Heated Mirrors - 2018 CX-5 Touring

SRCJR221

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 AWD
Im looking to get heated side mirrors in my touring. Does anybody know of any oem parts and installation?

I was reminded, again, this past week after a night of freezing rain how absurd it is at that a mid-level AWD vehicle of this caliber, in the Northeast U.S., w/ heated seats, and all sorts of other radar tech (rendered useless when the car is covered with a 1/4" frozen skin), does not have heated outside mirrors. The kind of ice that is one with all surfaces and can't be scraped off, has to melt off. Epic fail Mazda. In this day-n-age of "safety everything", it was very difficult to merge onto the highway. It's 2019 and I had to revert back to the ways of driving a 65 Chevy...put the window down (that didn't really want to go down) and stick my head out so I could look left and behind in my blind spot to make sure it was clear of traffic running along at highway speeds. This is known as progress. Never even thought to check that it didn't have heated mirrors when I purchased. Haven't bought a car in I don't even now how long that didn't have them. 96 Stratus had them, 2000 Dodge truck had them. Both my wife's mid-level 2011 AWD SX4 and my 2010 mid-level AWD Kizashi have heated mirrors. Neither have heated seats though...but, we can see what's approaching while merging.

I gather by the lack of response here that it's not a practical, or, easily accomplished mod. Guessing it's also probably cost prohibitive due to all the other useless non-sense contained in the mirrors that would require a trip to a dealer to recalibrate who knows what after the presumably expensive parts swap. Assuming the wiring harness is there and capable. If not, that's a show-stopper.

Sigh...

It would have cost over $500 to have dealer install. I ultimately decided not to give Mazda anymore of my money.

I live in the Northeast as well and I totally agree that it was a fail on Mazda not to include this into their mid level CX-5.

That being said, I have a small ice scraper in my car which easily gets the ice off the mirrors.

It would have cost over $500 to have dealer install. I ultimately decided not to give Mazda anymore of my money.

I live in the Northeast as well and I totally agree that it was a fail on Mazda not to include this into their mid level CX-5.

That being said, I have a small ice scraper in my car which easily gets the ice off the mirrors.
The wiring for heated mirrors isnt there on CX-5 Touring. Theres no OEM accessory kit available either. I believe dealer also needs to reprogram some comfort module to make them work even if youve installed all the hardware. Its an expensive mod for sure.

If you move to Canada you get the heated mirrors and windshield on the GS (mid level) trim.

Not that, that helps you at all. But they turn on with the rear window defroster. If you're lucky the wiring would be at the mirror and you can swap the glass for one with the heating element in it. No idea if that's the case or not though.

Yes they turn on w/ the rear defroster in both of our older, less expensive, mid-level model Suzuki vehicles that actually have them. As well as a long ago 91 Explorer, 96 Stratus and 2000 Dodge Ram. Hey, it's got heated seats though! Ridiculous. Ditch all the radar non-sense that never works in winter weather, put the heated mirrors in and knock another $500 off the car's price. Boom, done.

Suspicions pretty much confirmed then. Thanks for the replies folks.

I'm a new CX-5 GT Reserve owner so am trolling a bunch of these threads just to get myself up to speed.

Your comments made me go look.

The 2018/2019 Grand Touring trim (GT, GT Reserve, GT Signature) comes with heated side mirrors. They turn on with the rear window defogger. They are not offered on the other CX-5 trims. Don't know about prior model years, only the 2018/2019 are on Mazda's website.

Funny, I don't see Rear Window Defogger specifically listed on any of the Trim descriptions. If you have a Rear Window Defogger, at least that would seem to mean that no special "programming" would be required...the heated mirrors are switched through that existing accessory. Now the question is do different trims have different wiring harnesses.

Last edited:
So this is confirmed then, that there is no existing wiring to the doors for heated mirrors? I was reading some threads for the previous-generation CX-5 and other models and they seemed to have the wiring into the door, but were missing the extra wires in the mirror harness.

I'm a new CX-5 GT Reserve owner so am trolling a bunch of these threads just to get myself up to speed.

Your comments made me go look.

The 2018/2019 Grand Touring trim (GT, GT Reserve, GT Signature) comes with heated side mirrors. They turn on with the rear window defogger. They are not offered on the other CX-5 trims. Don't know about prior model years, only the 2018/2019 are on Mazda's website.

Funny, I don't see Rear Window Defogger specifically listed on any of the Trim descriptions. If you have a Rear Window Defogger, at least that would seem to mean that no special "programming" would be required...the heated mirrors are switched through that existing accessory. Now the question is do different trims have different wiring harnesses.
I also need to know if different trim's have different harnesses. I have a 2016.5 sport with rear defrost. Curious to know if my harness for the side mirrors has power for heated mirrors.

So this is confirmed then, that there is no existing wiring to the doors for heated mirrors? I was reading some threads for the previous-generation CX-5 and other models and they seemed to have the wiring into the door, but were missing the extra wires in the mirror harness.
Is it confirmed? Is there a way to tell by looking at the harness plug inside the door? Does anyone have a wire schematic with the wire designations?

Back