Daytime running lights - how?

Toyo

:
2018 CX-5 GT+PP AWD Snowflake White Pearl Mica
I dont know if I have a problem with my car or if this is a standard thing with 2018 CX5s, but I am not able to only have daytime running lights on.

Out of the 4 options on my light control, the 3rd one which is supposed to turn the tail, parking and dashboard lights on, is the one that has my daytimes on when the vehicle is parked. But as soon as I move (transmission in D) the headlights turn on too. In Auto mode, I never have only daytimes on either.

How do I have only daytimes on?

The other weird things is that once I have my lights on and the car is moving, no matter what I do with the controller on the inside, the light on the outside doesnt change. Even when I place the switch to OFF, my light stays on if the car is moving. Is this normal? Ive never seen a car not turn its lights off when toggled to off setting.

Its been debated here, DRL only is not possible. There was an owner from Texas who bought a kit from Japan that would accentuate the DRLs. But in short what you see in 'P' and 'D' will never be the same. Mazda keeps the headlights turned on. Last thing to do is ask your dealer if its possible. Find that kit from Japan / Australia and see if that works.

In other words, your headlights are your DRLs. Those beautiful accent lights are overwhelmed by the blinding headlights. You can either get used to it, try Kaps suggestion, or search the forum for the instructions on how to disable to DRLs. It was posted just recently.

Many of us were surprised to find that our 2017+ models were designed that way. Sad.

I dont know if I have a problem with my car or if this is a standard thing with 2018 CX5s, but I am not able to only have daytime running lights on.

Out of the 4 options on my light control, the 3rd one which is supposed to turn the tail, parking and dashboard lights on, is the one that has my daytimes on when the vehicle is parked. But as soon as I move (transmission in D) the headlights turn on too. In Auto mode, I never have only daytimes on either.

The other weird things is that once I have my lights on and the car is moving, no matter what I do with the controller on the inside, the light on the outside doesnt change. Even when I place the switch to OFF, my light stays on if the car is moving. Is this normal? Ive never seen a car not turn its lights off when toggled to off setting.
In addition to what shadonoz and Kaps have said, the headlights always on serving as part of DRLs is only for US gen-2 CX-5. Yeah, its sad.

The best and easiest way to utilize that beautiful accent LED as the DRL is to turn off the DRL function, and turn your headlight switch to parking light position and driving. In fact there're several members claimed thiss what they do.

In addition to what shadonoz and Kaps have said, the headlights always on serving as part of DRLs is only for US gen-2 CX-5. Yeah, it*s sad.

The best and easiest way to utilize that beautiful accent LED as the DRL is to turn off the DRL function, and turn your headlight switch to parking light position and driving. In fact there're several members claimed this*s what they do.

Just be aware that when you do it that way you lose the automatic headlights. Not a big deal, cause you can switch to Auto when you fire up the headlights. Not unlike what we used to do: turn them on manually. :)

Although I really dislike the intensity of the DRLs [the way it looks], I like the fact that people definitely see you coming. They're probably cussing you, too, for blinding them.

Take your pick.

I don*t know if I have a problem with my car or if this is a standard thing with 2018 CX5*s, but I am not able to only have daytime running lights on.

The other weird things is that once I have my lights on and the car is moving, no matter what I do with the controller on the inside, the light on the outside doesn*t change. Even when I place the switch to OFF, my light stays on if the car is moving. Is this normal? I*ve never seen a car not turn it*s lights off when toggled to off setting.

DRL for USA/Canada is full headlights on

Thank you guys. So who actually has this disabled?
Okay I just tried and I am not able to get it to work. Headlights still keep turning on

Last edited:
Okay I just tried and I am not able to get it to work. Headlights still keep turning on

The conventional wisdom is that you may have to try it several times to get it to take.

New owner here, and new member. I did this procedure yesterday and got it to work on the 3rd attempt. Have to do it all fairly quickly, and remember to go from the off position, through auto to the next setting when doing so during both of the 5 activations of the switch before and after hazards.

You need to perform the instructions on how to turn the off a few times

That is so dumb how the 9 has it the way y'all want it but the 5 doesn't. Wonder if the next 9 will look like the 5. I saw a 9 just today and at first thought: "Oh, a 5 owner figured out how to.... oh, that's a 9...."
It looks so much cooler. #FailMazda

Last edited:
You need to perform the instructions on how to turn the off a few times
New 2021 CX-5 GT. Purchased in Canada but it's my understanding all the NA vehicles are the same (?). I've gotten the DRL disable to work following the on/off/hazard procedure, verified by driving back and forth a bit in the alley and the headlights did not kick in. However, after turning the car off and going back to it, the DRL are once again on (twice now). Any ideas or do you think it really takes performing the on/off/hazard procedure multiple times for it to stick or to actually get it right.. Prefer the halo-only and it is visible enough at the distance it needs to be for safety.

New 2021 CX-5 GT. Purchased in Canada but it's my understanding all the NA vehicles are the same (?). I've gotten the DRL disable to work following the on/off/hazard procedure, verified by driving back and forth a bit in the alley and the headlights did not kick in. However, after turning the car off and going back to it, the DRL are once again on (twice now). Any ideas or do you think it really takes performing the on/off/hazard procedure multiple times for it to stick or to actually get it right.. Prefer the halo-only and it is visible enough at the distance it needs to be for safety.
DRLs in Canada is mandatory. You can’t turn the DRLs off via the official instruction posted here in this forum as Mazda doesn’t let you do it due to the legal issue.

I've done reasonable searching but can't see *specifically* where someone with a 2017 CX-5, U.S. Model was able to disable the headlights as DRL's, using the published or transcribed instructions where you cycle the light stalk and emergency flasher button in a sequence. I've tried it half a dozen times with no success.

Back