Mazda Mobile Start vs Remote Start

SRCJR221

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 AWD
I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 and just moved to RI. It gets pretty cold in the winter so I need to get a remote start. I could go third party like viper but I do have a credit with Mazda accessories.

Is mazda Mobile start worth it? Does anybody have experience with this?

Anyone holding out for Mazda to streamline and improve their MMS? I sent them a message to see if it's on their roadmap. I feel like it has a lot of potential, and the annual cost is annoying but does not deviate from industry standard.

it would be nice if they improved it.
but as of now, it's really really bad.

Recently i got to drive a Nissan Rogue, comes with factory remote start.
you can start the car with your OEM key fob and has secure take over so the engine does NOT turn off upon opening the door.
Why can't mazda offer this??

Anyone holding out for Mazda to streamline and improve their MMS? I sent them a message to see if it's on their roadmap. I feel like it has a lot of potential, and the annual cost is annoying but does not deviate from industry standard.

it would be nice if they improved it.
but as of now, it's really really bad.

Recently i got to drive a Nissan Rogue, comes with factory remote start.
you can start the car with your OEM key fob and has secure take over so the engine does NOT turn off upon opening the door.
Why can't mazda offer this??

My wife's Civic that is 2.5 years old has remote start built in, for no extra charge, and no subscription fees ever. It's built into the main fob so no extra fob needed, it does not shut off the engine when you open a door (although you still have to press Start with the brake down to officially start it and begin driving), and it will control some aspects of the climate system to pre-heat or cool. It's ridiculous what other manufacturers, including Mazda, are charging for these half-assed, flakey systems, and even then they are usually bolted on and not very integrated with the car, with lousy software for mobile integration.

I'm buying a new CX-5 but the lack of a good remote and/or mobile start system, without insane costs, is a big let down.

Well just keep in mind that subscription option is there because it has significantly farther range. You could start your Mazda parked in NYC from Oakland, Ca.

I*m getting a 19 Sig that comes with oem keyless start but no mobile/app start. Can it be added? Then does this require subscription that you*re talking about? If so, geez. $38k for a small suv and no mobile anything?

On my F150 I can start, unlock, see gas level and miles left to e, make service appointment, have it pour me a cold beer and make me a sammich, and more...the whole enchilada.

The more I find out the more I*m beginning to doubt this move.

Edit: just Googled it...$65/year!?!? Wtf?

Last edited:
for the mobile app start - yes. its paid.
for only remote start from a key, its one time cost only.
different cars, different features. Cant have all I guess.

I*m getting a 19 Sig that comes with oem keyless start but no mobile/app start. Can it be added? Then does this require subscription that you*re talking about? If so, geez. $38k for a small suv and no mobile anything?

On my F150 I can start, unlock, see gas level and miles left to e, make service appointment, have it pour me a cold beer and make me a sammich, and more...the whole enchilada.

The more I find out the more I*m beginning to doubt this move.

Edit: just Googled it...$65/year!?!? Wtf?

If you have FordPass - you have to pay after the free 5 years. They don't say how much, but the Smartlink add on for older cars is $17/month. No one is offering free cellular connectivity over the life of a vehicle yet, so the cost is there if you look for it.

I am a technology geek, but I see no real value in having my car connected like that. Even basic remote start is not worth it to me as my car is in my garage.

But Mazda Mobile start is junk from what i can tell. Reviewing the install guide, they still require some ugly big stick on antenna on the windshield. It looks like a cheap add-on accessory.

Are there any aftermarket remote start (not mobile start) options that ARE 2 WAY (ie get confirmation) where the fob will also unlock and allow driving the car?

Another way of asking - do you always have to carry two remotes?

If you have FordPass - you have to pay after the free 5 years. They don't say how much, but the Smartlink add on for older cars is $17/month. No one is offering free cellular connectivity over the life of a vehicle yet, so the cost is there if you look for it.

I am a technology geek, but I see no real value in having my car connected like that. Even basic remote start is not worth it to me as my car is in my garage.

But Mazda Mobile start is junk from what i can tell. Reviewing the install guide, they still require some ugly big stick on antenna on the windshield. It looks like a cheap add-on accessory.

Interesting info about FordPass. Thanks. I use it but not enough to pay even half of $17/month. So I guess there*s no free ride. I*m considering the BMW X1 vs the CX5 and the BMW Connected Drive is free for awhile then pay after as well.

Interesting info about FordPass. Thanks. I use it but not enough to pay even half of $17/month. So I guess there*s no free ride. I*m considering the BMW X1 vs the CX5 and the BMW Connected Drive is free for awhile then pay after as well.

And BMW announced an annual fee for carplay. Keep that in mind too.

Just read the reviews in the app store. That will tell you all you need. It works fine but is annoying.

Back