VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas

Thread: awful popping noises from steering when cold....

Registered Member

'02 Mazda Protege5

awful popping noises from steering when cold....

last few days it's been very cold (close to 32) and when I first go to turn the steering wheel if i rock it left to right i'll hear a loud crackling/popping noise. sounds almost like there's rocks in the steering gear... but then it goes away literally after I turn the wheel a few times and it's fine. wtf could this be? i'm gonna inspect it a bit more tomorrow. I've got new tie rod ends, inner and outer, although the other day i noticed the dust boot on the inner tie rod had come loose exposing the joint. but there were no rocks in it lol

also, I will hear a creaking noise now when I first accelerate. again this happens when it's cold out only and goes away when warmed up. I'm thinking that could be motor mounts, but they aren't that bad and two of them are brand new.

I gotta just start turning the radio up louder so i don't hear all these noises lmao.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by wrathofpaul View Post
    last few days it's been very cold (close to 32) and when I first go to turn the steering wheel if i rock it left to right i'll hear a loud crackling/popping noise. sounds almost like there's rocks in the steering gear... but then it goes away literally after I turn the wheel a few times and it's fine. wtf could this be? i'm gonna inspect it a bit more tomorrow. I've got new tie rod ends, inner and outer, although the other day i noticed the dust boot on the inner tie rod had come loose exposing the joint. but there were no rocks in it lol ..
    Sounds like CV joints to me...

Screenshot-2018-10-22-18-09-53
    The Diagram Dude

83 RX-7 Gsl, 2000 Mazda Protege LX, 2011 Mazda3 Sport i

Lmao sounds like strut mounts to me. He said he hears it under steering not under power. Mine has been making the same noise and I just fixed it by replacing the front struts with quick struts.

2002 mazda protege 5

My 85' 626 was making the same muffled popping sound it was the CV joints.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 mazda protege 5

Maybe try turning your steering wheel all the way to the right or left and drive slowly in a tight circle when you first start your car.
    If the popping seems to follow the rotation of the tires while your steering wheel isn't moving, then it's more likely the CV shafts.

If the popping only happens while turning the steering wheel, it's more likely the strut bearings.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

'02 Mazda Protege5

So it is def not the CV axles. I don't hear clicking when I turn PLUS I had both sides replaced last year and they still look fine. my money is on the strut mounts/bearings, good thing is I have brand new Monroe Quickstruts in my closet. Just gotta find the time to install them. all these noises go away after i have driven about 10 miles. maybe I'll try to get a video of the sound next time it happens. suspension noises suck because you can't be outside the car listening to it when you're driving lol

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by wrathofpaul View Post
    .... suspension noises suck because you can't be outside the car listening to it when you're driving lol
    You just need to get your little brother to help find the noise.. lol