Looking at a 2004 3 high mileage

Christoph

:
1990 Mazda Miata
Ill be looking to buy a 2004 Mazda 3 hatchback 5 spd with 194k miles. Needs passenger front hub assembly, minor rust, and a wobble at 70+ mph. My main concern is the higher mileage and from what Ive read online the timing chain doesnt need to be changed. But would it need to be done at that mileage? Anything to look for in particular when I check it out?

Is it a 2.0L or 2.3L? I haven't heard much about issues with the 2.0L, but some stories about the 2.3L's turning themselves to scrap.

Check the tire wear in the rear, especially the inside of the tread. I had to put adjustable control arms in mine just to get the alignment to factory specs, and my car had never been in an accident!

Personally, I love the 1st gen 3. Mine has about the same mileage as the one you're looking at. Good luck if you end up buying it!

I ended up getting it. It is the 2.3. The timing chain has been replaced, clutch has been replaced. It runs and drives fine. Just has a rattling noise from passenger area of engine. I believe its the passenger motor mount.

IMG_2375.jpg

Back