Do you want your cx5 to be better?

Does the new 2.5l Toyota NA engine have 222HP? or is that just the hybrid model or both? I looked into the new Rav4 hybrid and it has near 50-50 weight distribution. Who do they think they are ...Porsche? LOL

Just the hybrid.

Gasburner only should be low 200s. Thermal efficiency is 40%. To put that in perspective, Skyactiv 2.5 is around 29%.

Gasburner should be lighter than the hybrid, will have 8 speed, real torque vectoring, as noted near 50/50 dist...it should be potent.

Just the hybrid.

Gasburner only should be low 200s. Thermal efficiency is 40%. To put that in perspective, Skyactiv 2.5 is around 29%.

Gasburner should be lighter than the hybrid, will have 8 speed, real torque vectoring, as noted near 50/50 dist...it should be potent.

Hmmm most people may not realize that Toyota is actually putting skyactiv version 2 on the roads before Mazda does :). This is a good thing as Toyota only puts out test approved technology. Meaning skyactiv 2 should be a successful platform.

That said Mazda tends to put higher specced (slightly) base engines than Toyota historically. If the trend continues I'd expect 225 HP with mid-model refresh to 227 HP or so. If Toyota goes DI + port injected I hope Mazda follows suit.

Going back to that hybrid Rav4. Looks really good on paper.

On paper..... Ill wait to see how it drives. Thats usually where Toyota struggles. Im sure itll sell well though just because its a Toyota.

Hmmm most people may not realize that Toyota is actually putting skyactiv version 2 on the roads before Mazda does :). This is a good thing as Toyota only puts out test approved technology. Meaning skyactiv 2 should be a successful platform.

That said Mazda tends to put higher specced (slightly) base engines than Toyota historically. If the trend continues I'd expect 225 HP with mid-model refresh to 227 HP or so. If Toyota goes DI + port injected I hope Mazda follows suit.

Going back to that hybrid Rav4. Looks really good on paper.
Where did you get this impression that Toyotas new Dynamic Force is a Mazdas SkyActiv-G version 2?

The concept、design、and features are totally different between the two other than 13:1 high compression ratio.

SAE International said:
These are the latest Toyota gasoline ICEs to offer levels of brake thermal efficiency (BTE) (40%~41%) approaching that of light-duty diesels. They follow a 1.8L VVT in the 2015 Prius that used a large-volume exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system, and the 2.5-L four used in the Camry Hybrid.

A heat engines thermal efficiency is the ratio between the useful output of a device and the input, in energy terms. The thermal efficiency must be between 0% and 100% when expressed as a percentage. Due to factors including friction, heat loss, etc., thermal efficiencies typically are much less than 100%. A typical automotive gasoline ICE operates at around 25%.

Toyotas recent success is achieved, not by breakthrough like Mazdas gasoline-compression-ignition SpCCI engine, but by relentless nibbling away at waste.

Toyota unveils more new gasoline ICEs with 40% thermal efficiency

Toyotas New 2.5-liter Dynamic Force Engine

Toyotas Dynamic Force Engine Tech Will Spread Across Lineup - Tech will come to V-6, V-8 engines

Also I have to say I cant agree that Mazda tends to put higher specced (slightly) base engines than Toyota historically. Before Mazda came out SkyActiv-G, the horsepower and fuel efficiency on its 2.5L were way behind Toyotas 2.5L and most others in the same period.

Also I have to say I can*t agree that *Mazda tends to put higher specced (slightly) base engines than Toyota historically.* Before Mazda came out SkyActiv-G, the horsepower and fuel efficiency on its 2.5L were way behind Toyota*s 2.5L and most others in the same period.

And for 5 years or so now, who had anything out that was competing with the overall SkyActiv platform? None in that segment of CUVs as far as I am concerned, until recently. It's about time they caught up or surpassed Mazda. One can only hope Mazda keeps up, though color me skeptical on Mazda's future in that respect.

Also...I swear to god these are the RAV4 forums these days. Feels like every thread is talking RAV4 lol.

