Tire pressure sensor 2018 CX5 GT

Kind of lame but ime they cant be trusted and need to be manually checked anyway. At least my 17 F150 does.
Those direct-read tire pressure display such as this found on Nissan Rogue which utilizing TPMS tire pressure sensors is as accurate as any high-quality digital tire pressure gauge. You can see tire pressure for all 4 tires at one glance any time you want, especially in winter time where we need to check tire pressure the most, and realize whether or not any tires need attention. If we cant get direct-read tire pressure information, why bother to use expensive pressure sensors? Our gen-1 CX-5 ABS-sensor TPMS is good enough and much cheaper.

2017-nissan-rogue-safety-tire-pressure-monitor-large.jpg

The TPMS sensors in the wheels and receiver for their signals provide the needed information, so it's definitely disappointing that direct readout of each tire pressure isn't displayed.
I'd think that code could be written to offer the display on the multi-function screen as shown in the Nissan.

That said, I overcame the lack of information in my '17 GT with the following: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
The readout "saved my bacon" in early November by identifying a low RR tire when its alert (along with that in the vehicle) sounded.
I was able to quickly pull off the freeway (directly into a Discount Tire store parking lot (yes)) and identify the punctured RR tire for repair.

The display easily transferred to my '19 Signature and (after training for its sensors and their positions) still works perfectly.

Unfortunately, Amazon shows that it's not currently available and a quick search didn't reveal another source.
If it shows up again or if another source can be located; I highly recommend this display (even though its face is a bit gaudy).

The TPMS sensors in the wheels and receiver for their signals provide the needed information, so it's definitely disappointing that direct readout of each tire pressure isn't displayed.
I'd think that code could be written to offer the display on the multi-function screen as shown in the Nissan.

That said, I overcame the lack of information in my '17 GT with the following: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
The readout "saved my bacon" in early November by identifying a low RR tire when its alert (along with that in the vehicle) sounded.
I was able to quickly pull off the freeway (directly into a Discount Tire store parking lot (yes)) and identify the punctured RR tire for repair.

The display easily transferred to my '19 Signature and (after training for its sensors and their positions) still works perfectly.

Unfortunately, Amazon shows that it's not currently available and a quick search didn't reveal another source.
If it shows up again or if another source can be located; I highly recommend this display (even though its face is a bit gaudy).

That would be a nice work around/alternative.

So, there's a nut that screws onto the stem to keep it in the wheel, and you're saying the new ones are plastic??

I'll go in to my dealership in the next few days and take a picture of one and post it here. The stem press fits through the hole in the rim like conventional old school stems and seats up against a rubber flange. In the meantime go to Google images of "TPMS" and you will see a few there.

Last edited:
I'll go in to my dealership in the next few days and take a picture of one and post it here. The stem press fits through the hole in the rim like conventional old school stems and seats up against a rubber flange. In the meantime go to Google images of "TPMS" and you will see a few there.
You mean there's no nut on like the one on this?

attachment.php

You mean there's no nut on like the one on this?

attachment.php

Yes, I checked with my dealer again yesterday and they confirmed that they no longer recommend TPMS with metal stems and metal nut due to corrosion issues(a big concern up here in Canada where they pound the salt to the roads during the winter). They now sell the AUTEL TPMS as seen in the link below. The sensor stem just pushes into the hole in the rim until it snaps up against the rubber flange. No exposed metal parts to corrode.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=aute...KHR3cAkQQ9QEwAXoECAAQBg#imgrc=PB2ofRN5_St7MM:

Last edited:

Here is the TPMS my dealer now stocks(with no exposed external medal parts on the stem to rust):

autel%20sensor%20(2).jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to share my experience with an aftermarket TPMS monitor (giving back to the community from which I have learned alot). Have the 2018 GT AWD (2.5 NA engine of course) bought in June 2018, and have about 6500 miles on it.

I HATE that Mazda didn*t deem it fit to provide us with real time individual monitoring of the tire pressures, as many other manufacturers are including as standard. Worse yet, they do have the TPMS devices installed that can send data to the main driver display, but for some reason Mazda didn*t program the UI to show them. All the car will do is show is if any tire is below acceptable pressure. Anyway these are facts that we all know already. Given that the technology was there I wanted something aftermarket to monitor the pressure.

A member on this forum found the Orange TPMS monitor designed for the CX-5. A simple search on Google or Amazon will provide it (there*s only one). (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)).
It works off USB power, and reads each tire within about a minute of driving. Installation involved de-pressuring and re-pressuring each tire in sequence so the unit could identify which tire was which. It will also notify if tire pressure reaches over or under a preset pressure (under 27 PSI, can*t remember how much over). Also shows tire temperature (you can select which to display). I will say there is a 1-2 PSI difference between the reading I take with my handheld digital tire pressure gauge, and the reading on the TPMS (the TPMS is over by 1-2 PSI). I am not sure which is correct, but I go by the handheld gauge, and just keep in mind that the TPMS is over by X amount. Mind you this may be normal since one reads air pressure outside the valve stem and the other resides inside it. All the same, the monitor read fine and saves me having to check the tires monthly.

I had an issue with the unit not powering up properly sometimes, but this was due to the cheap USB cable it came with. Simply solved by getting a better cable. Also, there is no night mode, but I keep it in the tray above the shifter and the light is totally unobtrusive at night.
While it is an expensive investment ($100), I am the type of person that much prefers to have this live feed for maintenance and safety.

Anyone know anything about programming these. I got these and put them unto my tires but the tpms light still on.

This is what Mazda suggests:

Each tyre pressure sensor has a unique ID signal code. The signal code must be registered with the TPMS before it can work. The easiest way to do it is to have an Authorised Mazda Dealer change your tyre and complete ID signal code registration.

When an Authorised Mazda Dealer changes your vehicle's tyres, they will complete the tyre pressure sensor ID signal code registration.

If you or someone else changes tyres, you or someone else can also undertake the steps for the TPMS to complete the ID signal code registration. After tyres have been changed, switch the ignition ON, then back to ACC or OFF. Wait for about 15 minutes. After about 15 minutes, drive the vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h (16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tyre pressure sensor ID signal code will be registered automatically.

If the vehicle is driven within about 15 minutes of changing tyres, the tyre pressure monitoring system warning light will flash because the sensor ID signal code would not have been registered. If this happens, park the vehicle for about 15 minutes, after which the sensor ID signal code will register upon driving the vehicle for 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Got me last year a Papago dashcam. It can sync with a specific Papago TPMS and bought it. Working well. 1 monitor for my dashcam and TPMS. Less clutter.

Back