Skyactiv Transmission Fluid Analysis Thread

There is another thread about AZ ATF, right beside ours. It has some responses.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-fz-lifetime-46k-uoa-2015-mazda-3#Post4886635

Good find! The analysis on the brand new FZ fluid is great data. Looks like the starting viscosity of the fluid is 44.1 SUS and 5.45 cSt. Comparing our UOA's to Blackstone's 43-51 SUS viscoity range makes it look like slipping below 43 is a big deal. Same scenario for their 5.1-7.9 cSt viscosity range. However, in reality it looks like the SUS viscosity of our used FZ fluid (42.1-42.9) is only a couple units below the starting viscosity of 44.1 after 50-70k miles of use. cST viscosity of our fluid is 4.83-5.08 vs 5.45 new.

For the wear metals, I haven't seen anything on what the acceptable levels would be for specifically the SkyActiv transmission. I just sent an e-mail to Mazda to see if they'd be able to share data or a table with that info. I'll post that later if they respond. In the meantime, I found a generic table from oilanalysis101.com. See the table below. The only wear metal I see creeping up into their "Abnormal" zone is the aluminum in Colorado's sample. The silicon contamination in all of our samples falls into the abnormal category.

ATLimits.png

Here is another source for reference. Check page 7 of this doc for the "rule of thumb" limits for different components including transmissions. They also state 50 as a limit for aluminum present: http://www.certifiedlabs.com/certified/vContent/4/documents/general/Oil_Analysis_Handbook.pdf

Wouldn't surprise me if a second sample after another +50k miles has lower wear metals as we likely got rid of the break in metals.

EDIT: Mazda already got back to me. They said the data I was looking for is available only through mazdaserviceinfo.com. If anybody has a subscription to it, Id greatly appreciate it if you could share any data on acceptable wear metal levels! :D

Last edited:
I was planning on doing a fluid analysis for my Mazda Cx 5 2014 also. I did a drain and fill at 79k/3.2 qt . I thus store a small 4oz sample. Should I send this sample, or after I drain/fill again then send. For those who wonder what does FZ "life time blue" look like at 79k .
3A2DYII.jpg

Last edited:
I was planning on doing a fluid analysis for my Mazda Cx 5 2014 also. I did a drain and fill at 79k/3.2 qt . I thus store a small 4oz sample. Should I send this sample, or after I drain/fill again then send.

Send out the sample from your first drain. That will give you the specifics on the condition of your transmission fluid at its current mileage. Diluting it with new fluid will not give you a reliable indicator of anything. You would be diluting your sample with what you know is pristine and clean fluid.

Last edited:
I did both of my CX-5s at 40K, one drain and fill. The oil looked like new one then.

Will do another drain and fill at 80K.

100k miles now. working great. No fluid change needed.

This communique is appreciated. Please do report back at 120K, 140K and keep all of us posted.

Yeah, I mean I am curious as well Uno.

That said, based off of the analysis I had on my 71k transmission fluid when I did those drain/fills, all I can say is that I am happy to have put new fluid in, and will continue to do so.

100k miles now. working great. No fluid change needed.

This communique is appreciated. Please do report back at 120K, 140K and keep all of us posted.

Yeah, I mean I am curious as well Uno.

That said, based off of the analysis I had on my 71k transmission fluid when I did those drain/fills, all I can say is that I am happy to have put new fluid in, and will continue to do so periodically.

Also, my driving has turned into primarily city over the past 2 years except on the weekends, so with that added stress/wear of the stop and go, I am definitely going to be keeping up on those things.

Last edited:
Forgot to post the side by side fluids. I know color does not tell you everything. But I do feel that "life time" wasn't ment for us to go pass 200k for example. I'll be doing a fluid analysis too. Feel that it is worth it, since I do plan to own more Mazda.
n1Vnllf.jpeg

Forgot to post the side by side fluids. I know color does not tell you everything. But I do feel that "life time" wasn't ment for us to go pass 200k for example. I'll be doing a fluid analysis too. Feel that it is worth it, since I do plan to own more Mazda.
n1Vnllf.jpeg
I'm pretty sure the fluid turns dark pretty quick as a blue fluid, so I agree the color probably doesn't matter as much.

I did 3 drain and fills of ATF a week apart and it was still dark.

Hey guys. Here is a little update. I am pretty happy and surprised with my results. They didn't realized I did a little drain and flush, so my next sample would be different. But I don't foresee doing another ATF fluid analysis anytime soon. But I will drain and fill two more time slowly. That should cycle it.

SnRP9jP.jpg

My next test is too see how well a Purolator Boss 5k filter with Valvoline Modern Engine full synthetic moto 0-20 hold up at 8.5k.

Thanks for posting! Kinda fun comparing your numbers to mine seeing as we did ours not too far apart mileage wise.

Hey guys. Here is a little update. I am pretty happy and surprised with my results. They didn't realized I did a little drain and flush, so my next sample would be different. But I don't foresee doing another ATF fluid analysis anytime soon. But I will drain and fill two more time slowly. That should cycle it.

SnRP9jP.jpg

My next test is too see how well a Purolator Boss 5k filter with Valvoline Modern Engine full synthetic moto 0-20 hold up at 8.5k.
Looks like I'm vindicated once again. I have 102.5K miles now, and I will prove the point in real-world practice in the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Anybody see the transmission thread with codes thrown due to contaminated oil pressure switch? Fix seems to be updating the TCM firmware to give the switch a higher threshold before the transmission is disabled to prevent damage. If that doesnt work, simple hardware fix required. Had not seen that thread until most recent post.

I didn’t plot your data, but I eyeballed it against that graph I made in 2018. The aluminum level in your sample relative to the other 4 samples looks like the aluminum level increases exponentially. The iron and copper levels though look much more linear. Still have to take it with a grain of salt imo with a sample size of below 30. Interesting stuff!

Back