Last edited:
Where did you get this impression that Toyota*s new Dynamic Force is a Mazda*s SkyActiv-G version 2?

The concept*design*and features are totally different between the two other than 13:1 high compression ratio.

Also I have to say I can*t agree that *Mazda tends to put higher specced (slightly) base engines than Toyota historically.* Before Mazda came out SkyActiv-G, the horsepower and fuel efficiency on its 2.5L were way behind Toyota*s 2.5L and most others in the same period.

Oh Okay I stand corrected. The Dynamic Force engine is high compression with Atkinson cycle features but with other improvements. A more refined Skyactiv 1 if you will. The Skyactiv 2 is HCCI and totally uncharted. Toyota went the more conservative approach in improving the high compression engine platform.

I was referring to SkyActiv-G period and after. For 2.5 Skyactivs the Mazda was 185hp while Toyota was 178hp for a while. Looks like The 2018 Toyota 2.5 is 203hp. I don't see why Skyactiv 2 won't beat that.

And for 5 years or so now, who had anything out that was competing with the overall SkyActiv platform? None in that CUV segment as far as I am concerned, until recently. It's about time they caught up or surpassed Mazda. One can only hope Mazda keeps up, though color me skeptical on Mazda's future in that respect.

Also...I swear to god these are the RAV4 forums these days. Feels like every thread is talking RAV4 lol.
Because it's another break-through in the ICE. Everyone interested in automotive design would be excited just like when Mazda's SkyActiv Technology was introduced in 2012.

The key here is the high thermal efficiency on Toyotas Dynamic Force is achieved by relentless nibbling away at waste. The final product should be very reliable. SkyActiv-X on the other hand is a brand-new product which is based on a nice HCCI, Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition,"concept". And later the product has to be changed to SPCCI, Spark-Controlled Compression Ignition, with added spark ignition and super charger. A brand-new design based on a changing concept is not a good bet for long-term reliability from its initial production IMO.

Oh Okay I stand corrected. The Dynamic Force engine is high compression with Atkinson cycle features but with other improvements. A more refined Skyactiv 1 if you will. The Skyactiv 2 is HCCI and totally uncharted. Toyota went the more conservative approach in improving the high compression engine platform.

I was referring to SkyActiv-G period and after. For 2.5 Skyactivs the Mazda was 185hp while Toyota was 178hp for a while. Looks like The 2018 Toyota 2.5 is 203hp. I don't see why Skyactiv 2 won't beat that.
Toyota's Dynamic Force simply is not refined SkyActiv 1. It has nothing to do with Mazda's SkyActiv-G engines. it's based on 2015 Prius and the 2.5-L I4 used in the Camry Hybrid. Those Toyota engineers would feel it's an insult if people would refer their Dynamic Force I4's are related to SkyActiv Technology. ;)

Toyota's Dynamic Force simply is not refined SkyActiv 1. It has nothing to do with Mazda's SkyActiv-G engines. it's based on 2015 Prius and the 2.5-L I4 used in the Camry Hybrid. Those Toyota engineers would feel it's an insult if people would refer their Dynamic Force I4's are related to SkyActiv Technology. ;)

Pretty sure Toyota engineers go to Mazda engineers pizza partys. Well at least now they will. At any rate Mazda is going to increase Skyactiv 2's power and efficiency rating over Dynamic force. If they do then gotta give them credit.

Now for the US spec Mazda2/ err Scion...I wonder which engine it will get.

What is "SkyActiv 2"? Nowhere in any literature does that term exist that I can find.

There is:

SkyActiv-G
SkyActiv-X
SkyActiv-D
SkyActiv-D 2.2
SkyActiv-Drive
SkyActiv-MT
SkyActiv-Body
SkyActiv-CNG
SkyActiv-Hybrid
SkyActiv-R

But I can't find "SkyActiv 2".

Its not out yet is my understanding. Toyota and Mazda are in partnership so Im sure they will be sharing a lot.

Back