A-MV Mexican filter where the quality seems to be inconsistent. Be aware though Thai filter has a bit smaller outer diameter and the "cap" oil filter wrench I use for Japanese filter wouldn't work anymore.

I can never understand why Mazda created "Value" line maintenance parts. Mazda is the only auto maker in the US offering a second line of OEM maintenance parts by manufacture with lower price and different quality. People who are interested in OEM maintenance parts are looking for the best possible quality, and price is not the subject unless it's outrageous!

Back