one year maintenance schedule question

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
23 Kia Stinger GT Elite
Hi folks,

My 2017 6 is now one year old, and of course I'm getting the sales pitch from my dealership that I 'need" to bring it in for it's one year maintenance stuff.
I don't drive it much, and it has not seen winter driving yet (was in Florida last winter), and so far it's performing well.
I also only have 11,500 kms on it (about 7K miles), and only has 2K since the last oil change.
They still want me to bring it in for another oil change, as well as brake maintenance and other god-knows-what BS.
The charge will be $250.00.
I just can't see the point in all this.
Is it worth it, or even necessary at this point? What are the warranty rules if I don't bother with this?
Is it just a cash grab from the dealer? That's kind of what I'm thinking here.
Thoughts?
Thanks.

Well, I guess I should have posted in the CX-5 section.
The Mazda 6 forum on here is pretty dead.
Oh well.

I wouldn't bring it in. Brake fluid only needs to be flushed every two years in my opinion. If I was doing autocross or track days I'd change it every year or twice a year. The oil is too fresh to bother changing. I'd wait until 10k for the oil change. At 7k miles it should need nothing just because it's 1 year old. Find a better dealer.

I have a dealer that's about ten minutes away, and that's where I did the last oil change. This is not the dealer I purchased it from though.
The same close-by dealer that did the oil change is the one now bugging me for the one year service. I'm in their data base.

Funny enough, I haven't heard squat from the dealer I bought it from.

The dealership near me opened up just before I bought my car, and I get the feeling they are struggling for business.
The few times I've been there, it's been deserted, and the service bays are empty.
I think my next service will be at the purchase dealership.

$250 for what? Mazda's oil changes are pretty cheap and may dealers used Castrol oil and you will get a $25-30 dealer check every 4- months or so. My CX-5 and Mazda 3 are never more than $40.

I would hold off and only do the scheduled Mazda maintainence.

I found the following blurb in the 2017 6 Mazda Canada Owner's Manual:

"To continue warranty eligibility and to protect your investment, it is your responsibility to properly maintain your vehicle according to factory recommended schedules outlined in this manual. As part of this you must keep your maintenance records, receipts, repair orders and any other documents as evidence this maintenance was performed. You must present these documents, should any warranty coverage disagreement occur. Failure to do so can result in your warranty being voided either in whole or in part.

This evidence may consist of the following:

The Mazda Scheduled Maintenance Record, refer to the Warranty Booklet, must be completely filled out showing mileage, repair order number, date for each service, and signed by a qualified automotive service technician who service vehicles.

Original copies of repair orders or other receipts that include the mileage and date the vehicle was serviced. Each receipt should be signed by a qualified automotive service technician.

For self maintenance, a statement that you completed the maintenance yourself, displaying mileage and the date the work was performed. Also, receipts for the replacement parts (fluid, filters, etc.) indicating the date and mileage must accompany this statement."

So what I'd do is keep a handwritten log of self-performed maintenance/inspection and part replacement. Use that as "evidence" if you need to use the warranty, and you should be golden.

Buzzman,
I have services done at dealerships. However, I take the following steps:
1) never buy into the ??K mile services.
2) itemize the services you need. Oil changes, etc. Not the 5k or 10k sevices.
3) I am sure you can find coupon for oil change (I have it done every 5k miles, which is easy to remember).
If you cannot find coupon (on their websites), you can try Mazda Canada official website. On MazdaUSA.com, we can find coupon from every dealers.
Oil change (synthetic) usually runs about $70 USD. With good coupon, I had it done for $50 once.
4) ??-point inspection is usually free at dealerships. No one pays for that.
5) Tire rotation? You can have it done at Walmart for $15.
6) My dealers wash my car after services for free.
7) Having services done at dealerships has its advantage. Mazda tends to be more willing to help should something fails out of warranty (barely).

$250 for what? Mazda's oil changes are pretty cheap and may dealers used Castrol oil and you will get a $25-30 dealer check every 4- months or so. My CX-5 and Mazda 3 are never more than $40.

I would hold off and only do the scheduled Mazda maintainence.

The only thing the service advisor could come up with as a selling point was a brake service, consisting mostly of just lubing the pins.
The rest was just an oil change and tire rotation.
I definitely didn't go for it, and can't justify why else the price would be so high.
Most of it is just "inspect" this and "inspect" that. Garbage in my mind.

Back