Mazda5 2.3. Can I pull the engine with the transmission still in the car?

WBubble

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5
Hi All, brand new to the forum - glad to be here. Just added my vehicles and made a donation, so here's the first bit of help I can use from the community.

I just picked up a 2008 Mazda5 with 95k miles, really cheap. It was super cheap because it had overheated (so hot the motor quit), then had water in the oil and no compression across all 4 cylinders. Owners donated it to a non-profit, yadda yadda now I have it, hoping it'll make a great first car for my son.

I'm an optimist so I started by checking timing, then pulled the cylinder head. #3 cylinder wall failed at the top and #2 piston is actually melted. She needs a motor. (nailbyt)

Currently I'm looking for a local used engine I can use, and taking my time removing components to expose the engine and automatic trans so I can do the transplant.

Here's my current question. Having removed almost everything, It appears that I might be able to pull the engine but leave the transmission in there, and wouldn't have to remove all of the trans related stuff, driveshafts and could leave most of the main wiring in place.

Does anyone know if I can separate the motor from the transmission in the car and pull the engine out the top? I have a workshop manual, which has great information on removing the entire assembly from the bottom of the car... So far the front end and radiator/fans are still in place. Not knowing how long the crank extends into the transmission, I'm very hesitant to unbolt the transmission unless I'm really confident it'll work.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Answering my own question in case its helpful to anyone in the future.

With the crank pulley, timing cover, head and intake manifold off, you can get the engine out with the automatic transmission still in the car.

You cannot, however, fit a long block back in, because of the torque converter. It ends up about 2 inches too short.

So now Im pulling the transmission to mate to the engine before putting the whole shebang back in through the top.

Got the new engine in and she runs great! I discovered that everythings identical about an automatic trans vs manual trans cars except the wiring harness so I had to use my old harness on the new engine since it came out of a manual 3.

Yup, always easier to pull the whole thing. :)

Awesome that you swapped it all out and got it working! Now add boost. :D

So I guess the 3 and 5 engines are identical then? Are the transmissions the same too?

More or less, yeah. The 5 is essentially a stretched 3 with sliding doors and an extra row of seats. The majority of the mechanicals are interchangeable.

So I can use a Mazda3 transmission in a Mazda5? Curious about what transmissions are compatible with the 2010 Mazda5?

Back