Motive power brake bleeder adapter for 2016 CX-9

:
'16 CX-9, '19 GTI
Does anyone the correct Motive power bleeder adapter for a 2016 CX-9? I measure the inner diameter of the master cylinder cap at about 1.8" (1 51/64") with three prongs, but I don't see that on Motive's website. Thanks!

I know it has been months... I have the same question.

There is always the universal cap that could be fitted to work (butterfly nut tightens the chains attached to two bolt hooks)

but I also want to know if there is an adapter that is specified for the 2016 cx-9

I contacted Motive and they recommended the 1118. Unfortunately, it didn't work. It blew off before reaching full pressure, so I returned it. I haven't tried the universal adapter. If you try it, I'd love to know whether it works. I recall the bottom of the master cylinder slopes, so the chains might have difficulty staying in place, but I'm not near the car to check right now.

Thanks for the reply.

I just fitted the universal adapter with the chain and it held pressure. I did 15psi and it didn't lose pressure. Since the brake reservoir is small I kept only 5 links of the chain between the two hooks at the area just below the reservoir cap and was able to tighten snug to hold pressure. Didn't have to deal with the sloped section. I plan to do the brake fluid tomorrow using this.

I am able to use the universal adapter on the 2016 cx 9 but am concerned tightening a chain around the plastic brake reservoir... I have been tightening just enough to hold pressure (around 15 psi). Anyway if anyone was able to buy a direct fit adapter for the 2016 cx 9, I'd rather go with that solution. Please post if found one. Thanks.

(Apparently, adapter 1118 is not the right adapter for the 2016 cx 9)

Motive's application guide now says the 1118 adapter has been updated to fit 1.8" openings. Has anyone tried it?

For what it's worth I just went into the garage and tried the 0117 Motive adapter on my 2008 cx9 and no dice. Need a larger diameter adapter. I just did the Brakes on my Altima and was hoping the 0117 would also work on my CX9 but I will have to get a different adapter next time I need to bleed.

To answer my own question

Motive's application guide now says the 1118 adapter has been updated to fit 1.8" openings. Has anyone tried it?

I went ahead and ordered the 1118 adapter and it worked. When I first test fit it, it wouldn't hold pressure. I could hear a slow, but steady air leak where the adapter screwed onto the master cylinder even with the thicker gasket. So I was planning to just keep pumping it up. But later when I actually did the job, it held pressure. It might be that I didn't have it fully screwed on the first time or maybe a little bit of brake fluid at the mating point sealed it. Whatever the case, 1118 fit and held pressure up to 15 psi for me.

A few observations:
1. Use the thicker gasket. You'll have to press down on the adapter while turning it to secure it. To avoid damaging the master cylinder, you'll want to have one hand under the master cylinder when you're pressing down on the adapter.
2. I had virtually no air bubbles at the two rear calipers and at the front driver's side caliper. The front passenger's side caliper, however, had a steady stream of air bubbles. Both my wife and I have always felt the brakes were a little soft. Maybe that's why. I haven't driven it yet to see.
3. I don't put any brake fluid in the Motive unit. I only use it to create pressure, which means I have watch the master cylinder reservoir carefully to make sure it never runs out of fluid. The first time I was re-filling the master cylinder, I couldn't see the level of the fluid, so I overfilled. Oops. If you use the Motive unit only for pressure, pour the fresh brake fluid in the master cylinder nice and slow, and have rags or paper towels underneath.
4. I read lots of mixed info about whether to disconnect the battery for some reason related to the ABS. I didn't disconnect it. When I previously flushed the brake fluid out of our 2011 Subaru Outback, I didn't disconnect the battery and it all seemed fine. Hopefully, that's true here. If you KNOW that I should have disconnected the battery or done something else, please let me know. In other words, don't bother to chime in unless you know because you're a Mazda tech or you've seen it in the service manual, not because you read about it in some forum or on a random Youtube video.
5. I bled in the following order: RR, LR, RF, LF. I understand the the CX-9 probably has a diagonally split circuit, so RR, LF, LR, RF might be better, but I didn't notice anything problematic with the sequence that I used.

All the usual caveats about your mileage may vary, blah, blah, blah.

Good luck!

I know this is an old thread but I recently bought the Motive Brake Bleeder with the euro adapter (1100) for Porsche and want to use the bleeder on my 2011 CX-9. Does 1118 fit?

1118 fits on 2012 with the thicker washer although there seems to a slow leak. was able to bleed change out brake fluid with no issues.Use the thicker washer.

Last edited:
I ended up getting the 1118 and it worked great with the thicker washer on a 2011 Mazda CX-9. No leak at all for me.

Back