Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skyactiv Transmission Fluid Analysis Thread

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by GAXIBM View Post
    It makes a big difference in stop and go mileage vs highway miles as to how much work the transmission does...
    Yeah that too. I definitely am mostly city driving these days where it used to be mostly highway when I first bought it.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 75k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

And Iím sure terrain plays a role. Iím driving 80/20 highway/city on flat FL roads. Great for lower wear, temps not so great for viscosity lol

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Skyactiv Transmission Fluid Analysis Thread,

Quote Originally Posted by GAXIBM View Post
    It makes a big difference in stop and go mileage vs highway miles as to how much work the transmission does...
    Also in trailer towing、driving with a roof top carrier、driving with frequent short trips or in mountain road; all conditions qualified as "Severe Conditions". The maintenance schedule for ATF drain-and-fill on my 1998 Honda CR-V is cut into ⅓, from 90,000 miles / 72 months to 30,000 miles / 24 months in severe conditions!

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by yugrus View Post
    Guess they are not a real talkative bunch over there.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I am curious if this will prove out Mazdaís claim you donít need to change the fluid or prove as a lot of us suspect that you should. I agree we need a lot more sample before we can start drawing conclusions.

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

There is another thread about AZ ATF, right beside ours. It has some responses.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...-3#Post4886635
    Last edited by yugrus; 10-24-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Quote Originally Posted by yugrus View Post
    There is another thread about AZ ATF, right beside ours. It has some responses.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...-3#Post4886635
    Good find! The analysis on the brand new FZ fluid is great data. Looks like the starting viscosity of the fluid is 44.1 SUS and 5.45 cSt. Comparing our UOA's to Blackstone's 43-51 SUS viscoity range makes it look like slipping below 43 is a big deal. Same scenario for their 5.1-7.9 cSt viscosity range. However, in reality it looks like the SUS viscosity of our used FZ fluid (42.1-42.9) is only a couple units below the starting viscosity of 44.1 after 50-70k miles of use. cST viscosity of our fluid is 4.83-5.08 vs 5.45 new.

For the wear metals, I haven't seen anything on what the acceptable levels would be for specifically the SkyActiv transmission. I just sent an e-mail to Mazda to see if they'd be able to share data or a table with that info. I'll post that later if they respond. In the meantime, I found a generic table from oilanalysis101.com. See the table below. The only wear metal I see creeping up into their "Abnormal" zone is the aluminum in Colorado's sample. The silicon contamination in all of our samples falls into the abnormal category.

Here is another source for reference. Check page 7 of this doc for the "rule of thumb" limits for different components including transmissions. They also state 50 as a limit for aluminum present: http://www.certifiedlabs.com/certifi...s_Handbook.pdf

Wouldn't surprise me if a second sample after another +50k miles has lower wear metals as we likely got rid of the break in metals.

EDIT: Mazda already got back to me. They said the data I was looking for is available only through mazdaserviceinfo.com. If anybody has a subscription to it, Iíd greatly appreciate it if you could share any data on acceptable wear metal levels!
    Last edited by ruthrj; 10-24-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12